BA's Carolina League Top Twenty

alexei606

Could be. But taking age, performance and skillset/stuff into account, what is the argument for Britton ahead of Casey Kelly? Or would Britton be just behind him, you're saying?

To be fair, Kelly was a #1 pick and considered to be one of the top pitchers, while Britton was a #3, with projectability but not the ceiling of Kelly. Though, I don't think that BA is "padding" the list with Boston players - Boston really is the best now at identifying and developing players. I posted this in the other thread, but, this is a good series about how Boston transformed their MiL system.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be. But taking age, performance and skillset/stuff into account, what is the argument for Britton ahead of Casey Kelly? Or would Britton be just behind him, you're saying?

I hope we have a break out prospect like Kelly or Jordan Lyles in the upcoming season.....

Kelly sure did get a whole bunch more press than Britton did. IMHO there isnt a huge diff between the 2 as far as prospect status goes, but Kelly is slightly younger. Im sure BA would rank Kelly ahead of Britton, but for me its a tough call...Id probably give Kelly the slight nod even though I like Britton's K's more.

Does BA give Kelly the much bigger upperhand since hes a 2-way player even if his offensive game isnt quite as good as his pitching?

I hope we have a break out prospect like Kelly or Jordan Lyles in the upcoming season.....

Kelly sure did get a whole bunch more press than Britton did. IMHO there isnt a huge diff between the 2 as far as prospect status goes, but Kelly is slightly younger. Im sure BA would rank Kelly ahead of Britton, but for me its a tough call...Id probably give Kelly the slight nod even though I like Britton's K's more.

Does BA give Kelly the much bigger upperhand since hes a 2-way player even if his offensive game isnt quite as good as his pitching?

I would think the 2-way player hurts him because it's less time he's working on pitching. Where would he be if that were his focus? Pretty scary if 19 at HiA is developing slower than he otherwise could be, no?

Britton definitely had a better K rate, but I think Kelly may have had the better SO/BB -- not sure. Also, I think the split time might affect his development on the mound, though I'm not using that as an excuse. I think if BAL had a choice, they'd take Kelly over Britton.

To be fair, Kelly was a #1 pick and considered to be one of the top pitchers, while Britton was a #3, with projectability but not the ceiling of Kelly. Though, I don't think that BA is "padding" the list with Boston players - Boston really is the best now at identifying and developing players. I posted this in the other thread, but, this is a good series about how Boston transformed their MiL system.

Absoultely. Westmoreland would be an example of an overslot signing that other teams ignored some and BOS really worked on throughout the spring with the relationship ultimately paying off in Westmoreland agreeing to sign.

My comment was specifically addressing the claim that Britton would be a top 5 if he were in the BOS system -- I don't think he would rate ahead of Kelly (and I think he'd actually rate about where he does, though I concede he could be up a little bit).

I would think the 2-way player hurts him because it's less time he's working on pitching. Where would he be if that were his focus? Pretty scary if 19 at HiA is developing slower than he otherwise could be, no?

Britton definitely had a better K rate, but I think Kelly may have had the better SO/BB -- not sure. Also, I think the split time might affect his development on the mound, though I'm not using that as an excuse. I think if BAL had a choice, they'd take Kelly over Britton.

I'm not too worried about Kelly's development. It seems the Sox have an idea how many innings they want on his arm . . . then they let him play in the field. It seems his arm though will progress much faster than his bat, so I imagine he'll figure out on his own where he is best suited.

I'm not too worried about Kelly's development. It seems the Sox have an idea how many innings they want on his arm . . . then they let him play in the field. It seems his arm though will progress much faster than his bat, so I imagine he'll figure out on his own where he is best suited.

I'm not worried about his development -- I'm impressed that he continues to progress so quickly while splitting time, that's all.

I'm not worried about his development -- I'm impressed that he continues to progress so quickly while splitting time, that's all.

From what I understood, he really does not do much in the field while he is pitching . . . only when he hits his max innings. What do you think would cause his pitching to take a step back if he is being withheld from throwing the ball? I guess I am largely ignorant about what happens to a pitcher when he is shut down. I'm more on the hillside than in the city on this one.

Absoultely. Westmoreland would be an example of an overslot signing that other teams ignored some and BOS really worked on throughout the spring with the relationship ultimately paying off in Westmoreland agreeing to sign.

