Orioles' 40 Man Roster 2009/2010 OffSeason Discussion

Crazysilver03

I think there's very little chance of Moeller being on the 40 man before the winter meetings. No one will claim him and he'd just be taking up a spot for a prospect here. The O's will probably tell him that he has a spot here if he wants it and it'll be up to him to join us after the WM.

Again, if anyone wants the guys who we outright, it would be better to get them off of waivers and not the Rule V. The claim fee is cheaper and they can always outright them again later. It's been stated that we should outright guys and see if they slip through the Rule V....but the Rule V is not the hard part....it's getting them through waivers. Maybe the timing of the Rule V works better for the decision making process of some teams, but if we pass a guy through waivers, he's probably getting through the Rule V as well.

I do want to give Hill one more chance, but the fact that he's injured means that I doubt anyone will put a wiaver claim on him. I'd outright him, without question.

Good points.

I think whether Moeller is put on the 40 man roster before the Rule draft may depend on how he hits the rest of the year. If he hits .280 or .300 with an 800 OPS he will stand out like a sore thumb among the backup catcher and that we make him in demand. If he hit .240 he will be just like everyone else and probably can be signed to a AAA contract which keeps him off the roster until opening day.

Also it depends on whether they pick up the option because of the cost. And it depends on whether Moeller feels he is getting as good a deal from the O's has he can get elsewhere (if the option is not picked up).

The O's seem to want him though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"And you've got (Brandon) Snyder and (Rhyne) Hughes that we picked up from Tampa, in addition to what we have now at first," MacPhail said, "so you temper what's available and what you think you've got coming, which can have an impact on really how far you go or what kind of player you go after. But those are definitely areas we'd like to address."

I think that makes it pretty likely that Hughes is protected as well.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

Aubrey has convinced me that he has to be protected on the 40 man roster.

The question is who goes? I think there may have to be a trade involved.

Fiorentino is the player that is so deep on the depth chart that he has little chance of making the team next spring. He is out of options. I think he is traded before the Rule 5 draft.

My guess: Fiorentino for Toronto AAA SS Angel Sanchez.

Sanchez was not called up at the end of the season and he is not scheduled to go to the AFL. It would seems that the Blue Jays are not really interested in him, but the O's should be. He has a chance of hitting better than Andino and he carries a pretty nice glove.

After the trade is made I would DFA Andino which makes room on the 40 man roster. I would try to get Andino to accept a spot on the AAA roster.

I think the O's keep Hughes on the 40 man roster because of the uncertain nature of first base at this point.

40 man roster projection

Starters

1. Bergy – 24

2. Matusz - 23

3. Tillman - 21/22

4. Guthrie – 31

5. Hernandez – 24

Relievers

6. J Johnson - 26

7. Mickolio - 25 - has options

8. Castillo -34 – has options

9. Uehara - 35

10. Hendrickson - 35 - re-signed

11. Albers - 27

12. Berken - 26 - has options

Additional pitchers

13. Lambert - 27 - has options

14. Ray -28 – has options

15. Meredith -26 - has options

16. Erbe - 22 - has options

17. Perrault - 27 - has options

18. S Johnson - 22 - has options

19. Thall -24 - has options

20. Lebron -25 – has option

21. Perez - 25 - has options

22. Spoone - 24 - has options

23. Patton - 24 - has option

Catchers

24. Wieters - 23

Outfielders

25. Markakis - 26

26. Jones - 24

27. Reimold - 26

28. Pie - 25

29. Montanez - 28 - has options

1B

30. Aubrey - 27/28

31. Scott – 31

32. Snyder - 23 - has options

33. Hughes - 26 -has options

2B

34. Roberts- 32

35. Turner - 25 - has options

SS

36. Izturis - 30

37. Florimon – 23 – has options

3B

38. Wigginton - 32

39. Bell - 22 - has options

Trade

40. SS Angel Sanchez - 26 for Fiorentino

DFA Andino

Exposed

Bass -28

Pauley - 26

Miller - 27/28

McCrory - 27

Waters - 29

Mora - 38 - FA

Moeller - 35

Baez - 32 - FA

Simon - 28

Hill - 30

Sarfate – 29

Liz - 26

Henn - 28/29

Does not need to be protected

Arrieta - 24 - has options

Britton - 22 - has options

Waring - 24 - has options

Ages as of April 2010

Every year, people on this board get excited about dime a dozen guys...We have all done it..We see a role for these guys and giving them that role makes a lot more sense than spending a few million on a vet that gives you the same production.

That being said, you have to recognize these guys for what they are.

Remember something, the people making it to the big leagues are there for a reason..they have talent...They have skills.

