Angels and Orioles have discussed Tejada

markpolis

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Shields, he is a very good reliever, but I would try to expand the deal with Javy (or someone else) to upgrade to Saunders or Morales in lieu of Shields.

As I posted earlier, I'd love to see RLo and Saunders added to the deal.

I don't think tejada and mora would be packaged together, but if they were you would have to include Orlando cabrera comming back along with the other pieces. They would have no use for him anymore.

Trading Shields would leave too big of a hole in their bullpen so I don't see him in any deal. The Orioles would probably have to take Saunders or another prospect. I love Kendrick's bat but 2nd base is one of the few spots they have covered so he doesn't make sense unless they would entertain trading Roberts. Or maybe they could flip Kendrick for something else (probably a young SS to replace Tejada). From reading his scouting report from Baseball America, it doesn't sound like Kendrick could make the move to the outfield and he's only 5'10" so 1st doesn't seem like an option. Santana would be a great pick-up.

I could see the request for Shields as a kind of stalking horse in the negotiating process. I wonder how the Angels value Shields v. Aybar; I would be happy to "reduce" our request from Shields to Aybar, and "increase" our offer with Conine, who they were reportedly interested in earlier, to close the deal.

From reading his scouting report from Baseball America, it doesn't sound like Kendrick could make the move to the outfield and he's only 5'10" so 1st doesn't seem like an option.

I read the same report and respectfully disagree with your assessment. What makes you think he can't make the move to the outfield?

The report states "his instincts are exceptional in all phases of the game, which makes him an average baserunner and should allow him to develop into a competent defender." It also states "his range, arm and defensive footwork are average at best."

I don't think he'd have much difficulty at all moving to LF. Let's not make any mistakes here, Kendrick's bat, not his defense, are what make him a top prospect. He will be average defensively at any position, albeit 2B, 3B or LF. His bat is what sets him apart and makes him special.

If the O's can get this deal from the Angels, they have to do it. I hate losing Miguel, but dammit - he's not the same ballplayer that came here. Instead, he's become a moper and complainer instead of a patient ballplayer. I know he's not getting any younger, but he went through this with the A's... why not the O's?

I think if i were the GM I would saythe only way we don't get wood is if the Angels include Weaver or Santana. They can keep Shield as far as I see it. So i would say that the choice would be up to them hendrick, Wood and one of thier catchers or henrick, Saunders and santana.

The Angel's brass might be in the process of discovering that trading for the big bat they want comes with a price tag they may be unwilling to pay. If this is the case, someone like Javy, Conine, or Millar might become more attractive to them. But I'm sure every other ML team has similiar players they would like to dump. So unless the pot is sweetened somehow, the return would likely be mid-level prospects at best.

Do you think he is ready to play full time in the majors?

Offensively, absolutely. Defensively it depends on where he was playing. If he was going to play LF he could probably use a few weeks in the minors getting used to the position.

Let's remember this is a trade for the future so I don't really think it matters if he is ready to play in the majors at this time.

Well, the more I hear about the Angels and Orioles "discussing" this the more excited I get.

I think it will happen. The Orioles love Shields, but obviously he ain't moving.

I think a Santana, Kotchman, Aybar deal would work. We may even be able to get one more player out of them in this deal. Perhaps it will be Conine, Tejada for Santana, Kotchman, Aybar, and McPherson. I would love that deal.

If Angelos actually appoved of trading away all our veterans, would it be better if we paid parts of the salary of Mora/Tejada etc in order to garner the most return? If we had a bunch of rookies, the payroll would be very low. This team can afford a 70 Million payroll so we could therefore afford to pay the future salaries of Mora/Miggy etc

I don't know too much about Angelos, but wouldn't this be a situation where he could trade everyone and have a cheap payroll and therefore keep loads of money that should be on the O's. Would we be able to trust the organisation to invest in players when the time comes? Or am I being waaay to cynical?

Archived