MLB.com article with Angelos quotes

eddie83

Thanks Soprano. You proved the point...the Orioles farm system has absolutely SUCKED for the better part of 30 years!

Now, I am not saying that Angelos couldn't have changed that around after he bought the team, but it does show that he wasn't the ONLY Orioles owner to completely KILL the Oriole Way! The Oriole Way was dead and buried long before Angelos took over. Angelos just dumped concrete over the grave!

What does this matter?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree it may not be what we want to hear but it is reallity and that is better than lying to us.

We could open up a whole new can of worms with this.

I don't think Dave Trembley or Andy MacPhail believe that we can only win once in a while. I don't think they are pouring everything they've got into this to win once a decade. If you and I walked up to AM on the street and said the same thing to him that Angelos said, he'd explain to you why we can win and why we are wrong.

I believe MacPhail is a better baseball mind than Angelos is. So I'm not going to believe we can't be competitive because Angelos says we can't, if AM says we can. I think Angelos is horrible for baseball and I think he's proven that he doesn't know what he's doing. I believed him every year he said things would get better right before our very eyes and they never have. I'm done believing him so I'm not going to do that now.

Given the economics of baseball, if PGA truly believes that we can only be competitive once in a while, then I hope for his sake he is trying to get baseball to change.

This isn't a semiconductor company. If he doesn't think he can win, then he shouldn't own a professional sports franchise.

Again, I don't believe his words here but I can't change how he thinks.

Thanks Soprano. You proved the point...the Orioles farm system has absolutely SUCKED for the better part of 30 years!

Now, I am not saying that Angelos couldn't have changed that around after he bought the team, but it does show that he wasn't the ONLY Orioles owner to completely KILL the Oriole Way! The Oriole Way was dead and buried long before Angelos took over. Angelos just dumped concrete over the grave!

Via Roland Hemond, Angelos also inherited Gregg Olson, Arthur Rhodes, Ben McDonald, Brad Pennington, Mike Oquist, Gregg Zaun, Mike Mussina, Damon Buford, Mark Smith, Alex Ochoa, Jimmy Haynes, Curtis Goodwin, Jeffrey Hammons, Scott Klingenbeck, Ryan Minor, Rocky Coppinger.

I have never said that what he said in this article is wrong.

My only point is PA has been saying this same stuff for years...Its always an excuse...There is never accountability.

So, you agree that what he said was correct, you just think he shouldn't say anything that's true now because in the past he made bad decisions for years.

You think that, when the press wants him to comment about the state of the club he owns, he should say, "Well, I own the team but, since I did a lousy job before I wised up, I should not and will not say anything about anything to the press until the team is good again." Is that what you think? Or do you just want to rant?

So, you agree that what he said was correct, you just think he shouldn't say anything that's true now because in the past he made bad decisions for years.

You think that, when the press wants him to comment about the state of the club he owns, he should say, "Well, I own the team but, since I did a lousy job before I wised up, I should not and will not say anything about anything to the press until the team is good again." Is that what you think? Or do you just want to rant?

I think he should say that I have screwed up for years...and that now I am trying to get this team back to where we need to be...but that it is harder due to the fact of our division.

He wants people to feel sorry for him...He has never taken the accountability he needs to take.

When i worked down there, it was always someone else's fault...Its never the fault of the Orioles...Its MLB..Its DC getting a team, etc....

I think he should say that I have screwed up for years...and that now I am trying to get this team back to where we need to be...but that it is harder due to the fact of our division.

He wants people to feel sorry for him...He has never taken the accountability he needs to take.

When i worked down there, it was always someone else's fault...Its never the fault of the Orioles...Its MLB..Its DC getting a team, etc....

While I don't believe the man, you are right. He hasn't held himself accountable for the organizations blunders.

If you read his bio in the 2009 Orioles Yearbook, you would think he's the best thing that ever happened to the Baltimore Orioles.

Even Dan Snyder put his face out there recently to apologize to fans.

I'm over all of the agnst towards him though. He's a terrible owner, but I'll be an Orioles fan longer than he will be an owner.

I do not want to single anyone out but I have to ask.

Are you guys for real?

Do you really believe the stuff that you type?

It is just constant complaining all of the time!!!!

Lighten up enjoy the Orioles.

I have been a fan of this team all of my 50 years thru all sorts of owners. Believe me there are owners of teams that are a lot worse than the one we have.

If I were Angelos and I read some of this silly junk on here I would start doing stuff just to give em something to talk about.

At least he has not moved the team to Indianapolis.

Pete Angelos is not going to take personal responsibility for the past. I'm not sure what that will accomplish anyway. His reputation in baseball can only be salvaged if we get a winning team. I would like to know when, if ever, MASN is going to help level the playing field as he promised. When are we REALLY going to be right on the heels.....or in the faces of NY and Boston?

Pete Angelos is not going to take personal responsibility for the past. I'm not sure what that will accomplish anyway. His reputation in baseball can only be salvaged if we get a winning team. I would like to know when, if ever, MASN is going to help level the playing field as he promised. When are we REALLY going to be right on the heels.....or in the faces of NY and Boston?

I have heard some rumblings that MASN is more lucrative, right now, than the Orioles let on.

How true is that? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

I have heard some rumblings that MASN is more lucrative, right now, than the Orioles let on.

How true is that? I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

I think the same can be said for all the RSNs. As to MASN, I've read conflicting reports of who owns it, Angelos or the Orioles.

I keep hearing this over and over again. Who?

There is no big time FA that will be available to the Orioles.

Anybody who thinks differently is just setting themselves up for disappointment IMO.

Wow!....your singular negativity is beyond belief. Come out of that myopic cave every now and then, step into the sunlight, and smell the roses.

It doesn't HAVE to be an FA signing. They also have these things called "trades" that can bring in "super star" players. And by the end of this year, MacPhail will have a much better idea of who might be expendable for such a move.

When he sells the team to an owner that realizes winning will create more profits than just having a perennial losing team with a low payroll.

Question:

If the O's do start winning/competing, do you see the fans coming back to CY like they did in the past?

Wow!....your singular negativity is beyond belief. Come out of that myopic cave every now and then, step into the sunlight, and smell the roses.

It doesn't HAVE to be an FA signing. They also have these things called "trades" that can bring in "super star" players. And by the end of this year, MacPhail will have a much better idea of who might be expendable for such a move.

You must be the only one who missed the hundreds of posts he wrote about trading for Gonzalez. :D

Archived