Melvin Mora Bunts for the win!

SilentJames

After reading through about half of this thread, I have to say it's sickening. Reading all the people hoping for a higher draft pick absolutely attack fans who are happy that their favorite team beat the Yankees last night is just disheartening.

Look, whether or not I jump for joy or cry myself to sleep over last night's win doesn't change the fact that they won. It doesn't change what they're going to do today or tomorrow. My actions as a fan have no bearing on this team. So please forgive me if I find it perfectly acceptable to celebrate a win, full knowing the draft repercussions.

We've had thread after thread with you guys (yeah I'm lumping you all together) talking about "meaningless games." Well, screw that. You just can't allow a fellow O's fan to find any kind of happiness while you sit there and wallow in your own misery, can you? It makes some of you sick to see other Orioles fans be happy after a win? Really? The words I have for you would get me banned so quickly from this board.

We're all Orioles fans here. I just can't believe you would chastise a fellow fan for being happy after a win. Don't you see how ass-backwards that sounds? We beat the freakin' Yankees. Came back in the 9th, held them off in the 10th when it looked like they were going to get something going, and Mora bunts for the win. And you're mad that some of us are happy?! Honestly, grow the hell up. The amount of blatant disrespect shown on both sides of the argument is disgusting. I'd request for the thread to be locked, but the same argument pops up in every other thread anyway.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because people are saying we have lost out on Alvarez, Smoak or Crow.

All i am saying is that we have no idea who we lost out on.

Trust me, i want the highest position we can get but i am just saying that worrying about a certain player right now may not matter later.

That's the damn truth, SG.

I said it before earlier this week, I'll say it again. People are acting like there isn't another college baseball season to be played. Alvarez could fall, someone could jump up.

Mora's bunt RBI single to win the game was very entertaining, much more fun than a walk-off HR.

The "experts" opining with near certainty about draft choices are delusional to the point of being presidentiable. Their rational and comforting construct of the baseball world differs dramatically from the real one. They just need our sympathy and help.

Because people are saying we have lost out on Alvarez, Smoak or Crow.

All i am saying is that we have no idea who we lost out on.

Trust me, i want the highest position we can get but i am just saying that worrying about a certain player right now may not matter later.

Good point SG. Just like it's a good thing we lost those 107 games in 88 so we could draft the highest rated pitcher ever in Ben McDonald. Ah, the memories of those world championships he led us to in the 90's. And not only that, how much good has it done Tampa Bay to draft in front of us every year of their existence?

Alvarez is about as 'near certainty' as you're going to find in terms of draft picks.

In terms of being labeled delusional, I suggest fans take a look at the O's international scouting situation.

I dare anyone to say it's even below average because it's non-existant.

In this day and age, that's truly pathetic!

Hence the need for high draft picks.

When the O's start doing things like the 29 other teams, then maybe they'll be competitive.

For me it's about the players...I think classy guys like Jeter, Rivera, Posada, and Torre make them far more appealing than jerks like Schilling and Beckett.

You know, I hear this all the time. One of the reasons that I hate the Yankees is that not only do they win, but they have gotten the media to force-feed us this image of "classiness" while doing it. Jeter, Rivera, and Posada are great players. Two HOFers and one awfully close to being one. But what does their talent have to do with making them classy? Why do you say the Yankees are so much classier as human beings than the Red Sox? You say Beckett and Schilling, I give you jerks like Roger Clemens and Brian Bruney. Why is Posada classier than Varitek, or Rivera classier than Papelbon? Tim Wakefield always seemed like a class act to me, doesn't that count for anything? Is this all because the Yanks' PA announcer sounds like an old English butler? I am honestly curious as to what you specifically find classy about them.

Good point SG. Just like it's a good thing we lost those 107 games in 88 so we could draft the highest rated pitcher ever in Ben McDonald. Ah, the memories of those world championships he led us to in the 90's. And not only that, how much good has it done Tampa Bay to draft in front of us every year of their existence?

It will have done Tampa Bay plenty of good before too long. Upton, Young, etc. are just coming into their own. Kazmir has proven to be ace calibre. Shields is an up-and-comer. Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann, etc will be on the way.

