Field/FX

BaltimoreTerp

San Fransico already has a better one than that installed. I think they have 15 cameras.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/4350707.html?nav=RSS20&src=syn&dom=yah_buzz&mag=pop

They are not going to share information at all but keep it a trade secret.

BTW the article is about FieldF/x not some Giant system.

2 camera is more than enough. Plus the company that came up with Fieldf/x will most likely partner with MLB and put them in every stadium. Like Pitchf/x they will put the data out to the public.

I guess my concern is the number of cameras. Is four really enough?

It said "up to four cameras mounted on the light towers along each foul line", which I read as meaning "as many as eight". (That's kinda like saying "Big Sale: up to 70% off or more!" ;-)

Assuming adequate field-of-view, all you need is three, assuming they can see everything and never fail. With three data points, you can triangulate the location of everything at each moment. But they the three of them need to be in the right place for that to work. They're putting them on the light towers, which seems like a curious place. I guess nobody will complain about them there. If you wanted to do it with 3, you'd need at least one of them someplace else. Seems to me they still want one someplace else, like CF or behind the plate.

It said "up to four cameras mounted on the light towers along each foul line", which I read as meaning "as many as eight". (That's kinda like saying "Big Sale: up to 70% off or more!" ;-)

Assuming adequate field-of-view, all you need is three, assuming they can see everything and never fail. Having more than that may or may not make the math easier, not sure, but given available computation power, that shouldn't matter much anyway. They're putting them on the light towers, which seems like a curious place. I guess nobody will complain about them there. If you wanted to do it with 3, you'd need at least one of them someplace else. Seems to me they still want one someplace else, like CF or behind the plate.

I think one at Field level (down 3b line or 1b line or both) and one in the light towers behind home plate would be enough.

I think one at Field level (down 3b line or 1b line or both) and one in the light towers behind home plate would be enough.

Nope, if you wanna get it right, you need 3. Just 2 won't tell you how to place everything properly in 3D space.

Nope, if you wanna get it right, you need 3. Just 2 won't tell you how to place everything properly in 3D space.

What? A field level camera would track the z axis (depth). Overhead camera tracks the x and y.

Upon reflection, that's wrong. If they're time synched you can do it with 2...

Did you reflect by reading my post? Of course the camera's are time synched. That is how they are going to get a lot of the data.

Archived