My comment was specifically addressing the claim that Britton would be a top 5 if he were in the BOS system -- I don't think he would rate ahead of Kelly (and I think he'd actually rate about where he does, though I concede he could be up a little bit).

Westmoreland also was from NE, but yeah, I agree - Boston does the extras to get who they want and they have consistently found and developed talent since their breakthrough draft of 2005. As for this list, look at Kalish - 9th round pick, who signed for $600,000 (second round money). BTW, the Orioles at that pick.

From what I understood, he really does not do much in the field while he is pitching . . . only when he hits his max innings. What do you think would cause his pitching to take a step back if he is being withheld from throwing the ball? I guess I am largely ignorant about what happens to a pitcher when he is shut down. I'm more on the hillside than in the city on this one.

I don't know about MiL conditioning, but at least at the competitive amateur / college ranks pitchers will still throw some side sessions. More importantly, conditioning and training focusing on pitching. I don't think it's a huge deal at all -- just pointing out that he isn't devoting his focus solely to the craft of pitching. Instead of throwing a bullpen or charting a game, perhaps he's getting ABs and/or taking BP.

Again, not a huge deal, but there are plenty of ways to progress even after being shut down.

Westmoreland also was from NE, but yeah, I agree - Boston does the extras to get who they want and they have consistently found and developed talent since their breakthrough draft of 2005. As for this list, look at Kalish - 9th round pick, who signed for $600,000 (second round money). BTW, the Orioles at that pick.

Good point -- Westmoreland may have made a special exception just for BOS. Likewise, perhaps it just gave BOS better access than other teams?

Kelly is two years younger, more athletic and somewhat more projectable. Britton pitched an entire season in the CL, a league with eight teams, and was dominant. Kelly did well, but spent most of the year in low-A and only made one trip around the CL. The second time around is the true test of a pitcher's ability/performance in that league. Both need work on their changeups.

I have not seen Kelly pitch, but I saw Britton two years ago. Based on what I have read, probably have to put Kelly just ahead of him based on age...for now. Britton gets a value bump for being LH.

IIRC, wasn't Kelly playing SS because that is where he wants to play? I mean I thought that was one of the conditions of him signing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kelly is two years younger, more athletic and somewhat more projectable. Britton pitched an entire season in the CL, a league with eight teams, and was dominant. Kelly did well, but spent most of the year in low-A and only made one trip around the CL. The second time around is the true test of a pitcher's ability/performance in that league. Both need work on their changeups.

I have not seen Kelly pitch, but I saw Britton two years ago. Based on what I have read, probably have to put Kelly just ahead of him based on age...for now. Britton gets a value bump for being LH.

IIRC, wasn't Kelly playing SS because that is where he wants to play? I mean I thought that was one of the conditions of him signing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes. It looks like BOS is letting him continue to play SS (because he wants to play everyday). The hope is that he'll see he has a brighter future as a pitcher.

I understand what you are saying about taking trips through the league, but it seems unfair to ding Kelly simply because he didn't get the chance to pitch through the league mulitple times. I saw Kelly twice on film this year and didn't see Britton.

Yes. It looks like BOS is letting him continue to play SS (because he wants to play everyday). The hope is that he'll see he has a brighter future as a pitcher.

I understand what you are saying about taking trips through the league, but it seems unfair to ding Kelly simply because he didn't get the chance to pitch through the league mulitple times. I saw Kelly twice on film this year and didn't see Britton.

Not really knocking the kid, he's a premium talent and deserves a high rank here. I'm just giving the whole picture. I think it's fair to point out that he hasn't been through the small Carolina League a second or third time like Britton has. Britton has also faced many of the same hitters in previous years that he faced in Frederick this year. The book isn't really out on Kelly yet, and when it is we'll see how he adjusts.

In retrospect, I may be somewhat guilty of seeing our prospects through Orange glasses at times. I do believe BA has a tendency to overhype certain organization's prospects, but it may just be that they give them the benefit of the doubt due to that organization's ability to develop talent versus say that of BAL or other teams.

Strangely, I might be the only person who knocks people down for being left handed. I find that lefthanders typically have an easier go of it in the low minors that eventually peters out by AAA. If a southpaw and a righty have the same numbers in HiA . . . I would bet on the righty making it. Low minors hitters really have a fit with lefties.

Archived