Collapse Of The Year: What If The Mets Dont Make The Playoffs

Crazysilver03

A 5 game series is infinitely better than a 1 game series. There are ideals and then there is reality. At least a long, grueling season decides who gets to play in the short series. A 1 game playoff vitiates even this.

I'm not sure the one-game playoff was originally conceived as a playoff like the LCS or the LDS. I think it was always thought of as a 163rd (or in the old days 155th) regular season game - hence why it counts in the regular season stats and standings. If you look at it that way it's just an extension of the long, grueling regular season.

Do you believe it is practical to have no LDS and no LCS with a 30 team league? That is resting too much on the outcome of a long, grueling season.

Practical, yes. Will it be implemented in today's reality? Not a chance. With the money the playoffs bring in there's a far better chance we'll see more rounds of playoffs added than have any subtracted. I have to believe that MLB playoffs in 2030 will look more like the NHL of 2007 than the MLB of the 1950s.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Mets somehow Forrest Gump their way into the postseason, I can't see them going very far. They've gotta be stressed and tired after all this. All of baseball is watching this.

Forrest Gump their way in? Run cross country numerous times? Crash a shrimp boat in to a pier after jumping overboard with nobody on the boat to steer? Taking 40 years to boink Jenny even though she appeared to be the biggest slut in America in the 60s and 70s?

Oh, you mean luck in to success...:D

Why's that? What's the difference between winning a 16-team league and winning an 8-team league?

What's the difference? 8 more teams whose seasons are over by the all star break if one team runs away with the pennant. 8 more cities where fans are deserting their team by the droves in August and September. Several million fewer tickets sold and more slumping ad revenue, making it more difficult for the have nots to compete with the haves.

Between the smaller divisions and the wild card, the majority of teams are often still in the race when September rolls around. With a single 16-team league, half of those teams could hang up their spikes by the end of July.

I think that a 154- or 162-game balanced schedule is a better way to crown a league champion than a few short series.

I don't dispute that, but the advantages of the divisions and playoffs far outweigh that disadvantage.

For semi-interested outside observers, such as Oriole fans, many of us think that an 83-win team slaying the dragons in the playoffs just means that a mediocre team gets to be crowned champion, and that's kind of a letdown.

Fans of teams that are only competing to be the worst team in baseball are going to be pretty bummed out anyhow. Seeing an 83-win team become the "World Champion" should be pretty far down your list of what went wrong the last two seasons.

More baseball fans are intrigued by the Cinderella stories than are bummed out because "the best team didn't win". Usually, it's only the fans of the "best team" which lost that grouse about how unfair it was. I went through that in 1985 and 1987; it was no fun, but I got over it.

Watching the Mets, Will Randolph's nauseating arrogance, Pedro's fine curls, and the curse of John Maine blow this will be tremendous. It's too bad it will be accompanied by joy in Philly. If it could only be any other team overtaking them, I could truly rejoice.

Does anyone know why NL end of season ties are decided by a one game playoff, but AL ties are decided by the teams' season series? Is this one of the vestiges of the AL and NL being distinct entities?

I think there's only a one-game playoff if one of the teams will make the playoffs and the other one wouldn't. In the case of the Yanks and Sox, both teams would make the playoffs anyway, so the division winner is just decided by head-to-head record.

I think there's only a one-game playoff if one of the teams will make the playoffs and the other one wouldn't. In the case of the Yanks and Sox, both teams would make the playoffs anyway, so the division winner is just decided by head-to-head record.

This happened in 2001, when the Cardinals and Astros finished tied with the best record in the NL with 93 wins each. The Astros had won the season series with the Cards, so the Cards went to the playoffs with the disadvantage of being the wild card. Cards fans still argue over whether the Astros were the division champion or the Cards were "co-champions" that year. My vote is that the Astros were the division champ.

So what happens if the Phillies, Rockies and Mets all win and the Padres lose tomorrow?!

4 teams with the same freaking record. Will they be playing tie-breakers all week?!

Will those games count towards official fantasy stats (my chief concern hehe)?

ESPN's Jayson Stark outlined all the playoff scenarios in a recent article. It'll make your head spin.

Archived