Surprised? Roch say it's Hernandez and Tatum

ConnO'sFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously they see something in Tatum they like more than what they see in Moeller. Whether it is a slightly better bat, better defense or whatever. They obviously aren't just picking names out of a hat.

They also may see Tatum as a younger player with more of a future, even as a backup, than Moeller. That would certainly be a consideration for MacPhail in making this roster decision. And, I'm sure that Kranitz had input, as well.

But the passion over the 25th man on the roster is what makes the Hangout great!:)

Moehler had a 5.68 CERA last year. Not a very insightful stat, I know, but from what some of you have said, I would expect it to be lower. Tatum is supposed to be really good at defense.

Hernandez deserved to make this team. They gave him some things to work on, and he did them. And I think it sends a bad message to say "results don't matter". You don't put someone on the team because of their age or how they project. Let him earn his way back onto the team.

For a year now, we have heard how the young pitchers enjoy pitching to Moeller...Moeller knows these guys....and now you replace him? Horrible decision making there.

I would love to hear the justification for this.

I am surprised by the decision but you have a completely inadequate basis to say it's a horrible decision. Have you been in Florida? Do you have any idea what Tatum brings to the table? I didn't think so.

Here's what I know: Tatum is younger, Tatum has a much better arm, and Tatum is on the 40-man roster. Moeller is very good at working with young pitchers, but maybe that is best put to use in Norfolk, where he'll play 65-70% of the time and work with Arrieta, Erbe, Patton and maybe Tillman, rather than in Baltimore where he'd only play maybe 25% of the time.

If this turns out to be a mistake, they always can call Moeller up and dump Tatum. But if they tried to take Tatum off the roster right now, they might lose him to a waiver claim and then have no option if Moeller plays poorly.

Again, I'm surprised by the decision, but there could be a lot of reasons (including the ones I mentioned) to keep Tatum.

As some people have said on here,the Orioles wanted Tillman to start in Triple A this year. They will probably call him up by June so it's no biggie. I have heard the Orioles might still get another catcher from another organization when cut times happen. Moeller was having trouble throwing out runners and that is why Tatum is here for the time being.

I am surprised by the decision but you have a completely inadequate basis to say it's a horrible decision. Have you been in Florida? Do you have any idea what Tatum brings to the table? I didn't think so.

Here's what I know: Tatum is younger, Tatum has a much better arm, and Tatum is on the 40-man roster. Moeller is very good at working with young pitchers, but maybe that is best put to use in Norfolk, where he'll play 65-70% of the time and work with Arrieta, Erbe, Patton and maybe Tillman, rather than in Baltimore where he'd only play maybe 25% of the time.

If this turns out to be a mistake, they always can call Moeller up and dump Tatum. But if they tried to take Tatum off the roster right now, they might lose him to a waiver claim and then have no option if Moeller plays poorly.

Again, I'm surprised by the decision, but there could be a lot of reasons (including the ones I mentioned) to keep Tatum.

You are assuming that Moeller accepts a minor league assignment with the O's. That may or may not happen.

This decision does not bother me. I am not sure that Tatum stays with to O's all year though. The O's could make a trade at some point.

I am fine with Tatum over Moeller. IMO, this decision is not a surprise. If Moeller works with our AAA pitchers, that would be very good for the organization overall.

I am less enamored with other decisions - two of them follow. First,DHernandez over Tillman - though if we are trying to maximize wins this year then I believe it is Guthrie who should be moved out of the starting rotation.

I think Miggy as cleanup is a poor though relatively inconsequential decision. Given the projected OPS among the likely starters, the decision is a head-scratcher to me.

I am fine with Tatum over Moeller. IMO, this decision is not a surprise. If Moeller works with our AAA pitchers, that would be very good for the organization overall.

This is what I think. If (maybe a big "if") Moeller wants to eventually be a coach here, wouldn't he be better leveraged playing full time in AAA and working with the young pitchers?

If he's in Baltimore, he won't really work with them too often with Wieters behind the plate 5x per week.

Archived