Surprised? Roch say it's Hernandez and Tatum

ConnO'sFan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Guthrie has been going downhill since Mazzone left...

He was the key to Guthrie's success...

I don't know if I can buy this. Once you've learned from one pitching coach, you can continue to employ his methods. He sat and watched film of his delivery with Mazzone for a long time, so I'm sure he can figure out what's wrong now if that was the case.

I just think that the league has figured him out ala Hideo Nomo. Once they got you, you're cooked. He's not fooling anyone anymore.

I don't know if I can buy this. Once you've learned from one pitching coach, you can continue to employ his methods. He sat and watched film of his delivery with Mazzone for a long time, so I'm sure he can figure out what's wrong now if that was the case.

One big difference - Mazzone has his pitchers throw twice between starts.

Maybe the Os want a backup C who can throw to 2B? Maybe they would rather have Moeller in the minors working with Tillman (wasn't Tillman the one who credited Chad the most for his development?)? Maybe we're making too big of a deal out of the backup C for the 74th season in a row?

Maybe you are exactly right. Maybe we do not know as much as the guys who make these decisions. Just maybe.:) I like Moeller and think he will be a big legue manager within 10 years but in a division that includes Carl Crawford, BJ Upton, Jacoby Ellsbury and teams that incorporate speed into the game like Rays, Yankees and even Sox a backup catcher who can throw is a benefit.

I think Guthrie has been going downhill since Mazzone left...

He was the key to Guthrie's success...

I think the economy has been going downhill since Mazzone left...

He was the key to it's success...

Same ridiculous, specious reasoning so I must be right too.

The Hernandez move is a good one for the short and long-term imo. Not sure about the Tatum move, but whatever, I'll go with their judgement on that. It's really not a big deal imo.

I agree, Hernandez has outpitched Tillman in camp and has earned the 5th spot. I think Tillman will benefit from some additional time in Triple A and realize that he will have to earn his spot in the rotation.

I like Moeller but if they think Tatum is a better fit, then so be it.

I preferred Moeller, but it's not that big a deal. Either one of them they would have kept, the other one would be lost (Chad is NOT going back to AAA, Tatum would NOT clear waivers). I'll keep the younger guy if I'm Andy.

I am fine with both of these moves, could go either way.

But, out of curiosity, why does it hurt Tillman to start out in AAA? In other words, are people suggesting that Tillman's chances of hitting his ceiling are lowered by starting out in AAA?

Because, if that's what's happening, then it would make sense to be irritated by this move. I may be ignorant, but I just don't see any other potential harm to Tillman from this move.

I guess the flip side would be what's the benefit to Tillman to starting out in AAA as opposed to the ML's?

The way I see it is that he gets to work on his cutter in AAA and his command without worrying if he wins or loses the game (a variable he'd have to worry about on the ML roster).

And yes, I know the whole, "but he doesn't have anything left to prove in AAA," and the "he'll get experience facing ML hitters" arguments. But, again, those arguments do not logically and automatically lead to the conclusions that Tillman will be better off, that the team would be better off, and that he'll get acclimated quicker. He could easily "figure it out" with only half a season up in the ML's this year and be ready to rock 'n roll come 2011.

Well that's why I'm advocating for Moeller, as he's shown he can hit pretty decently for being a backup catcher.

Chris Hoiles couldn't throw runners out either.

Throwing out runners is not the most important part of being a catcher. Working with the pitcher to keep runners off the basepaths is.

And you know for certain that Moeller is better at working the pitchers because....????

I agree the long term is a factor here. Personally I think Caleb Joseph will be the long term backup catcher, starting in a year or two. But we should have some other options.

I would hope Joseph will likely be traded if Wieters is blocking him and he's ready to fill a ML full time role.

A good catching prospect is too valuable to waste as a backup.

Archived