How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not based on principle. It's based on the idea that every dollar not spent could be applied elsewhere at gain for the franchise.

Better video equipment, better facilities, an international signing, etc.

It's not about principle at all. It's about finite resources and trusting your valuations. It's about an inexhaustable effort to make your team better in a variety of ways, rather than simply overpaying for amateur talent.

But that presupposes that every penny is ultimately spent, which I do not believe to be the case. it isn't that money is being horded -- that's not my concern. But if the money isn't otherwise earmarked, why wouldn't I spend the extra $50 or $75K on Harris, particularly if I believe in his talent and concede that a Harris with one more year of development will potentially cost more next year. Even if the price is the same from a bonus standpoint, I'm now forced to spend a top five round pick, which is one less top five round talent ultimately being added to my system.

I think this is all a moot point, in that AM stated just recently that he has philosophical problems paying large bonuses to young free agents . Also, last year Stockstill basically said the same thing.

If this is the case, and I am not disagreeing with you, then why work out Sano for three days? Seems like a waste of time for all parties.

Exactly. If the O's worked out Sano for three days, it's obvious that they are extremely interested in Sano. Plus, they've watched him earlier on in the year too, watching him hit in other places too.

So all of this indicates that the Orioles are serious.

But that presupposes that every penny is ultimately spent, which I do not believe to be the case. it isn't that money is being horded -- that's not my concern. But if the money isn't otherwise earmarked, why wouldn't I spend the extra $50 or $75K on Harris, particularly if I believe in his talent and concede that a Harris with one more year of development will potentially cost more next year. Even if the price is the same from a bonus standpoint, I'm now forced to spend a top five round pick, which is one less top five round talent ultimately being added to my system.

Because you don't have complete information about what opportunities may arise over the course of the season?

Making decisions to spend money above your valuation now because you haven't imagined what else you might spend it on later seems highly Trea-like. Maybe you agree w/ Trea on this front.

If the O's really don't know where else they'll spend the $2m above what they've valued Sano, then perhaps they should just go all-in, I guess.

As Trea says, they'll get what they want.

Is $50,000 > Devin Harris + 1yr - Devin Harris Replacement Pick?

I guess that's your question, absent the earmarks. Seems to me a kind of endowment effect. You know what something's worth, but suddenly your valuation of it elevates simply because it's (sort-of) in your possession.

There is no excuse for the Orioles to not put up the best offer. Especially against the Pirates. They beat the Orioles twice when it mattered. Lets not have it happen for a third time.

Disclaimer: It may be a bit silly to compare the World Series to Sano, but sounds like it could be close.

Archived