Melvin's Tipping Point

jamessemaj

To be fair, Zaun knew exactly what he was going to be doing when he signed a contract.

Agreed. Their situations are not very similar. But Zaun has nonetheless demonstrated the proper way for a veteran to act. Regardless of the situations surrounding them when the two signed their respective contracts, there is NEVER a guarantee that anyone is going to play a certain number of games. If you want to play, you have to earn it. If Zaun was batting .300 with 15 HR at the end of May, maybe Wieters wouldn't have taken over right then. Zaun seems to be perceptive enough to understand where he is in his career, and how to best make use of what he has left to help the team. Can't say the same for Melvin.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This takes away the sting of having to release a long-time Oriole. But you can't give Mora his way now, it makes the team look weak. Melvin is finished and should realize this. Release him and let him have a chance to get picked up by a contending team that might use him off the bench for the playoffs. He was done in Baltimore at the end of the season anyway.

This takes away the sting of having to release a long-time Oriole. But you can't give Mora his way now, it makes the team look weak.

Nobody is gonna give Melvin his way. DT is gonna do what he thinks is best for team, and AM is gonna have a quiet and polite conversation with Mora about how the team doesn't need distractions, and explain how Mora's choice is to either shut up or hit the road... and we'll never know anything about it... which is how it should be...

Earl Weaver sat Brook Robinson, and me thinks Brooks did a little more than Mora over the years.
Brooks was pushed aside into retirement before the season ended, on August 13, 1977 to make room for Rick Dempsey.

Mora has been shown respect. It's his sense of entitlement, me-first attitude, that shows disrespect to the rest of the team.

Adios, Melvin. Thanks for the memories.

I still like Melvin and don't want to just wash my hands of him... but Trombley treated him with respect, let him know ahead of time when he wasn't going to be in the lineup, and was patient with him. Trumbley is not being unfair here, and Melvin needs to sit and think about the situation from outside his own perspective. They said during the commentary of the O's game today that perhaps he was taking issue with the excuses being given, like that he can't hit Smoltz, or whatever. In that way, maybe Trambley wasn't being completely straightforward.

I always imagined that if I'd been fortunate enough to be able to play major league baseball, I would've kept playing until the uniform was torn off me by somebody telling me I could no longer play.

It takes a lot of confidence to play ball at the major league level, and Mora still has that although his skills have eroded with age and wear. I say 'good for Melvin' and pardon him 100% for lacking whatever self-awareness or Oprah/Dr. Phil phrase of the week that us message board posters want him to exercise.

For all the complaints about guys dogging it down the line and whatnot, you'd think somebody actually desiring to play would get a little more slack.

The idea that Mora's feelings will prove toxic in a clubhouse full of his peers who'd probably think much the same thing in his shoes (though I'll admit most wouldn't commit the 'crime' of saying it) is very overrated to me. They're all big boys.

How I wish we could all root for Mora even harder than ever and enjoy these last opportunites to see him in an Orioles uniform. Sure, he's been compensated more than fairly financially, but as fans I think we owe him that.

Brooks was pushed aside into retirement before the season ended, on August 13, 1977 to make room for Rick Dempsey.

Mora has been shown respect. It's his sense of entitlement, me-first attitude, that shows disrespect to the rest of the team.

Adios, Melvin. Thanks for the memories.

Brooks also knew he was done, the only reason he was on the team in 1977 was because some bad investments had left him broke.

It's pretty crazy how people can't understand Melvin's frustration here. Sure, I wish he wouldn't have said what he said, but I can tell you that I'd feel the same way. He's been with a miserable team for pretty much his whole career and he's beyond frustrated.

Hopefully this is the end of it, or i'll be on the Melvin Mora bashing bandwagon as well. But I say one emotional outburst from a guy who's given everything to this team even though he knew they weren't going to win is fully understandable. I feel for the guy.

I gotta say that I agree with this. Mora should have held his tongue and I don't appreciate the things he said. It's gotta be hard for him or anyone in this position to have to face the harsh reality that they aren't good enough to play the game they love anymore. I don't think we can really grasp how tough it is for these guys to get to the end of their careers and realize that they can't do it anymore and that they have to leave behind the life they had led for however many years.

Like I said, Mora should have went about this differently and I appreciate what Trembley has done and said, but we should try and have a little more compassion for a guy who has given a whole lot to this franchise and is realizing that he is at the end of his playing career.

This takes away the sting of having to release a long-time Oriole. But you can't give Mora his way now, it makes the team look weak. Melvin is finished and should realize this. Release him and let him have a chance to get picked up by a contending team that might use him off the bench for the playoffs. He was done in Baltimore at the end of the season anyway.

Nice thought. Couple this with the "fine- I'll leave then get to pick where I want to play." The answer to both hypothetical is the same: no one would waste a roster spot on Mora at this point. Keep dreaming. Melmo's options include Japan, the Mexican League, and perhaps the Pirates.

I agree . If a guy's not hitting, he should be benched. Who's next- let's see- Luke? can't hit the plate no less a ball. Mr Clutch Huff? He's never seen a dirt ball he didn't swing and miss at when men are in scoring position. Joe Cool Roberts? Why wasn't he benched when he hit a dry spell. Mr Nick " I hit when it doesn't count" Markakis? Or even first pitch Wiggy? Why haven't these guys been benched?

He's got 15 extra base hits for the whole year, in 316 PA!

Even if he were signed by a contender (if the Orioles release him), I'd suspect he would be left off of a playoff roster, push comes to shove.

It's real sad too see. Melvin Mora is one of my favorite baseball and oriole players of all time. He is an Orioles legend and definite Orioles HOF.I have always loved what he has done on and off the field for this franchise. I grew up with the orioles being good then absolutley horrendous. After My childhood favorites Like Ripken, Surhoff, Mussina, Hoiles, Anderson, and Alomar (I can't stand him now but he I loved him as a kid for some reason)he was like the only Oriole to root for.He always did more than we expected of him and still the majority of Orioles fans ragged on him. I always thought that he was treated unfair by the fans of this city. For anyone to say he is a selfish player and doesn't care about this organization or this city is just absurd to me. I agree his time is done and I agree with Trembley here he just hasn't done anything this year and Wiggington needs more playing time. He is just frustrated right now and venting he will eventually come to understand Trembley's reasoning. He is a class act and deserves all the respect from Orioles fans and I hope he gets to leave at the end of this season with his dignity and pride.

Archived