Angels and Orioles have discussed Tejada

markpolis

I am Mister Don't Trade Miguel Tejada.

But if you can get Howie Kendrick and Ervin Santana, then it is a promising start.

The Angels can (and should) keep Steve Shields. If Tejada goes, so goes the idea of competing next year, so a bullpen guy isn't needed.

See how much they want Tejada. Stand firm on Kendrick, Santana, and Adenhart.

Roberts to short. Kendrick to 2b.

Well perhaps the O's asked for (Scot) Shields so that the Angels would say, "No, we want to keep Shields for a playoff run, but how about Aybar instead?"

Tricky tricky! :D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aybar + Kotchman would be a good addition to Santana. But I could live without either of them if it meant we got Brandon Wood to go along with Santana.

As long as Wood & Santana are coming here, i don't really care who else is part of the package, if anyone. Wood is probably the best young power hitter in the minor leagues. If we're moving Tejada, we better be getting back someone with legit power.

Be nice to make this a bigger deal to get Aybar added...We need a real SS, not Fahey, if we trade Miggy.

I would tell them, if they trade Shields, that they can have Hawkins...They can have Javy..They can have Conine or Millar.

So, I would trade Tejada, Javy, Conine and Hawkins for Aybar, Shields, Santana and Kendrick....Just get Aybar...Then, go get Shealy.

Be nice to make this a bigger deal to get Aybar added...We need a real SS, not Fahey, if we trade Miggy.

I would tell them, if they trade Shields, that they can have Hawkins...They can have Javy..They can have Conine or Millar.

So, I would trade Tejada, Javy, Conine and Hawkins for Aybar, Shields, Santana and Kendrick....Just get Aybar...Then, go get Shealy.

We would have to eat a ton of salary to get that done though, and I doubt that PA goes for it. It would be nice, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

There are so many possible combinations that could help us now and in the future when it comes to trading with the Angels. You have to think that, if both sides want this to get done, they can come up with something that's fair to both sides. If they don't want to part with Santana or Kendrick, we can ask for a package starting with Wood. Maybe continue the discussion with Saunders, Adenhart, Kotchman and Rivera. I think a decent package could be put together there.

I'll get ROASTED for this, but I'm not sure I'd be able to turn down a Tejada for Santana deal straight up. And I say this not to knock Tejada...

I'm totally sold on Santana. His numbers and year have gone eerily similar to Bedard's; both with fantastic splits, but a few bad 5+ run outings (4 each, skewing some stats). Plus, he's 23 with a playoff resume.

I, honestly, believe that we could have the best 1-2 punch in the AL East by this time next year. AND, I think we'd win more games right now if we swapped him for Tejada.

I'll get ROASTED for this, but I'm not sure I'd be able to turn down a Tejada for Santana deal straight up. And I say this not to knock Tejada...

I'm totally sold on Santana. His numbers and year have gone eerily similar to Bedard's; both with fantastic splits, but a few bad 5+ run outings (4 each, skewing some stats). Plus, he's 23 with a playoff resume.

I, honestly, believe that we could have the best 1-2 punch in the AL East by this time next year. AND, I think we'd win more games right now if we swapped him for Tejada.

I'm not gonna roast you, but we do need to get more than Santana. And...I wouldn't make a deal unless we were getting Santana. Give me Santana, Wood, and Saunders. I may even see if we could get Kotchman for Benson.

Just to temper the enthusiasm here. The Angels' beat writer for the LA times was just on Baseball tonight talking about the hitters the Angels targetted.

Regarding Tejada, first he said the angels "tried desperately" to get him this summer. Then again they tried during the past couple of weeks "but it just didn't work out."

Just to temper the enthusiasm here. The Angels' beat writer for the LA times was just on Baseball tonight talking about the hitters the Angels targetted.

Regarding Tejada, first he said the angels "tried desperately" to get him this summer. Then again they tried during the past couple of weeks "but it just didn't work out."

As the deadline gets closer, teams get more desperate and we lose more, thus making it easier and easier for us to realize that Tejada needs to be dealt.

The fact that they are having dialogue is a good sign IMO.

- Angels in desperate need of bat

- Tried to get Tejada a few weeks back, nothing happened. Moved on to Soriano but the asking price was "astronomical," and talks have cooled. Looking at Carlos Lee, Bobby Abreu, Tori Hunter.

- Stoneman is difficult to work with. He really doesn't want to trade any of the propects. And wants to get an IMPACT bat, not just someone who is OK.

It sounded very much like Stoneman is a bit under the gun to pull the trigger. The writer understood Stoneman's objection to trading the youth, but also mentioned that Stoneman needs to evaluate who he can afford to part with and put a package together.

IMO, Given Stoneman's reluctance and high standards and the current market, Tejada is the only bat that really would be worth moving on. Lee and Soriano are about to get paid, so will not only cost a big prospect but also a big contract. Hunter is not the answer. Abreu is solid, but not in Tejada's class. Plus, they'd need to sign off on his extension.

I still think the trade won't happen. But, over the last few days, I'd say I'm only about 60% convinced.

- Angels in desperate need of bat

- Tried to get Tejada a few weeks back, nothing happened. Moved on to Soriano but the asking price was "astronomical," and talks have cooled. Looking at Carlos Lee, Bobby Abreu, Tori Hunter.

- Stoneman is difficult to work with. He really doesn't want to trade any of the propects. And wants to get an IMPACT bat, not just someone who is OK.

It sounded very much like Stoneman is a bit under the gun to pull the trigger. The writer understood Stoneman's objection to trading the youth, but also mentioned that Stoneman needs to evaluate who he can afford to part with and put a package together.

IMO, Given Stoneman's reluctance and high standards and the current market, Tejada is the only bat that really would be worth moving on. Lee and Soriano are about to get paid, so will not only cost a big prospect but also a big contract. Hunter is not the answer. Abreu is solid, but not in Tejada's class. Plus, they'd need to sign off on his extension.

I still think the trade won't happen. But, over the last few days, I'd say I'm only about 60% convinced.

I understand Stoneman's reluctance to give up young talent, but it could also be posturing. If they are in that desperate of a need, they will find a way to get it done.

I'm sure hoping that our guys don't give in and take some package like we talked about yesterday....like Garrett Anderson, Figgins, and Escobar....or something like that.

I think Tejada and Benson for Wood, Santana, Saunders, and Kotchman would be a nice deal for both teams. They'd get another solid starter, who's signed relatively inexpensively for next year and the best bat available right now.

Some good points. However when talking about position change, Abreu only needs to shift to LF. Is that any more of a problem than Tejada or Orlando Cabrera switching to 3B? I think Tejada is a better hitter but there are plenty of stat guys who insist that OBP is more important than SLG, and Abreu kills Tejada in that department. And he's not that far behind in slugging.

You know, Buster Olney brought this up today. He said that the baseball world is generally pretty split over Abreu. He said that "stats guys" think Abreu is one of the best in the game, but more traditionalist don't think he tries his hardest and isn't a true bat that can carry a lineup.

Here's hoping the Angels just plain don't want Abreu for the next 2.5 seasons.

edit: One other note, remember the Angels were on the receiving end of those MVP-type seasons. They may be a little bias.

Archived