Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Javy Lopez makes alot of sense but it looks like a prospect would have to go. I still wanna see how Olson pans out and no way I entertain thoughts of Penn, Loewen, ect for Shealy. Johnson looks like a good match to me. I think the best thing that could happen would be for the Rockies to go on a tear and solidify a playoff run. Then I think Javy looks like a very smart move for them. Javy's far from finished and hitting in Colorado for a contender might make a few of us wish he still was an Oriole.

Javy Lopez makes alot of sense but it looks like a prospect would have to go. I still wanna see how Olson pans out and no way I entertain thoughts of Penn, Loewen, ect for Shealy. Johnson looks like a good match to me. I think the best thing that could happen would be for the Rockies to go on a tear and solidify a playoff run. Then I think Javy looks like a very smart move for them. Javy's far from finished and hitting in Colorado for a contender might make a few of us wish he still was an Oriole.
I agree if we are trading any of these pitchers I would like to see them put together a package to get Crawford from TB.

From the Toronto Sun this morning...

The Blue Jays are in the midst of trade talks with the Colorado Rockies in an attempt to acquire first baseman Ryan Shealy.

Shealy, 26, is hitting .284 with 12 homers and 43 RBIs at triple-A Colorado Springs. He can't make the Rockies because of their everyday first baseman, Todd Helton, who is hitting .300 with six home runs and 31 RBIs.

In 2005, Shealy batted .328 with 26 homers and 88 RBIs and he projects as a designated hitter.

Colorado wants a pitching prospect in return.

If the Jays, who already have a potent offence, acquire Shealy, does this mean Shea Hillenbrand could be moved for either another arm or an infielder?

Hillenbrand is hitting .321 this season with 11 home runs and 35 RBIs.

The Jays are not the only team in the chase for Shealy as both the Boston Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles also have an interest.

The Chicago Cubs suggested reliever David Aarsdma last month, but the Rockies turned down that deal.

The Orioles wanted the Rockies to take Javier Lopez, which does not interest the Rockies either.

I told you guys this yeaterday;) Bottom line is the ball in in our court. We know who they'll take in trade and only have to say YES to make it a done deal. At some point the front office needs to be risk takers and have the balls to make bold moves in hope of upgrading talent. The deal could have been made Thursday evening from what I'm told but we end up farting around and allow other teams enter the mix. Typical O's MO.

This tells me that the Rockies probably do not feel they can win the division this year.
That's weird. They're only 3 out in a pretty mediocre division. I can see Javy really helping them a lot.

As I mentioned before, we'd probably have to expand it a little bit.

Javy + $ + Liz/Olson/Johnson

for

Shealy + Good positional prospect.

The quality of the prospect coming to us would depend on how much salary we eat. If we eat most or all of the salary, I would expect a top-10 prospect.

But if they don't think they can win this year, that probably doesn't work.

I told you guys this yeaterday;) Bottom line is the ball in in our court. We know who they'll take in trade and only have to say YES to make it a done deal. At some point the front office needs to be risk takers and have the balls to make bold moves in hope of upgrading talent. The deal could have been made Thursday evening from what I'm told but we end up farting around and allow other teams enter the mix. Typical O's MO.
Who are the other names, besides Olson? Why don't they want Javy? Is what SG said accurate, ie. they don't think they can win this year?

That's weird. They're only 3 out in a pretty mediocre division. I can see Javy really helping them a lot.

As I mentioned before, we'd probably have to expand it a little bit.

Javy + $ + Liz/Olson/Johnson

for

Shealy + Good positional prospect.

The quality of the prospect coming to us would depend on how much salary we eat. If we eat most or all of the salary, I would expect a top-10 prospect.

But if they don't think they can win this year, that probably doesn't work.

If I'm there GM I'm thinking I can pick up a Javy talent at the deadline for a lot less than Shealy.

Think about it this way: The Red Sox dealt Bronson Arroyo, a serviceable ML starter, for Wily Mo Pena, a guy who is similar to Shealy in career track - highly touted prospect, never really got a shot. Pena has more power and is a little younger; Shealy hits for a better average and has better OBP.

So, in that light, trading a Liz/Olson/JJ - all unproven prospects - for Shealy doesn't seem so bad.

BB but without knowing who is on that list it is hard to say if the FO is right or wrong. Do we know who are the two players named? Or better yet has your contact told you? If he has, I understand that it may not be proper to say who, but should thay pull the trigger?

If it is Olson, they have to do that deal IMO. the only thing that would hold it up for me is if you could get Botts or Kotchman/Morales at a reasonable price. If the time is being used to explore those option then I am OK with that. If those options are off the table then I do not see what we are waiting for.

Archived