Roch: O's may look to get a big bat this offseason

LookinUp

I can't believe this hasn't been posted:

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

• Will the Orioles try to add a big bat over the winter?

It sure looks that way. But before you ask...

• Through free agency or a trade?

Wow, you're quick. And that's what she...nevermind. As I was about to say, they'll explore free agency and trades. I don't have any names at this time. It's still August. I checked the calendar. But you can be sure that any potential deals will hinge on their willingness to part with some young pitching prospects. How much do you want to break up the cavalry?

• Would you rather have Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder?

I'll tell you what I've told a few women in the past: "Please, no names."

• We already know your strikeout totals. Can we get back to Gonzalez and Fielder?

If I'm hosting a dinner party, I'll take Gonzalez. It would be cheaper. Otherwise, it's a toss-up. Fielder's weight concerns me. In a perfect world, I'd take a slugger who can carry a team when needed, and who also has won in the past. Someone who can rattle a few cages if the effort starts to lag. Someone who brings a little juice to the clubhouse. And I mean the good kind. This team needs a vocal leader, a guy who walks loudly and carries a big stick. I'm not sure Gonzalez and Fielder qualify, but their numbers would fit nicely in the middle of the lineup. There's no denying it.

Interesting...:scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Orioles sign a better hitter than Wigginton this offseason (preferably significantly better) I will be happy.

My spider sense tells me tho that they are going to be looking for an economical stop gap more than a big impact hitter.

Am I the only one that thinks Roch is just speculating on what the best decision for the team would be? (To get a power-hitting 1B)

It just seems like he's saying the obvious and smart thing. It's not like this is coming from MacPhail or the front office.

I'd be really interested to see what type of hitter they could bring back for a package built around Arrieta, Snyder, and someone like Scott or Guthrie. I imagine it would be someone pretty good but not sure it could bring back Adrian Gonzalez.

on competing in future: "Need to fill some holes. Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. Then we may look to add via FA" : From "AM visits Twins Both" blog

Not to sure what AM meant by this, but i seems contadictorary to what Roch is saying.... I would like to see it, but do not think it will happen. Not to mention we will have to trade for opposed to a FA signing.

Am I the only one that thinks Roch is just speculating on what the best decision for the team would be? (To get a power-hitting 1B)

It just seems like he's saying the obvious and smart thing. It's not like this is coming from MacPhail or the front office.

It's certainly not an on the record...but I'm sure he has convos.

Yes...He has regular conversations with AM about things...its part of his job.

It's certainly not an on the record...but I'm sure he has convos.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm just saying from re-reading the article a couple times, it sounds more like general discussion of the best-possible move in the offseason for the O's, more than a "this is the plan--let's go out there and get someone" post.

If we could get AGon giving up Arrieta as the main piece and also we have the capability of signing him to an extension, then I do that deal. If they want Tillman, I just don't like the idea of doing that.

Tillman has been dominant going through our system and I think anyone who watches him sees he could be a star. Arrieta has struggled a bit in AAA and some think he may be better suited for back-end bullpen. He's also a Boras client.

I don't know what else we'd have to give up in addition to Arrieta, but I'd try and start with him.

If I had to guess what Roch or the FO mean by "big bat", I would think they were talking about a Ty Wigginton type player, not an Adrian Gonzalez type player. Ty Wigginton did, at one point, have a "big bat" but not a huge bat. That's just how I interpret that.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Orioles look into Russell Branyan, who seems to fit that mold of player.

It's probably very well informed speculation, if it's speculation at all. But Andy tends not to be too mysterious about these things. My guess is that between the end of the season and the start of the winter meetings, he will make it pretty clear what he's looking at (not necessarily who he's looking at).

Archived