Almost all of these guys show something that make you say, that guy should be kept around.

But at the end of the day, they are replaceable pieces and losing them doesn't really hurt you.

The Orioles appear to be going away from giving out the poor contracts like Baez, Bradford, Walker and Payton..If they are going to stay away from that, then keeping these guys around become less important because you just go pick them up on MiL deals and not protect them on the 40 man..and then move them to the 40 man when you need to.

Let's clear this Moeller situation up. If he indeed does have an 800,000 option for next year, the O's will protect him. I'm sure they are happy with him as the backup and want him back. They'd essentially have to release him (and owe him 800K) to take him off of the roster now. Add to this, the O's have absolutely no backup catchers that are ML quality in the system, save for Caleb Joseph, who certainly isn't ready yet, and the O's most definitely want getting minor league AB's next year. The only way Moeller is not on the 40 man is if he is a FA and has no 2010 option. JMO

I don't understand your thinking here. If Moeller has a option and the O's don't pick it up, then the O's do not owe him the $800K.

The O's don't have to have a backup catcher in the minors that is ready. There will be 10 backup catchers on the free agent market. I agree the O's like Moeller, but I think they can not pick up his option and still sign him to a AAA contract. If he goes elsewhere they pick up a backup catcher from the free agent market. The risk is minimal.

Think of all the putrid backup catchers the O's have had over the years. Moeller was actually good and he only costs 800K. That's worth a 40 man spot to me. Why would Moeller let the O's not pick up his 800K option and then resign with them on a minor league contract? That makes no sense.

Because the Orioles could tell him he will be their back-up catcher, but they want to use his roster spot.

Moeller could have left the team when Wieters was called up and he was DFA'ed but he stayed around, probably because he was assured he would be the next catcher called up if something was needed on the major league team.

The Orioles could do the same this off-season. He was understanding of it once, so why not try it a second time.

Since the original post was made, there were several changes to the 40 man roster.

There are currently 40 players on the 40 man roster, with Bergesen, Jones, Uehara, Hill, and Simon on the 60 Day DL.

Some of the additions to the 40 man roster in August/September included Turner, Aubrey, Henn, GRodriguez, and Fiorentino.

Turner was one of six players I am sure will be added to the roster. So there will be at least five more additions, plus another five spots will be needed to return the 60 Day DL players to the roster, so at least 10 spots need to open up.

Danys Baez, Melvin Mora, and Mark Hendrickson will all leave for free agency. Sean Henn, Guillermo Rodriguez, Chris Waters, Radhames Liz, Jim Miller, Bob McCrory, and Alfredo Simon will definitely be removed from the roster. So there are the minimum 10 spots needed, though it is really 9 players since Simon will be removed straight from the 60 Day DL without returning to the 40 man roster.

Brian Bass, Matt Albers, Dennis Sarfate, Chris Lambert, Jeff Fiorentino, Michael Aubrey, Alberto Castillo, and Rich Hill are other options to be removed immediately after the season and during the off-season as well.

I don't see an advantage to making any moves immediately. I think as the time nears to protect 40 players, AM will do so.
I never said they wouldn't. AND I wasn't challenging your remarks. It was my opinion.

There are a few advantages (and necessities) to remove players right away.

First, players from the 60 Day DL have to be brought back to the active roster.

Second, it is good for the players like Guillermo Rodriguez, Jeff Fiorentino, and Chris Waters, whom will be minor league free agents once they are removed from the roster. They can start looking for new teams, if they want to, sooner.

Not to steal Crazysilver03's thunder, I thought I'd update his expected 40-man roster heading into the Rule 5 Draft on 12/10 (I think) since a few players have changed. IMO it will look like this:

Pitchers:

1. Albers

2. Bass

3. Bergesen

4. Berken

5. Erbe

6. Guthrie

7. Hernandez

8. Johnson, Jim

9. Johnson, Steve

10. Matusz

11. Meredith

12. Mickolio

13. Patton

14. Perez

15. Perrault

16. Ray

17. Sarfate

18. Spoone

19. Tillman

20. Uehara

Catchers

21. Wieters

Infielders

22. Andino

23. Aubrey

24. Bell

25. Izturis

26. Roberts

27. Snyder

28. Turner

29. Wigginton

Outfielders

30. Fiorentino

31. Jones

32. Markakis

33. Montanez

34. Pie

35. Reimold

36. Scott

Did I miss anyone?

AM being AM, we obviously will be going into the Rule 5 Draft with a full 40 players protected. It looks to me like the final four spots will be selected from among Castillo, Waters, Lambert, Liz, Hill and Beato. Anybody else?

Archived