When that team gels, look out!

As for McDonald, he was a pitcher. I advocate NEVER drafting a pitcher with the #1 pick. Try looking at Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Joe Mauer, Griffey Jr. etc to see what a draft choice can do for a ballclub.

Alvarez is about as 'near certainty' as you're going to find in terms of draft picks.

In terms of being labeled delusional, I suggest fans take a look at the O's international scouting situation.

I dare anyone to say it's even below average because it's non-existant.

In this day and age, that's truly pathetic!

Hence the need for high draft picks.

When the O's start doing things like the 29 other teams, then maybe they'll be competitive.

As certain as Hammonds? Ben McDonald? The pitcher the Yankees drafted #1 overall, Brien Taylor, who never spent a day in the big leagues? From the mid 60's to the mid 80's the Orioles never had a decent draft position, but they did well because they drafted smart. I'll take the team with a lesser position that drafts smart over the team with the better position that drafts, um, future Devil Rays. Good thing those Cubs used to tank every September, otherwise they never would have been blessed with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. Should I go on to the 5 sandwich picks that the Orioles had a few years back that were going to lead us to the promised land on the backs of Larry Bigbie, Mike Paradis et al?

It will have done Tampa Bay plenty of good before too long. Upton, Young, etc. are just coming into their own. Kazmir has proven to be ace calibre. Shields is an up-and-comer. Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann, etc will be on the way.

When that team gels, look out!

As for McDonald, he was a pitcher. I advocate NEVER drafting a pitcher with the #1 pick. Try looking at Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Joe Mauer, Griffey Jr. etc to see what a draft choice can do for a ballclub.

That team will gel about the same time the Gulf of Mexico does.

The Rays have drafted ahead of us every year of their existence and have not been able to pass our pathetic excuse for a baseball team a single time. Not even in 2001, when we had to call up A ball guys to replace the injured double A guys who replaced the borderline major leaguers who were hurt too. Every year it would be a step up for them to be as poor as we are.Alleged "experts" have been telling us the Devil Rays were about to blow us away and get into contention with all those top picks since 2000. Do you have the slightest idea how difficult it is to finish behind us in our current condition EVERY SINGLE YEAR? And just how many WS rings do Chipper, A-Rod, Mauer and Junior Griffey have to show for their lofty draft position? I'll make it easier. How many WS appearances?

I know for a fact Chipper has a 95 WS ring, and A-Rod and Griffey made Seattle baseball worth watching probably for the first time ever. Mauer helped bring the Twins organization back from the dead and is only 7 months older than Markakis.

You're right. It had nothing to do with Santana (rule V pick), Morneau (third round), Hunter (late first round), Joe Nathan (sixth round by Giants), etc.

That team will gel about the same time the Gulf of Mexico does.

The Rays have drafted ahead of us every year of their existence and have not been able to pass our pathetic excuse for a baseball team a single time. Not even in 2001, when we had to call up A ball guys to replace the injured double A guys who replaced the borderline major leaguers who were hurt too. Every year it would be a step up for them to be as poor as we are.Alleged "experts" have been telling us the Devil Rays were about to blow us away and get into contention with all those top picks since 2000. Do you have the slightest idea how difficult it is to finish behind us in our current condition EVERY SINGLE YEAR? And just how many WS rings do Chipper, A-Rod, Mauer and Junior Griffey have to show for their lofty draft position? I'll make it easier. How many WS appearances?

Phil Rizzuto has eight rings.

You're right. It had nothing to do with Santana (rule V pick), Morneau (third round), Hunter (late first round), Joe Nathan (sixth round by Giants), etc.

And with the percentage of time Mauer has spent on the DL in his career so far, his value isn't all that either.

I know for a fact Chipper has a 95 WS ring, and A-Rod and Griffey made Seattle baseball worth watching probably for the first time ever. Mauer helped bring the Twins organization back from the dead and is only 7 months older than Markakis.

So there are 2 WS appearances with 1 ring in a combined, what 40 years of play? And so the Orioles are supposed to tank real games so they can get on this path?

Archived