I had a dream last night...

I'd be stoked for that. If he has an awesome year and we can put him in our system our pitching depth just becomes that much better. It'd be sick to see how much depth we'd have with Ranaudo in the mix.

Plus, this guy should be ready to make an impact on the big club in short order. He could be up here by the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012.

Plus, this guy should be ready to make an impact on the big club in short order. He could be up here by the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012.

Exactly...he could follow a path very similar to Matusz.

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Bergesen

Ranaudo

And we're not even talking about Britton, Hobgood or anyone else that really steps up in the next few years.

*falls out of chair*

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Bergesen

Ranaudo

And we're not even talking about Britton, Hobgood or anyone else that really steps up in the next few years.

*falls out of chair*

:002_sdrool:

That's really all that needs to be said.

Yeah, we're meant to draft Ranaudo. :D

Louisiana State announced Wednesday night that junior righthander Anthony Ranaudo, the nation's top pitching prospect for the 2010 draft, will miss Friday’s scheduled start against William & Mary due to discomfort in his throwing elbow.

LSU coach Paul Mainieri said Ranaudo’s ailment is classified as a stress reaction that does not involve ligament damage, and it does not appear to be a long-term condition.

“He may just miss this start, or it may be another two or three weeks,“ Mainieri said in a release. “We don’t think it’s a serious problem, but we don’t want to put Anthony on the mound until he feels 100 percent. He is one of the top pitchers in the country, and I’m certainly not going to do anything to jeopardize his career.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1992

Jameson Taillon (or AJ Cole), come on down!

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Bergesen

Ranaudo

*falls out of chair*

Britton is close enough now that he has to be taken into account. We'll see what Erbe shows this year, but he could be right on the cusp. Spoone has fallen off the radar for almost two years, but if he comes all the way back, he's definitely in the conversation. Then there's Patton, and Hernandez. By June we should have a clearer picture of all these guys.

Contrary to the mantra that we all know so well, it is possible to have too much pitching. When you've got holes in the everyday lineup, and multiple ML-ready starters down in AAA with no clear path to the big club, that is too much--especially when you're plugging an potential TOR-level No. 1 pick into a spot that even good teams often fill with a 5.00 ERA guy.

A AAA rotation stocked with studs might look good in the farm system rankings, but it doesn't win anything in the AL.

Two or three massive flameouts or catastrophic injuries could change that picture, but barring that between now and the draft, a near-ready college arm might not be an efficient use of the most valuable pick the O's are likely to have for a long time. I know, I know: don't draft for need. But there might be a time when you draft with an eye toward efficiency.

Britton is close enough now that he has to be taken into account. We'll see what Erbe shows this year, but he could be right on the cusp. Spoone has fallen off the radar for almost two years, but if he comes all the way back, he's definitely in the conversation. Then there's Patton, and Hernandez. By June we should have a clearer picture of all these guys.

Contrary to the mantra that we all know so well, it is possible to have too much pitching. When you've got holes in the everyday lineup, and multiple ML-ready starters down in AAA with no clear path to the big club, that is too much--especially when you're plugging an potential TOR-level No. 1 pick into a spot that even good teams often fill with a 5.00 ERA guy.

A AAA rotation stocked with studs might look good in the farm system rankings, but it doesn't win anything in the AL.

Two or three massive flameouts or catastrophic injuries could change that picture, but barring that between now and the draft, a near-ready college arm might not be an efficient use of the most valuable pick the O's are likely to have for a long time. I know, I know: don't draft for need. But there might be a time when you draft with an eye toward efficiency.

Having chips like Britton, Erbe and Arrieta to trade for a stud 1st baseman are very valuable. Britton is a top 50 prospect and a key ingrediant to any discussion for a Prince Fielder or AGon trade. If you have Tillman and Matusz as solid futures in the rotation and you have the other supporting pieces by drafting Ranaudo, you can mortgage the future and get the piece that you need.

Archived