Kansas City, Washington, San Diego

Lets not forget Washington, Seattle, and San Diego signing their first round picks as well.

True, but if Washington doesn't, having the pick after them could net us a certain pitcher.

A few months ago we all posted theoreticals that involved us getting Strasburg, and we all agreed it was nearly impossible. I'm not so sure its impossible anymore.

True, but if Washington doesn't, having the pick after them could net us a certain pitcher.

A few months ago we all posted theoreticals that involved us getting Strasburg, and we all agreed it was nearly impossible. I'm not so sure its impossible anymore.

Word is if that does happen there is no way San Diego will pass up Strasburg. He's a local boy and that team desperately needs a face to the franchise after dumping Peavy. And SD ownership claims they will increase payroll next season. ;)

Word is if that does happen there is no way San Diego will pass up Strasburg. He's a local boy and that team desperately needs a face to the franchise after dumping Peavy. And SD ownership claims they will increase payroll next season. ;)

We may have a pick before SD next year. It's like a 3 game difference currently. . . .

We may have a pick before SD next year. It's like a 3 game difference currently. . . .

I see us finishing with the 3rd worse record in baseball (Nats, Royals, O's, Padres, Pirates). I think Strasburg signs with the Nationals for $17-22 Million. After giving Strasburg that kind of money this year, I see the Nationals passing on a tough sign next year. The Royals get Harper and the Orioles miss out on a top talent for an extra 2 or 3 wins in a 30 game under .500 season!

We can't even loose right!!!!

I see us finishing with the 3rd worse record in baseball (Nats, Royals, O's, Padres, Pirates). I think Strasburg signs with the Nationals for $17-22 Million. After giving Strasburg that kind of money this year, I see the Nationals passing on a tough sign next year. The Royals get Harper and the Orioles miss out on a top talent for an extra 2 or 3 wins in a 30 game under .500 season!

We can't even loose right!!!!

And our fans can't spell lose right when ranting about our W-L record :)

2008: We chose Brian Matusz after these guys

Tim Beckham - Putting up similar numbers to our high schoolers in A ball. High K/Low BB rate.

Pedro Alvarez - Respectable power numbers between Adv-A & AA but striking out more than once a game.

Eric Hosmer - High school 1B, only 19, between A & Adv-A has put up an OPS under .700.

2007: We chose Matt Wieters after these guys

David Price - Living up to the hype though struggling with control.

Michael Moustakas - High school SS that has already been moved to 3B.

Josh Vitters - 3B that has posted a career fielding percentage below .900.

Daniel Moskos - K rate dropped significantly each year (9 to 7 to 3). Walked more guys than he has struck out in AA.

Where would moving up have gotten us better than the young battery we have now?

All this poo is only coming up because people are drooling over Bryce Harper, and we don't know how well he's going to play next year at JuCo at 17 years old. Just forget Strasburg since he will definitely sign when it is all said and done. Boras doesn't want to look like J.P. Ricciardi. Strasburg will look like a fool if he doesn't accept the record money he's going to be offered, and he will only fall in the draft unless someone is going to pay him $50 million and put him in the MLB rotation right away. Dustin Ackley will sign because he won't be drafted any higher than 2 next year either.

:skeletor:

2008: We chose Brian Matusz after these guys

Tim Beckham - Putting up similar numbers to our high schoolers in A ball. High K/Low BB rate.

Pedro Alvarez - Respectable power numbers between Adv-A & AA but striking out more than once a game.

Eric Hosmer - High school 1B, only 19, between A & Adv-A has put up an OPS under .700.

2007: We chose Matt Wieters after these guys

David Price - Living up to the hype though struggling with control.

Michael Moustakas - High school SS that has already been moved to 3B.

Josh Vitters - 3B that has posted a career fielding percentage below .900.

Daniel Moskos - K rate dropped significantly each year (9 to 7 to 3). Walked more guys than he has struck out in AA.

Where would moving up have gotten us better than the young battery we have now?

All this poo is only coming up because people are drooling over Bryce Harper, and we don't know how well he's going to play next year at JuCo at 17 years old. Just forget Strasburg since he will definitely sign when it is all said and done. Boras doesn't want to look like J.P. Ricciardi. Strasburg will look like a fool if he doesn't accept the record money he's going to be offered, and he will only fall in the draft unless someone is going to pay him $50 million and put him in the MLB rotation right away. Dustin Ackley will sign because he won't be drafted any higher than 2 next year either.

:skeletor:

I'm actually thinking that picking 8-12 would be better for the O's. Many here whined that Hobgood was an overdraft for signability reasons (although it does appear JJ wanted him). Would Hobgood have been there at 10, probably. Drafting a guy that is a bit cheaper allows us to spend more for other picks (as they are showing right now). I can see the excitement a bit more with the NFL/NBA draft, but not with the MLB draft. There is just too much projecting to really be sure about these guys, especially a super young guy like Harper (or even Sano really). It's good to sign the high upside guys when possible, but I would rather a better September this year.

Plus, it would mean we would hit a stride and actually finish the season a bit more on the winning side of things.

I'm actually thinking that picking 8-12 would be better for the O's. Many here whined that Hobgood was an overdraft for signability reasons (although it does appear JJ wanted him). Would Hobgood have been there at 10, probably. Drafting a guy that is a bit cheaper allows us to spend more for other picks (as they are showing right now). I can see the excitement a bit more with the NFL/NBA draft, but not with the MLB draft. There is just too much projecting to really be sure about these guys, especially a super young guy like Harper (or even Sano really). It's good to sign the high upside guys when possible, but I would rather a better September this year.

Plus, it would mean we would hit a stride and actually finish the season a bit more on the winning side of things.

And if you look at some of the drafts, the "signability" guys fall to later picks plus some overlooked or undervalued guys drop down. Where you pick in the draft hardly matters in a sport where I pick who I think is the best player, and he might be number 8 in your mind.

Best part is, we would both be right.

Archived