Report: 3-Team Trade possibility that includes Adrian Gonzalez heating up!

My O's Face

I know... not another Gonzo thread, but I had to. We need to get in on this...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/report-of-three-way-trade-talks-involving-adrian-gonzalez-to-the-white-sox-raise-complex-issues.html

The Chicago Tribune is reporting Initial trade talks involving the White Sox, San Diego and the Los Angeles Angels would send Padres left-handed-hitting first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox, first baseman Paul Konerko to the Angels and prospects to the Padres, SoxNet.net reported today.

Sox general manager Ken Williams has made no secret of his quest for a left-handed hitter, and a team source acknowledged last month that the club has had interest in Gonzalez in previous years.

But the complexity of such a deal requires close examination, and SoxNet.net emphasized that discussions were in the early stages.

First, Gonzalez, 27, will earn "only" $4.75 million in 2010, with a club option for $5.5 million in 2011. He will command a huge extension, given that he has hit 130 home runs and driven in 400 runs over his past four seasons, in addition to winning a 2009 National League Gold Glove for his defense.

His ability to hit with power to all fields makes him an attractive fit at U.S. Cellular Field.

I believe we have better prospects to offer.

I know... not another Gonzo thread' date=' but I had to. We need to get in on this...

[url']http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/report-of-three-way-trade-talks-involving-adrian-gonzalez-to-the-white-sox-raise-complex-issues.html[/url]

We probably do have better prospects, but we're not in the same position that the White Sox and Angels are right now. I just don't think we can afford to part with Tillman, Snyder, Reimold and whoever else would net us Gonzo.

I'd love to have the guy hitting cleanup in our lineup...it just ain't happening.

I know... not another Gonzo thread' date=' but I had to. We need to get in on this...

[url']http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/report-of-three-way-trade-talks-involving-adrian-gonzalez-to-the-white-sox-raise-complex-issues.html[/url]

That well may be true, but trading a handful of these prospects isn't in our best interest. Gonzalez isn't coming to Baltimore unless he's in the visitors clubhouse.

Trading for A Gon has never been a question of whether or not we have the prospects to pull off the trade.

Instead, it has been more a function of obtaining a 5-6 WAR player but giving up players that in aggregate could potentially total 15+ WAR.

The O's are not 5-6 WAR away from contention. We need to hit the prospect lottery and have many of these guys emerge as as above average to all-star caliber players.

It's a simple as that.

The sox don't really have the prospects either.

What do the Angels want Konerko for?

The only think I can think of is for DH because Morales has 1B locked down.

I didn't think the ChiSox had the prospects after they dealt for Peavy. And the Angels certainly won't give up a ton for Konerko.

So something is missing here.

We can certainly beat anything the Sox have to offer.

Trading for A Gon has never been a question of whether or not we have the prospects to pull off the trade.

Instead, it has been more a function of obtaining a 5-6 WAR player but giving up players that in aggregate could potentially total 15+ WAR.

The O's are not 5-6 WAR away from contention. We need to hit the prospect lottery and have many of these guys emerge as as above average to all-star caliber players.

It's a simple as that.

This. x 1000.

IMO, the only significance of this information to us is that the White Sox are willing to move Konerko and they are looking for a lefthanded bat (e.g., Luke Scott). If this trade doesn't happen, then maybe Konerko can end up in Orange and Black.

This will get a bunch of people riled up because everyone thinks we've got better prospects than the White Sox, but you still have to meet the price the Padres want. The White Sox would also be getting a nice return for Konerko most likely from Anaheim, and that adds to the value. I imagine that they'll be asking for Beckham from Chicago and maybe Wood from Anaheim along with some other White Sox prospects.

If the final price is something reasonable, then I think there is cause for discussion, but for now, assume that we'd have to beat the reported ofer that Boston made in July. That deal included some pretty significant talent.

I still think a trade for Gonzalez is a overall poor idea due to the high cost of prospects to give up and the high cost of a potential extension.

Sorry but i don't beleive AGon is the direction for the O's to go in.

IMO, the only significance of this information to us is that the White Sox are willing to move Konerko and they are looking for a lefthanded bat (e.g., Luke Scott). If this trade doesn't happen, then maybe Konerko can end up in Orange and Black.
I would like to target Konerko as well, but he has a NTC. I think there is a decent chance he wouldn't allow a trade to Baltimore. Anahiem is more likely since they are already a contender and the favorite in the West.

It is interesting that Anaheim, Baltimore, and Chicago were the 3 teams most heavily after him when he was a FA 5 years ago. He turned down more money from both Baltimore and Anaheim to remain in Chicago.

I would like to target Konerko as well, but he has a NTC. I think there is a decent chance he wouldn't allow a trade to Baltimore. Anahiem is more likely since they are already a contender and the favorite in the West.

It is interesting that Anaheim, Baltimore, and Chicago were the 3 teams most heavily after him when he was a FA 5 years ago. He turned down more money from both Baltimore and Anaheim to remain in Chicago.

Even with the NTC, he may waive the NTC if O's "sweeten the pot" a little for him (e.g., add $1 million to his deal). The fact that he considered the O's five years ago, plus the young talent we now possess, also gives me hope.

BTW, I agree that Anaheim would be more attractive to Paulie than B'More, if the teams can work out the terms.

For the last few years, a lot of people here have advocated trying to get Gonzalez, myself included. But now, the growing consensus seems to be that he would cost us too much in young talent. That means we have to look at other options.

Out of curiosity, I checked Gonzalez’s MiL stats, and then compared them to those of Brandon Snyder. I was somewhat surprised to see how similar they were at comparable ages.

Could it be that Snyder is our Adrian Gonzalez?

Gonzalez

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gonzal001adr

Snyder

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=snyder002bra

Archived