How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

Fine let me rephrase: MacPhail has never paid (to my knowledge) a six figure or more bonus to a Latin amateur talent.

That's convenient, because I cannot find bonuses for any of the Latin American guys signed in the late 90s, early 00s.

And I can't believe I just wasted a good 25-30 minutes of my life running Google searches to argue with you.

I don't know how much these guys made, but look at the results. The Cubs got as much production out of their Dominican and particularly Venezuelan operations during MacPhail's tenure as CEO than just about anyone else. They were at least above average as an organization and I would guess they were better than that.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like we are players for Sano - which is very exciting - though, as I've written previously, I'd rather spend on multiple talents between $250k and $750K than on the big bonus babies as I believe there is more value there. I do not know what the bidding will be like. It may be like a one-off transaction where the kid goes to the highest bidder - though often the kid's preferred destination and the highest bidder are somewhat orchestrated at the end. If the kid has been working out for us for several days within 10 days of the signing period, it's difficult to believe that could be anything besides encouraging. IMO, any bid north of $4M would be a major effort by the Os to land the kid.

Personnally, I'd be happy if our spend went from near $0 to something between $500k and $1M this year with hopes of increasing our spend as we establish more of a scouting presence in the appropriate places. I'd be disappointed if we lost the bidding for Sano and ended up with little else - part of me hopes this Sano pursuit is a smokescreen to mask our pursuit of other prospects. We'll see.

If the Orioles want him, they should be prepared to pay what it takes to get him and top all offers.

If they aren't prepared to do that, they shouldn't even bid because Sano's agent said money will be the deciding factor.

So if we bid 5 million and some one else goes higher that means we were not a serious bidder??

The Orioles resources are not that limited. We didn't spend our allotment on FA. And you can bet had we actually signed Tex, we would have also extended Roberts and Markakis, so those two didn't suck up the budget either.

This team can afford to risk $5 million or more on the top Latin talent in this international FA class. We are paying Jay Gibbons $6 million not to play for us, so there is money that is coming free on top of the huge amounts of cash from revenue sharing, MLB TV/merchandising revenue and MASN revenue.

Are the Orioles' resources unlimited?

If they are not unlimited, they are limited.

Do you understand the concept of finite resources?

That's convenient, because I cannot find bonuses for any of the Latin American guys signed in the late 90s, early 00s.

And I can't believe I just wasted a good 25-30 minutes of my life running Google searches to argue with you.

It would be nice if there were more of an effort to hold the poster in question to some level of factual basis for the ill-informed assertions made here.

So if we bid 5 million and some one else goes higher that means we were not a serious bidder??

We would be serious in our intentions, just not in our execution. If we want him, we need to offer the most, pure and simple.

Are the Orioles' resources unlimited?

If they are not unlimited, they are limited.

Do you understand the concept of finite resources?

Yes, but I don't see the Orioles or any team getting close to the $10 million mark. With all the dreck we've signed, this team can certainly outbid any other team within that window.

Money was no object supposedly according to Peter Angelos in pursuit of top FA talent last offseason. Money should not be a problem in pursuing Miguel Sano. This team has no excuse to cry poor. If the A's and Pirates can spend millions on Latin talent, so can the Orioles.

Yes, but I don't see the Orioles or any team getting close to the $10 million mark. With all the dreck we've signed, this team can certainly outbid any other team within that window.

These are wholly unrelated. Except in your mind.

Money was no object supposedly according to Peter Angelos in pursuit of top FA talent last offseason. Money should not be a problem in pursuing Miguel Sano. This team has no excuse to cry poor. If the A's and Pirates can spend millions on Latin talent, so can the Orioles.

It's not crying poor. Just because the A's and Pirates think Sano is worth $8m doesn't mean the Orioles should, do, or have to.

:scratchchinhmm:

I bet you are drafting letters to all of the ML teams recommending Treas for a FO job. In the hopes that he someday becomes the GM of some team and makes you a very rich man. Come on admit it.;)

Seriously it looks like your guy has impressed over the past few weeks.

I think this is all a moot point, in that AM stated just recently that he has philosophical problems paying large bonuses to young free agents . Also, last year Stockstill basically said the same thing. Stockstill mentioned he'd rather spread it around, but that is 'Hogwash" , as the O's have not paid anything close to 300,000 thousand to anyone in as long as I can remember.(latin america teenagers basically). People are giving them credit for taking 30 years to upgrade to a "Decent " facility. And for signing an Asian player finally, but until they enter the Latin Market and compete for the "blue chip talent", they get a failing grade from me. Its all talk until they compete for those elite youngsters. You can not compete over the long haul if you can only produce a pitcher every 5 or 10 years from your latin program. THAT is what they've been doing for the last 25 years or more. With 30% or more latin player now in the minors and majors, you have to invest, just as you must in Free Agency and the Draft. You cannot ignore this area, and take the leftovers (the results speak for themselves), and expect to compete. So just jump in and invest in these guys...

Archived