Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

It's real sad too see. Melvin Mora is one of my favorite baseball and oriole players of all time. He is an Orioles legend and definite Orioles HOF.I have always loved what he has done on and off the field for this franchise. I grew up with the orioles being good then absolutley horrendous. After My childhood favorites Like Ripken, Surhoff, Mussina, Hoiles, Anderson, and Alomar (I can't stand him now but he I loved him as a kid for some reason)he was like the only Oriole to root for.He always did more than we expected of him and still the majority of Orioles fans ragged on him. I always thought that he was treated unfair by the fans of this city. For anyone to say he is a selfish player and doesn't care about this organization or this city is just absurd to me. I agree his time is done and I agree with Trembley here he just hasn't done anything this year and Wiggington needs more playing time. He is just frustrated right now and venting he will eventually come to understand Trembley's reasoning. He is a class act and deserves all the respect from Orioles fans and I hope he gets to leave at the end of this season with his dignity and pride.

Crying about respect when you haven't performed for the entire year so far, isn't a class act. Trembley has been beyond patient with him took him 3+ months just to remove him from the 5 hole.

I think he cares about the city and the fans, but a reasonable human being should realize he has underperformed mightly. I mean... 3 hr from your 5 hitter? Thats not going to cut it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4372548

Made the front page of the worldwide leader. Wow. He has a sprained foot. Then go on the freakin DL and stop being selfish and hurting the freakin team.

I feel as though this divorce is about to get ugly in a hurry.

Holy crap, I wish elsid was still here.

"I don't appreciate the disrespect, because <b>I've been playing hurt for a guy who won't respect you</b>. I don't deserve it,"

Am I reading this wrong??! Elsid always talked about how a few players didn't really respect DT.

I'm a little mindblown. Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

Made the front page of the worldwide leader. Wow. He has a sprained foot. Then go on the freakin DL and stop being selfish and hurting the freakin team.

I can't stand the whole third person talk. "This is a guy..." Ahhh!:rolleyes:

I say trade him for anything you can get, or just flat out release him. Bring up my boy Justin Turner and be done with it. I'm pretty sure Mr. MacPhail is not dumb and has been keeping an eye on this all year long. Just a hunch.

"Don't give me the excuse that I cannot beat John Smoltz, that I cannot beat Josh Beckett or I cannot beat [Jon] Lester or I cannot beat Pedro Martinez..."

Pedro doesn't play for the Sox last time I checked. Poor Mora... :laughlol:

He needs to be released...

It's not like DT has pushed Melvin aside for the sake of the future. Melvin has not contributed to the team at all this season. DT stuck by him and kept playing him and even refused to drop him down in the lineup for quite a while. Melvin can only blame himself for the current lack of playing time. He was given every opportunity to earn it.

Like I said, Mora should have went about this differently and I appreciate what Trembley has done and said, but we should try and have a little more compassion for a guy who has given a whole lot to this franchise and is realizing that he is at the end of his playing career.

Unfortunately, it appears Mora has NOT realized that he's reaching the end of the line.

I think Trembley's gone about this in the right way. It's not like he bad-mouthed Mora or made some proclamation that Mora's done. This had to happen at some point and there really isn't a good way to do it.

Who knows, maybe Mora will get angry enough to inject a little life into his play. Clearly the status quo wasn't acceptable.

I know it feels good to say get rid of the bum but I don't know if this club wants to set the precedent that you can pop off in the media and get yourself a ticket out of here. Maybe a Pie looks out the outfield situation, decides he doesn't want to get stuck in a backup role, starts talking and makes himself all but untradeable. Or maybe Andino tries it or Zaun decides he'd like a shot at the playoffs late in his career and pops off. As long as Mora's not refusing to do what's asked of him, I'd let him sit and finish out the season. Then we'll see him when he's inducted into the Oriole hall of fame in a few years.

This makes you appreciate Gregg Zaun. He might not have a batting title and an all-star appearance, but he's played in the majors for 14 years and does have a ring. And yet, when he was displaced by a kid with only one year of professional service, you didn't hear squat from him--rather, he relishes the role of mentor and veteran, and comes to the park ready to play once a week.

Kind of refreshing, isn't it. ;)

Archived