AM in the Twin's Booth...

TyCobb

Yeah, he's forcing them to carry the team on their shoulders without any outside support except for a few stopgaps here or there.

How is that helping them succeed?

Do you actually think MLB players think like this?

These young guys are probably excited and looking to make a name for themselves.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see MacPhail's already written off 2010, though it's no surprise.

I bet the team will be real motivated to play with another year with no shot at the playoffs.

How about the Orioles actually try to put a winning product on the field?

This will be the 2nd full season wasted under MacPhail's watch.

I'm going to love to see how he sells season tickets for 2010.

What is less surprising are your comments. You have good baseball thoughts at times, but you yell wolf so often that almost no one is going to care. If building a winning team overnight in the toughest division in professional sports were as easy as you make it seem, I'm sure someone smarter than you would've figured it out by now.

Yeah, he's forcing them to carry the team on their shoulders without any outside support except for a few stopgaps here or there.

How is that helping them succeed?

You can argue it will force them to learn to be better pitchers. Matusz isn't going to be successful with an ERA of 6.75 next year, no matter the lineup. He should improve as I would expect also for Reimold, Jones, Markakis and Wieters which represent a big chunk of the lineup.

Do you actually think MLB players think like this?

These young guys are probably excited and looking to make a name for themselves.

The young players may be excited now, but it's sure going to be frustrating for the guys like Markakis and Roberts who will be playing another year with a team that while it's committed to youth, isn't necessarily committed to winning, at least not at the ML level.

We and they were told that we were going to experience growing pains this season, and now guess what, more of the same next season.

We've got money and resources to improve this team, yet we continue to hoard them and just sit and wait for what exactly?

The young players may be excited now, but it's sure going to be frustrating for the guys like Markakis and Roberts who will be playing another year with a team that while it's committed to youth, isn't necessarily committed to winning, at least not at the ML level.

We and they were told that we were going to experience growing pains this season, and now guess what, more of the same next season.

Well, this isn't true...I am sure AM expects the young guys to be better next year...I mean, don't you?

I apologize to everyone else for straying off topic, but it is posts like those you've made in this thread that lead to people giving you so much grief.

I concur.

Although I usually disagree with him, many of his posts are pretty well thought out and make some sense. This however,...:no:

Did they think it was going to be a 1 year type thing?

Opening Day rotation this year was Guts, Koji (unknown), Eaton (Bad), Simon (Bad), and Hendrickson (bad).

Next year it should be full of talented guys that are showing Markakis and Roberts what they got.

I apologize to everyone else for straying off topic, but it is posts like those you've made in this thread that lead to people giving you so much grief.

I'll take the grief because I can't believe so many people are actually happy with MacPhail essentially writing off another year.

Of course we expect improvement from our young guys, but to me it's asking a lot to expect all these guys to develop and support each other both pitching and hitting wise with all the inconsistency that is going to come from their development curves.

I don't know if JTrea was on board with the blow-it up concept that was so widely discussed and supported on here, and has basically be executed by AM, but I am amazed at the general lack of patience there seems to be on here. If you wanted to blow it up, then you should have expected growing pains.

Well, this isn't true...I am sure AM expects the young guys to be better next year...I mean, don't you?

How much better though? Enough to beat the Yankees and Red Sox?

Enough to support the young pitching which will be inconsistent?

Enough to pitch lights out when they don't get any run support from an inconsistent offense?

I guess we'll find out. I guess I'm just frustrated because the Orioles have resources to do so much more, yet they want to supposedly wait another year before using them...

I'll take the grief because I can't believe so many people are actually happy with MacPhail essentially writing off another year.

Of course we expect improvement from our young guys, but to me it's asking a lot to expect all these guys to develop and support each other both pitching and hitting wise with all the inconsistency that is going to come from their development curves.

As far as making the playoffs, sure he's basically writing it off, but I don't think he has much choice in the matter. There's not really a realistic way to put together a team that is likely to make the playoffs next year imo.

What do you mean by the young guys supporting each other?

As far as making the playoffs, sure he's basically writing it off, but I don't think he has much choice in the matter. There's not really a realistic way to put together a team that is likely to make the playoffs next year imo.

What do you mean by the young guys supporting each other?

The inconsistent hitting is going to have to support the inconsistent pitching and vice versa.

That's not exactly a reciepe for success IMO.

He isn't writing off the season - he's being sensible. I'd rather see him stick to his plan than give up some really good, young talent for a 1B who can become a FA and leave in two years (a player who has made it clear that he likes living in SoCal).

By the way, congratulations on de-railing yet another perfectly good thread.

I'm not derailing it, just raising questions that need to be asked.

And for the umpteenth time it doesn't have to be AGon as a solution. I just want to see some support for these young guys as well as the players that have committed to this team like Roberts and Markakis. Throw them a bone...

The inconsistent hitting is going to have to support the inconsistent pitching and vice versa.

Yesterday, you said you would expect an 815ish OPS from Jones, Nick, Wieters, Pie, BRob and Reimold..I asked what you felt the team OPS would be based off of that...Didn't get an answer...So, where do you see the team OPS next year if we basically keep the same team.

Not in terms of wins and losses, although there should be a decent improvement there, but it's not an issue as far as individual development is concerned imo.

Archived