The next Carlos Pena?

Sports Guy

If you get him, do you slot him as a 3B or a 1B? Is he better defensively than Bell at 3B? Does he have more upside than Rhyne Hughes? Gordon doesn't have much minor league experience to hang your hat on, and he has been below-average offensively in the bigs for either 3B or 1B. Hughes has several minor league seasons of .800+, and major power numbers.

I think I'd save a decent trade chip (Hernandez) for something that is a little more certain, someone more proven in the bigs. A lot of these projects don't work out. Just because Gordon was drafted high doesn't mean he's going to be good.

I try not to cherry-pick stats, but in Gordon's case it's unavoidable.

He should have been in AAA, not in MLB, for at least the first half of 2007. And when he wasn't on the DL last season, he was playing hurt. I basically write off 2009, and if that's a little extreme, disregarding the effects of the injury is equally extreme.

So to me, 2008 far outweighs the other two years. And that year he put up a season that was very promising for a 24-year-old 3Bman. I'm not even sure that it's below-average for 3B. Look at his age and progression and his minor league numbers, and most people would conclude that he was poised for a breakout season in 2009. The fact that it didn't happen because of injury doesn't mean that it won't happen--though it may never happen in KC.

BTW I put zero weight on how high he was drafted. That's irrelevant at this point.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issue with Davis is his lack of BBs and the amount of K's.

Davis has big power and I would like to add him but I see him more as a #7 type hitter that will hit 230, give you a 320ish OBP but give you 30 homers.

Pena had big power too and he also struck out a ton at first. But you are correct that he had more BBs. However Davis has shown more power than Pena in the minors at a younger age.

Davis also has had improving BB/K rates in the minors these last few years.

He's certainly a better candidate than anybody we have in our organization now, and I like him a lot better than Gordon as he's younger and he's had success in the majors at a young age.

Pena had big power too and he also struck out a ton at first. But you are correct that he had more BBs. However Davis has shown more power than Pena in the minors at a younger age.

Davis also has had improving BB/K rates in the minors these last few years.

He's certainly a better candidate than anybody we have in our organization now, and I like him a lot better than Gordon as he's younger and he's had success in the majors at a young age.

Uh, so did Gordon...much moreso than Davis..using your favorite stat, WAR, Gordon has been much better...and that was at similar ages.

Davis has some encouraging batting stats but he has a lot more going against him as well.

Gordon is by far the better bet BUT Davis would be a good acquisition as well.

Uh, so did Gordon...much moreso than Davis..using your favorite stat, WAR, Gordon has been much better...and that was at similar ages.

Davis has some encouraging batting stats but he has a lot more going against him as well.

Gordon is by far the better bet BUT Davis would be a good acquisition as well.

Who has more raw power? Who's the better pakage overall (including defense)? I'd imagine the answers are Davis and Gordon, respectively.

Like you said, both would be a good acquisition. Depends on who can be had for less.

Davis reminds me of Howard in a way. Not that he's nearly as good, but because Howard came up and did really well right away, then struggled in his 2nd full season. He fixed a big hole in his swing, and got back to being a huge producer again. I wonder if Davis could be a worthwhile project for Crowley. Same goes for Gordon. I wonder if they'd take Atkins (with us paying the salary) for either of them. Probably highly unlikely.

Who has more raw power? Who's the better pakage overall (including defense)? I'd imagine the answers are Davis and Gordon, respectively.

Like you said, both would be a good acquisition. Depends on who can be had for less.

Davis reminds me of Howard in a way. Not that he's nearly as good, but because Howard came up and did really well right away, then struggled in his 2nd full season. He fixed a big hole in his swing, and got back to being a huge producer again. I wonder if Davis could be a worthwhile project for Crowley. Same goes for Gordon. I wonder if they'd take Atkins (with us paying the salary) for either of them. Probably highly unlikely.

Even for free, Atkins is not worth the space on any team's roster.

Of the now three guys in this thread, wouldn't he cost the most?

Kila

Gordon

Davis

That's my "price ranking" if you will. Agree/disagree?

Tough to say...Kila may be cheaper than Gordon since Gordon has proven himself at this level.

I am a huge Kila K fan, but I don't believe that he has the power potential to fit the profile.

He should be available, though. The Royals have treated him like a AAAA guy if not organizational fodder. Until Gordon's demotion, I would have said that they value Gordon much more, but now I don't know. I get the sense for the first time that they may be giving up on Gordon.

BTW both Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer have been raking so far this year in the minors. In fact Moustakas has been silly good, and since he's doing it at AA, he might well be knocking on the door soon.

Kila's been really solid in their minor league system and he's blocked by Billy Butler (batting .320, contusing Brad Bergesen's shin). He might be gettable.

2007 Royals AA - .806 OPS

2008 Royals AA - 1.086

2008 Royals AAA - 1.078

2008 Royals MLB - .809

2009 Royals AAA - .825

2010 Royals AAA - 1.078

I like the Alex Gordon and Chris Davis suggestions. Another guy who people used to be all over is Brandon Wood. However, he's looking more and more like a bust but still has that power potential. Any of the former Wood boosters still interested.

I am...but I only want him for SS...I think he will hit enough and his defense should be enough for him to be a league average or better SS.

I feel we are a better team with him vs Izzy.

Archived