Report: 3-Team Trade possibility that includes Adrian Gonzalez heating up!

My O's Face

For the last few years, a lot of people here have advocated trying to get Gonzalez, myself included. But now, the growing consensus seems to be that he would cost us too much in young talent. That means we have to look at other options.

Out of curiosity, I checked Gonzalez’s MiL stats, and then compared them to those of Brandon Snyder. I was somewhat surprised to see how similar they were at comparable ages.

Could it be that Snyder is our Adrian Gonzalez?

Gonzalez

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gonzal001adr

Snyder

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=snyder002bra

Gonzalez was in AA at age 20, Snyder at 22. I'd definitely give Gonzalez the edge based on MiL history.

Gonzalez was in AA at age 20, Snyder at 22. I'd definitely give Gonzalez the edge based on MiL history.

Maybe....but like Gonzales (excluding a late season call up), Snyder will likely see the majors this year, at age 23, the same age Gonzales did. And when Snyder arrives, he will likely assume the role of F/T first baseman.....something Gonzalez didn't achieve until age 24.

And like Gonzalez, I can see Snyder's power rapidly developing at the ML level.

Trading for A Gon has never been a question of whether or not we have the prospects to pull off the trade.

Instead, it has been more a function of obtaining a 5-6 WAR player but giving up players that in aggregate could potentially total 15+ WAR.

The O's are not 5-6 WAR away from contention. We need to hit the prospect lottery and have many of these guys emerge as as above average to all-star caliber players.

It's a simple as that.

Quite the contrary, IMO. Most of the youth that has been building, like you said, is now ready. We are basically two serious pieces away, IMO. Gonzalez and one other big time pitcher, Lackey, or something else next year, something. With Fiortenio, Scott, Reimold, Gathright (hit .325 in 330PA last year in Norfolk), etc. etc. I think we can expend a solid outfielder. If you add a big time pitcher, paired with Guthrie, Berg, Tillman, Matusz, Patton, Arrieta, Erbe, Britton, etc. etc. I think we could also expend a pitcher. So long as the other two/three pieces are AA or below I think A Gon could be the missing link.

A Gon has two cheap years left, if in that time we can mount at least one serious run I think the rise in att. could get him extended. The question, what packaged are we going to have to compete with and what pitcher is the big time anchor?

If you keep the core: Jones, Markakis, Weiters, and Roberts....

Add A Gon

Then the rotation sits with:

Lackey (someone similiar), Mautsz, Tillman

It is really not expensive, which could also lead to the chance of signing a big time closer: Mike G., Valverde, Wagner (cheaper), etc. etc.

I think that would match up well to:

Jeter, Damon, Tex, A Rod, Cano (assuming Damon resigns)

C.C., Burnett, Hughes/Joba

M. Rivera

Riddle me this how do you plan on getting A Gon when you don't mention trading anyone in the core to obtain him. If you think SD is going to just hand him over I've got some beach front to sell you in Kansas.

I'm saying Scott, Gathright, Fiortenio, Pie, Reimold: one or two would reap something.

One high ceiling pitcher, Arrieta or anyone but Mautsz/Tillman. Then three high level prospects. We have last year's overall number five pick starting his way through the minors this year and supposedly he has 95 MPH all day. I think we can expend a Hernandez, Arrieta, Reimold/Pie, Scott, prospect for A Gon and be a MUCH better team.

I'm saying Scott, Gathright, Fiortenio, Pie, Reimold: one or two would reap something.

One high ceiling pitcher, Arrieta or anyone but Mautsz/Tillman. Then three high level prospects. We have last year's overall number five pick starting his way through the minors this year and supposedly he has 95 MPH all day. I think we can expend a Hernandez, Arrieta, Reimold/Pie, Scott, prospect for A Gon and be a MUCH better team.

You're not getting Gonzalez without giving up any elite level prospects or young MLB players.

You've gotta include one of Jones, Wieters, Matusz, or Tillman to get him. Anything short of that, and the Padres will go elsewhere. Reimold and Arrieta are nice prospects, but neither are a top-20 guy that SD will be looking for to headline the package.

Gonzalez isn't quite the guy Miguel Cabrera is, but the Tigers gave up two top-10 in all of MLB prospects to land him. Something like that is what the Padres are looking for, not 3 good but not great prospects and a guy they can't afford (Scott).

If you think SD is going to just hand him over I've got some beach front to sell you in Kansas.

I believe this property is spoken for...

I say we trade Liz for Tex, Chris Ray for A Gon (backup 1B) and if we can get Eaton back, send him to Toronto for Halladay

You do know that Gathright was traded to Boston this summer, and Fiorentino is a free agent because he declined his outright assignment when he was taken off the 40-man roster? Not that either of them had any trade value, and their only real value to the Orioles was as possible 4th or 5th outfielder in case of injuries to the starters. Scott has some value but not in a trade for someone like A-Gon. Pie or Reimold could be part of a package, but it would likely have to also include at least two of the young starting pitchers, one of whom was in Baltimore last year (Matusz or Tillman, not Berken or Hernandez). It's just not worth the organizational cost - right now.

For everyone wanting a Frank Robinson type deal, keep in mind that when the Orioles had that busy offseason in 1965 they had already won 94 games that season. The system had already brought a bunch of guys up and integrated them into the majors, and had more on the way. We're at least a year behind that now. The team should always try to improve, every year. It's just not reasonable to expect to make all the moves necessary to try to win the Series in 2010 at the expense of the long term strength and stability of the organization.

So you are going with no? I think we as much as any team could possibly be in need of the A Gon trade.

25 teams could. Including the one he's on now.

We have LOTS of prospects

Lots? No.

over filled OF

Arguable.

nobody at 1B or 3B

Wrong.

nobody that can hit 30HRs (for sure)

Wrong (even if we make the deal).

and the Big Three are here.

Matusz, Tillman and Bergesen?

Archived