Melvin Mora Bunts for the win!

SilentJames

All you positive pansies out there, tell me what good a win at this stage of the game is going to do. TELL ME!...Pointless Win, totally pointless win.

Integrity. Dignity. Self-respect. Professionalism. Pride.

Making every minute of your life count for the right reasons.

Feel free to use a dictionary. You don't seem to understand any of that otherwise.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like what I see right now, but we need to understand the caliber of career that Huff has had. The chance that Scott Moore has a career that meets or exceeds Aubrey Huff is probably fairly low. However, even if Moore tears his knee apart tomorrow and never plays again, it is quite clear that we have made a very good trade with the Cubs (sort of like Ponson for Moss, Ainsworth, and Hannaman but I hope the final result turns out better for us).

Moore is a better defender than Huff ever was, that's for sure.

I don't get the Yankee hatred either. Their players are far classier than the Red Sox guys. Jeter and A Rod both worship Cal Ripken also. I don't think it's Jeffrey Maier really, I just think it's easier to hate the team that's usually on top. Also, Steinbrenner, he's easy to hate.

Yankee hatred has been going on in Baltimore before Jeter, ARod, Cal, and Maier were born, and for a cornucopia of reasons.

For a guy whose sig talks about hating Duke before it was cool to hate Duke, that should be easy to understand.

Are there people on this board who actually believe the Orioles should tank games that have playoff implications? Or any games, for that matter?

Not only that, but they think they're smarter and more farsighted than anyone else, and that people who disagree with them are clueless.

My tune won't change regardless of what happens later. I enjoyed a fun game tonight. No more, no less. The draft will end up being what it will end up being. Trying to "time" the draft is like trying to time the lottery or stock market. It is a silly, pointless exercise. Alvarez could go 1st, 2nd, 5th, 10th, or in the third round (if he were to get injured or something). The top pick could become a hall of famer or get injured and never see a day in the majors.

By the way, you have completely missed the point of my post. No matter how you feel about our draft position and whether the team should try to lose or not, that wasn't point of this thread. It has been the point of many, many other threads over the past month. The point of this thread was for the people who wanted to celebrate tonight's victory as a standalone event. Nobody even mentioned it in the context of the bigger issue until people like you brought it into the thread. Your goal was to ruin the brief happiness that some people were feeling with your agenda. That is your right, but it is akin to walking up to a group of people who appear to be having fun while playing a game of risk and kicking the board across the floor because your girlfriend broke up with you. If you're not happy, nobody should be happy.

Have a nice evening

Actually i'm a very happy person, just perplexed as to how this team stink it up the entire season when it counts. And now after a long grueling, uninspired season, decides to play inspired baseball when teams are preparing for the post season. Spoiling the chance to draft high to maybe secure the future of the franchise. Now if you are one who take joy from beating the Yanks no matter the situation, then so be it. But after 10 str8 losing seasons, i choose to look at the larger picture and take no immediate pleasure beating the Yanks in a meaningless gm when i know we don't have the talent in the minors nor majors to compete at the highest level in the AL East. And i'm not even going to get into our track record during the off season; which further urges me to root for high draft picks.

I know the draft doesn't insure us anything, but it can provide some with hope where it has been lost.

I sincerely apologize to those who maybe label me as an kill joy and one who has hijacked otherwise a happy thread. But i stand by my comments.

I'm very proud of the guys for battling back and pulling off the win tonight. After beating up on the Yankees all season, it felt great to see them win tonight so they could at the very least tie the Yanks for the season series between the two teams. I wonder what would happen to this board if the O's win another game in this series this weekend, LOL ;)

what does it take for people to understand that with the MLB draft, regardless of pick order, there is no guarantee the player you are picking will be even set foot in the MLB, let alone be an all-star caliber player.

Anyone remember Jeffrey Hammonds? When we drafted him, people all but anointed him as the next great Oriole and look where he is now. Draft position is nice and all, but ultimately, all we can really hope for is whoever we draft realize their potential and just mature as a pitcher/hitter, enough to contribute and help out the O's. If they turn out to become the next Alex Rodriguez, great, if they turn into the next Beau Hale, there are plenty more players our there ready to get drafted.

Awesome my ###. Can you really get any enyoment from a meaningless win like this? My hat's off to you.

I'm with SJ, hell yes! Its fine if you don't get any enjoyment out of this win. I think its unbelievable that a so-called O's fan could actually feel this way though. And to redicule O's fans for finding enjoyment out of this win is mind-numbing.

We'll see where this team is five years from now. Last place, would be my guess.

If that's the case...it will have zero to do with winning what you call "meaningless" games.

It will have to do with poor decision making by our FO.

Throwing games and rooting for your guys to lose is poor decision making.

We weren't going to get Alvarez. Get over it. Let's sweep the Yanks.

I will say this, though: Where you pick in the baseball draft gives very little indication as to whether the guy will actually ever make the bigs. These guys fail to make it to the Show all the time, because there's such a jump in difficulty as you progress from level to level. Alvarez is being called the next A-Rod, but to look at football, wasn't Ryan Leaf supposed to be the next Joe Montana? I'd rather see us meet a need anyway than pick the guy who is supposed to be the "next sure thing." We've all heard that too many times.

Archived