Should Billy Rowell crack the Top 30?

ChaosLex

Should Billy Rowell crack the Top 30?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should Billy Rowell crack the Top 30?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.

Even if he's only got a 5% chance at absolute best of reaching his upside, he's still got a ton of talent and he's still very young. Now if next year he has a similarly terrible year maybe he slips out, but he should definitely still be in the Top 30 this year.

Barring devastating injury, no 20 year-old can have a bad enough season to go from a team's 5th best prospect to out of the top 30. Its just not possible.

Absolutely.

Even if he's only got a 5% chance at absolute best of reaching his upside, he's still got a ton of talent and he's still very young. Now if next year he has a similarly terrible year maybe he slips out, but he should definitely still be in the Top 30 this year.

Barring devastating injury, no 20 year-old can have a bad enough season to go from a team's 5th best prospect to out of the top 30. Its just not possible.

I might be off my rocker, but I could've sworn I saw a couple of posts (plural) earlier this year that said Rowell would be lucky to make the Top 30. Like I said, perhaps I'm hearing things (or mistaking Rowell for another player), but I could've sworn it was Rowell that was being referenced.

I believe he should make the Top 30; however, I also believe it should be towards the end of the list...

I might be off my rocker, but I could've sworn I saw a couple of posts (plural) earlier this year that said Rowell would be lucky to make the Top 30. Like I said, perhaps I'm hearing things (or mistaking Rowell for another player), but I could've sworn it was Rowell that was being referenced.

I believe he should make the Top 30; however, I also believe it should be towards the end of the list...

Also, keep in mind that I have no idea who wrote these posts. For all I know it could've been a mod OR someone that was released after 10 posts. :laughlol:

I just remember the topic being discussed.

I'm not going to waste time on it, but if you give me an alphabetical list of all Orioles Minor leaguers and draft picks from this years, I can easily find 30 that I think have a better chance of being major league baseball players. So far he's failed to show the ability to play defense at any position, make consistent contact, hit for any power when he does, or run particularly well. So he's a one tool player and that tool is a strong arm? He's actually gotten worse in every way every year since he graduated from high school. He's gotten less from his so-called talent than any player in the history of our minor leagues (not injury related). At least Matt Riley made it to the majors before his immaturity got the better of him. Rowell didn't even wait to get out of A ball. I would feel sorry for him if his fairly well report attitude problems didn't make it so hard.

Rowell almost make me glade God didn't bless me with the talent to play ball. I'm a big enough jerk with no talent at all. :)

I do not see why Rowell would not crack the top 30? He still has arguably the best of tools among anyone in our system. Yes, the move off of third hurts him, but he was only 20-years old this past season, and will be 21-years old at AA. In other words, he is one solid year at Bowie away from being a solid prospect again. His physical tools and age definitely work for him in placing him in the top 30. I am not sure if his production could warrant a top 20 selection, but his potential is too much to keep him out of the top 30.

I'm not going to waste time on it, but if you give me an alphabetical list of all Orioles Minor leaguers and draft picks from this years, I can easily find 30 that I think have a better chance of being major league baseball players. So far he's failed to show the ability to play defense at any position, make consistent contact, hit for any power when he does, or run particularly well. So he's a one tool player and that tool is a strong arm? He's actually gotten worse in every way every year since he graduated from high school. He's gotten less from his so-called talent than any player in the history of our minor leagues (not injury related). At least Matt Riley made it to the majors before his immaturity got the better of him. Rowell didn't even wait to get out of A ball. I would feel sorry for him if his fairly well report attitude problems didn't make it so hard.

Rowell almost make me glade God didn't bless me with the talent to play ball. I'm a big enough jerk with no talent at all. :)

Good post. Hard to argue with anything you wrote.

Notice I didn't say "Will." ;)

Curious to see what everyone thinks.

If you can show me a scouting report from this past year then Ill give you a good answer. But, without knowing truthfully if his originall skills are still there I cannot tell you. From many different sources it seems to have been said that his swing isnt quick and its very long. If thts the case then no, he doesnt belong, I dont care what his age is, if the tools no longer exist hes no prospect. But, if the info is wrong or off, and he still does have a quick bat and plus raw power, then he should be a top 30 guy. But, this year with so many draftees with very high ceilings, his status is definitely getting pushed down the ladder.

I realize that he's still relatively young and he has serious power potential. There just seems to be no signs of life and the numbers keep dropping. Jordan has done well with the first round picks but this isn't one of them. He's totally off the radar for me.

If you can show me a scouting report from this past year then Ill give you a good answer. But, without knowing truthfully if his originall skills are still there I cannot tell you. From many different sources it seems to have been said that his swing isnt quick and its very long. If thts the case then no, he doesnt belong, I dont care what his age is, if the tools no longer exist hes no prospect. But, if the info is wrong or off, and he still does have a quick bat and plus raw power, then he should be a top 30 guy. But, this year with so many draftees with very high ceilings, his status is definitely getting pushed down the ladder.

I wasn't able to see much of him this year. It seems his approach the last couple years has him focused on hitting homeruns. His swing is a little loopy and it is resulting is an incredibly high incidence of fly balls and groundballs. He also appears to be waiting for fastballs and looking silly on change ups. HiA ball change ups just seem to eat him up.

I don't think he has much of a chance. Unless he hits a major point in development or revamps his mechanics . . . I just do not see much there. His recognition is awful. I don't think he has a chance at AA.

To not put Rowell in the Top 30 would just be out of spite that he's been a massive disappointment. His talent is still there. There is a reason he was drafted as highly as he was and, sadly, his numbers did actually improve this year even though they were disappointing.

I have a bad feeling that Rowell will end up leaving our system and pop up some September with a National League club when he's 27-28 and suddenly turn into a passable major leaguer. Now, that doesn't mean we should hold onto him until then, but it's just the feeling I get.

To not put Rowell in the Top 30 would just be out of spite that he's been a massive disappointment. His talent is still there. There is a reason he was drafted as highly as he was and, sadly, his numbers did actually improve this year even though they were disappointing.

I have a bad feeling that Rowell will end up leaving our system and pop up some September with a National League club when he's 27-28 and suddenly turn into a passable major leaguer. Now, that doesn't mean we should hold onto him until then, but it's just the feeling I get.

He will only be there if we don't think there are 30 more players who we like better. I'll give you a hint, there are AT least 30 more players we like better.

Archived