Tate expected to sign with San Diego for $6.5M

http://twitter.com/kingclip/status/3333252738

Mind you, Wieters only got $6M and he was the highest paid bonus 2 years ago.

Is Tate really that good to be worth $6.5M? If he is signing for that, then Ackley should be able to at least get $8M and Strasburg $10-12M.

Really surprised by this. I know a lot of people here don't agree with me. I don't think he's worth $6.5, but I guess he's worth whatever someone wants to pay him. Really surprised SD is ponying up the money like that, especially for a HS kid.

I too am surprised by this, I wouldn't be in favor of giving Tate $6.5 million if the O's had drafted him. However, I'm glad this is getting done because it clears some space at the top of next year's draft, and because I can't stand anything associated with UNC :laughlol:

I'm more surprised that Tampa was able to sign Luke Bailey and Jeff Malm. It'll be interesting to see if they lock down Diekroeger, but I bet he goes to Stanford. Either way, I'm impressed with their draft.

<b>Really surprised by this. I know a lot of people here don't agree with me. I don't think he's worth $6.5, but I guess he's worth whatever someone wants to pay him. Really surprised SD is ponying up the money like that, especially for a HS kid.</b>

That's some serious buckaroos for Tate. I've never seen him play, but as you said, I guess he's worth whatever Padres are willing to pay. Still seems like a ton of money for a HS kid who will need a few years to get to the show, but word is that it will take at least that for Matzek, too, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Speaking of which, according to Coach Horton from UO, Matzek is moving up to Eugene this weekend, but he said it may not be permanent if he decides to sign. I think I read somewhere that Oregon doesn't have sales tax, or whatever it is that allows these guys to pay less taxes on their bonuses, so I wonder if he will try to establish residency by Monday so if he signs, he would be considered an Oregon resident and would keep more of his bonus. Is that possible, or am I mistaken? I understand Florida and Nevada are two other states with this law.

I too am surprised by this, I wouldn't be in favor of giving Tate $6.5 million if the O's had drafted him. However, I'm glad this is getting done because it clears some space at the top of next year's draft, and because I can't stand anything associated with UNC :laughlol:

This is the part that really impacts the O's. He was going to a four-year school so he wasn't going to be back in the pool next year if he didn't sign and it would have pushed our pick back a spot.

Poley, Malm agreed to terms with the Rays on the 13th, but the details of the deal will not be released until sometime after Monday. Signing Malm and Bailey is absolutely huge, considering that Malm had a strong college commitment, and Bailey was coming off of an injury. One Tampa Bay website that is probably comparable to the OH speculated that the Malm deal would be in the 800-850K range.

BringBackMagic, I agree 100%. I wouldn't mind if Ackley went back into the draft pool, because I think we would have a shot at him, but Tate needed to get done to help our draft standing. I hope that most of these unsigned 1st rounders get done so that our second round pick won't be affected.

Archived