Do you miss the inside info?

NewMarketSean

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to see this discussion still going on. Ultimately, "insider information" provided nothing more than the illusion of special knowledge. Consider the options for the VAST majority of what actually played out here (limiting only to the time that I've been around):

• The information was non-information -- BAL is considering XYZ when logic would dictate that XYZ would have to be considered by any competent team
  • The information was potentially accurate but told with the understanding that most likely it would not be accurate by the time it was told or shortly thereafter -- "dynamic" situations limiting the long term accuracy
  • The information was not accurate -- the teller or the source simply got it wrong

Wasn't the result one of the three options above almost every single time? So I ask, what is the practical use of knowledge that is almost always incorrect, out-of-date or too broad to draw any conclusion upon?

I understand why it was so "exciting" for many -- who doesn't want to be "in the know"? But in reality, it was probably just the illusion of being "in the know" (for all practical purposes) and really made it difficult to have any semblance of a well-rounded discussion on the various topics, as the "inside info" would continually be brought up as a fact or source, rather than the rumor or out-of-date info it actually was a vast majority of the time.

It's interesting to see this discussion still going on. Ultimately, "insider information" provided nothing more than the illusion of special knowledge. Consider the options for the VAST majority of what actually played out here (limiting only to the time that I've been around):
  • The information was non-information -- BAL is considering XYZ when logic would dictate that XYZ would have to be considered by any competent team
  • The information was potentially accurate but told with the understanding that most likely it would not be accurate by the time it was told or shortly thereafter -- "dynamic" situations limiting the long term accuracy
  • The information was not accurate -- the teller or the source simply got it wrong

Wasn't the result one of the three options above almost every single time? So I ask, what is the practical use of knowledge that is almost always incorrect, out-of-date or too broad to draw any conclusion upon?

I understand why it was so "exciting" for many -- who doesn't want to be "in the know"? But in reality, it was probably just the illusion of being "in the know" (for all practical purposes) and really made it difficult to have any semblance of a well-rounded discussion on the various topics, as the "inside info" would continually be brought up as a fact or source, rather than the rumor or out-of-date info it actually was a vast majority of the time.

Exactly. The only value of the inside info/rumors was that special warmth that posters felt when they thought they were basking in the reflected light of "insider knowledge".

I never disliked it because it was wrong - my take was to just add it to the "chatter" that was out there and try to see if I could discern something like a pattern from it all that let me know where the team stood. This was virtually impossible, but kind of fun.

But the way this board seized on the info, the way it went all Golum-like over it, was just out-of-hand.

I didn't like the dynamic that resulted at all. The hierarchies introduced. The strange psychologies. The temper-tantrums (on both sides).

The more abstracted conversations that run through hypotheticals and whatnot were far more interesting.

Nice post.

Yes, I do miss some of the "insider" information. Some of the information that was relayed to the board led to some interesting discussions about what the front office may have been thinking. The problem came when people took what was relayed to the board as gospel.

This thread discussion is an example of the problem.. as I see it. The Insider Info meant something different to a lot of posters. Some valued it, some hated, others respected the effort even if they didn't believe it. And yet, while the OP does ask for opinions, there are many here who are trying to define it for everyone, usually those who didn't care for it. It's a shame that those of us who enjoyed it couldn't continue to do so while those who didn't care for it could just ignore it. And like most things in life, this board has often become a product of the lowest common denominator. It's still the best around, but the difference is a little closer now than when I joined.

This thread discussion is an example of the problem.. as I see it. The Insider Info meant something different to a lot of posters. Some valued it, some hated, others respected the effort even if they didn't believe it. And yet, while the OP does ask for opinions, there are many here who are trying to define it for everyone, usually those who didn't care for it. It's a shame that those of us who enjoyed it couldn't continue to do so while those who didn't care for it could just ignore it. And like most things in life, this board has often become a product of the lowest common denominator. It's still the best around, but the difference is a little closer now than when I joined.

Extremely well said. I agree completely, and while this place is great without the info, there (sadly) were not many things more exciting than coming online to see if Bigbird or Belkast had posted any new insider info, realizing throughout that any info could not be taken as gospel. That said, why is this being talked about in the past tense. Was there something I missed where BB or Belkast or anyone else said they would never divuldge insider info again?

Archived