Angels and Orioles have discussed Tejada

markpolis

Why not put Kendrick at ss? I would much rather put him there (given his size and the type of player he is) instead of Fahey. I know a lot of people like Fahey but he should get plenty of ab's coming off the bench and getting the spot starts in the IF and OF.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not put Kendrick at ss? I would much rather put him there (given his size and the type of player he is) instead of Fahey. I know a lot of people like Fahey but he should get plenty of ab's coming off the bench and getting the spot starts in the IF and OF.

I believe Kendrick's range is very limited. We would probably be better off moving Roberts to SS and putting Kendrick at 2B. Although I don't think BRob has the arm strength to move to SS.

I'm really curious as to how this conversation went. The Angels call about Tejada, and it appears that we asked for Santana, Kendrick and Shields based on this article. So the Angels declined? The fact that it says "explored the possibility" makes me think they inquired, didn't like the asking price, and have since moved on. I also find it interesting that they didn't like the asking price for soriano because he becomes a free agent after this season. That's the case with all the big trading chips nearing the deadline which should make tejada that much more valuable. I'm not a huge fan of trading tejada, but if you can plug several major holes for the next few years then I think you have to consider it.

That trade would be very nice IMO, of course we aren't going to get it. That's what the Orioles ASKED for. It's not what they would get. The Angels aren't going to trade Santana. JMO. There are rumors of Abreu or Soriano to the angels and they can get either player for cheaper than Tejada.

Santana, Kendrick, & whoever would be a nice return.

I agree we probably won't get it done. The article talks about Soriano:

"In the case of Soriano, who could file for free agency this fall, the Angels consider the current asking price too high and would not surrender premium talent without signing him to a contract extension. To this point, the Nationals are not believed to be willing to allow another team to negotiate an extension in advance of a trade."

Of course that could all change if the Angels meet Bowden's asking price. BTW, the article does not mention Abreu. Probably just an oversight by the writer.

Roberts doesn't have the range or arm for SS. If we got Kendrick, I'd assume that Kendrick would be tried in LF or 3B or maybe even 1B.

I think he has the range, but not the arm. Hey, Eckstein was an All-Star this year and BRob probably has a better arm than him. Don't worry, I'm not advocating the move of BRob to SS. ;)

Do you know anything about Kendrick's defensive ability at 2B or SS?

Not much known defenseively, only that they had previously worked him at 1st and 3rd to improve his versatility. I watch the Angels almost every day so I will be watching tonight to watch Santana. Hopefully Kendrick starts and so we can get a good look at him.

His FRAA for the last couple seasons, all at 2B:

2003 - 1

2004 - 8

2005 (A+) - 4

2005 (AA) - 3

I am just glad the Orioles didn't ask for Figgins.

If the Angels do this deal, you have to take it.

I just don't think we can do this deal...

We don't upgrade at all on O, we actually get worse.

Unless we plan on being very agressive in FA and adding more O, this deal does not help us.

I've argued all along that including Mora makes sense for both teams. That allows them to move Figgins to CF and really improves the offense. And I can't imagine Mora would reject a trade if the Orioles are dismantling the team and he gets a chance to play for a contender. Mora, Tejada and $$ for Santana, Aybar, Kotchman, and Rivera would be a pretty good deal for both teams. I'd love to get Kendrick, but my impression is that he's untouchable -- perhaps even more so than Wood.

I just don't think we can do this deal...

We don't upgrade at all on O, we actually get worse.

Unless we plan on being very agressive in FA and adding more O, this deal does not help us.

Kendrick is actually rated higher than Wood(he has a 1000 OPS this year and already has over 40 XBH).

As i said, my guess is the Orioles like Shealy more than Kotchman or Morales.

Maybe they feel they will get Shealy in a seperate deal.

Shields and Santana would be great for us.

The question is, where does Kendrick play..LF sounds right to me.

I'd pass on this deal. If we're trading Tejada, either Wood or Aybar have to be in the deal. Santana, Wood/Aybar, Kotchman. Kendrick is good, but can he handle left field? If not, we have nowhere to put him. I have no interest in Shields. We need position players badly, more so than relievers, IMO.

Kendrick is actually rated higher than Wood(he has a 1000 OPS this year and already has over 40 XBH).

As i said, my guess is the Orioles like Shealy more than Kotchman or Morales.

Maybe they feel they will get Shealy in a seperate deal.

Shields and Santana would be great for us.

The question is, where does Kendrick play..LF sounds right to me.

I think you highlighted the part that is contingent on my last sentence, which it looks like you agree with.

If they feel they can get Shealy, I like this deal.

If they don't add any more pieces and this is the only trade we make or acquisition, I am opposed.

IF the rumor is true- that the Orioles asked for Santana/Kendrick/Shields, then I am thrilled because that means F&D have their heads screwed on right.

That is a fair offer. Hopefully they have reasonable expectations for what Rlo, Hawkins, etc....will bring back in a deal, too.

I am surprised the Angels wouldn't jump at this offer NOW, based on the way Weaver is pitching, Colon is healthy, etc.....even Saunders looks ready to step in.

LAA can't expect to get a Tejada (w/ a few years left on a reasonable contract) without giving up something.

With this deal, LAA would still have Morales, Kotchman, Aybar, Wood, Saunders, McPherson, Mathis, etc.......

I like Shields, he is a very good reliever, but I would try to expand the deal with Javy (or someone else) to upgrade to Saunders or Morales in lieu of Shields.

I'd love to get Kendrick, but my impression is that he's untouchable -- perhaps even more so than Wood.

Again, from today's article:

"The Angels also have inquired about Alfonso Soriano of Washington, Vernon Wells of Toronto, Andruw Jones of Atlanta and Torii Hunter of Minnesota. They are believed to be willing to discuss any player besides Vladimir Guerrero."

Stoneman knows he needs an impact bat and he seems a bit more willing to trade top prospects for the right deal.

IF the rumor is true- that the Orioles asked for Santana/Kendrick/Shields, then I am thrilled because that means F&D have their heads screwed on right.

That is a fair offer.

I am surprised the Angels wouldn't jump at this offer NOW, based on the way Weaver is pitching, Colon is healthy, etc.....even Saunders looks ready to step in.

LAA can't expect to get a Tejada (w/ a few years left on a reasonable contract) without giving up something.

With this deal, LAA would still have Morales, Kotchman, Aybar, Wood, Saunders, McPherson, Mathis, etc.......

I like Shields, he is a very good reliever, but I would try to expand the deal with Javy (or someone else) to upgrade to Saunders or Morales in lieu of Shields.

I would hope that if we expanded the deal to Javy, that we could get back a Saunders without losing Shields.

I think thats a fair deal. Javy could really help thier O for the playoff run and they would have no ties to him after this year. Seems like the right situation that we could unload Javy.

Then add the Mets, we give them Rlo for maybe a Nady type player, and we are getting younger and better.

Archived