Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

It was clear a couple of weeks ago when he talked about wanting to play for four more years that Mora has a grossly overinflated view of his own value. So it's not a surprise that he'd take a benching as an insult--he thinks he's still good enough to play for four more years.

I think the hardest pill to swallow here is his comment to Ortiz about how Francona has been in the league longer than Trembley. Playing poorly and whining to the media is bad enough, but by insulting Trembley and belittling his lack of major league and managerial experience, Mora has probably punched his ticket off the team. It's a real shame--he has been a good player for long enough that he deserved a more honorable send-off than this, but he's brought this on himself.

I can guartantee Melvin that Boston would not of put up with his nonesense over the years. Hopefully he gets released so everyone can move on. A couple of years from now he will go into the Orioles Hall of Fame and everyone can move on. He has been a good player but like alot of athletes he has a sense of entitlement that only a few deserve and he isn't one of them.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin Mora's career is dead. Melvin is in the denial stage. He really, really needs to shut up right now, but the denial stage is whispering bad things in his ear at every juncture.

I can't imagine he's going to get you picks at the end of the year. Just stash him on the 60-day DL and be done with it.

I bet everyone involved is regretting that no-trade clause right about now.

Have to agree here. The guy has done a lot of good things over the years for the Orioles, but he's been terrible all year with the bat for a third baseman and Trembley has gone out of the way to "give him respect" by telling him when he was going to sit, keeping higher in the lineup than he should have, etc.

You want more playing time? Produce. Trembley wants to put the best team out there to avoid a collapse and if that means Mora sits, then he sits.

Earl Weaver sat Brook Robinson, and me thinks Brooks did a little more than Mora over the years.

Amen. Well put... especially the comments about Brooks. I've been a big Mora fan... but his comments reflect poorly on him and what his legacy will be with this team.

Guest Sailor Jerry

Let's not get carried away. It leaves a bad taste in our mouths, but once Mora is gone all we'll hear about is how great of a player he was on this team. Eddie Murray left the O's on bad terms once upon a time, and we see how that turned out. That's not to say Mora is on Murray's level, because he's not. But someday this will be just a blip.

I was hoping that Melvin would go out with some class this year. Oh well.

I'd cut him now. We're better off without attitudes like that from people who don't warrant it. I don't want our young, promising players learning anything from him at this point.

Let's not get carried away. It leaves a bad taste in our mouths, but once Mora is gone all we'll hear about is how great of a player he was on this team. Eddie Murray left the O's on bad terms once upon a time, and we see how that turned out. That's not to say Mora is on Murray's level, because he's not. But someday this will be just a blip.

Than there will be those that will want to have him be the hitting coach!?!?

:eek:

What is unfortunate with all of this is that Mora has been a very good Oriole...especially when you consider what we all expected of him when we landed him in the Bordick deal (I believe that was when we got him, if my memory is correct). He was expected to be a utility player...spot playing time, etc...but I think it is fair to say he far outdid expectations. BUT, this is a very classless move by him (assuming the reports are accurate and no important info is missing). The O's are rebuilding...and have some young guys in the clubhouse and in the farm that will watch this situation. Mora has basically forced the O's hand...because I don't think they can afford to have guys like Reimold, Weiters, Tillman, Matusz, etc learn from this example. Mora should have approached Trembley and McPhail...and he should have gone out with class and helped the organization show those players what it means to be a professional Major League player and how to handle tough times. Whether they release him now, or don't pick up his option in the offseason, his split from the O's will be bitter. It didn't have to be like this - very sad.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised by his comments. As soon as the stories came out about him getting less playing time and Wigginton starting more at 3rd, all I could do was play the waiting game. Sure enough, it happened.

To say I'm disappointed with Melvin would be an understatement. This has been done in terribly bad form by him, and it's one in a series of incidents like this where has sounded off, without seemingly thinking of the team first. His performance is such now that his taking a seat and playing less is better for the team, whether he wants to admit it or not.

I just can't see this ending well.

It's pretty crazy how people can't understand Melvin's frustration here. Sure, I wish he wouldn't have said what he said, but I can tell you that I'd feel the same way. He's been with a miserable team for pretty much his whole career and he's beyond frustrated.

Hopefully this is the end of it, or i'll be on the Melvin Mora bashing bandwagon as well. But I say one emotional outburst from a guy who's given everything to this team even though he knew they weren't going to win is fully understandable. I feel for the guy.

We agree:wedge:

Stop beating on Melvin:bangwall:

Show some kindness:):clap3:

Thank You

I'm going to echo what many of you have already said: What a selfish and delusional ball player. I for one that thought DT was handling Mora well this year. It's been clear to everyone for awhile now that Melvin is in serious decline and won't be back next year. However, the right move was to continue to respect him for his contribution over the years by not completely benching him or releasing him like some here wanted. He has the nerve to talk about disrespect when that's exactly what he is doing to this organization. At this point, I could care less if he ever represents this O's again in any manner.

Does Melvin's reduced PT make it more likely that he would agree to waive his no trade clause? Even though I agree with the posters who celebrate his overall career with the O's, his jump-the-shark comments leave me thinking that at this point it would be a good deal if we can get back 30 cents on the dollar for him. No prospects needed. Just a bit of contract relief.

Does Melvin's reduced PT make it more likely that he would agree to waive his no trade clause? Even though I agree with the posters who celebrate his overall career with the O's, his jump-the-shark comments leave me thinking that at this point it would be a good deal if we can get back 30 cents on the dollar for him. No prospects needed. Just a bit of contract relief.

At this point the Orioles might just eat the whole contract (as if they were releasing him) and play the PR up to make it seem like they were sending him to a contender to honor him.

At this point the Orioles might just eat the whole contract (as if they were releasing him) and play the PR up to make it seem like they were sending him to a contender to honor him.

Given his production, what contender is gonna make roster room for Melvin Mora?

Archived