The next Carlos Pena?

Sports Guy

It's going to be tough for the Orioles to land a top FA and I do not think they are willing to send a package of 4-5 players to obtain a big bat.

So, with that being said, the Orioles should be looking for a bat that perhaps is still young but hasn't reached potential and could maybe be had for 50 cents on the dollar.

My candidate is Alex Gordon....KC has demoted him.

Now, this doesn't mean that they will trade him or anything like that...it just means that maybe they like some other guys and perhaps he is more expendable in their eyes.

Now, he hasn't shown the power Pena did but he has the power potential and will take a walk....If you look at his stats this year, his LD% is very good but he has a 227 BABIP..he is also hitting a lot of flyballs, which is a good sign.

He could be the perfect "change of scenary" guy that we can take advantage of...like Pie.

Now, we know the Orioles were interested in him this offseason and were willing to move Pie for him. So, perhaps we should call them again?

He can play first or third...Right now, Miggy is doing well at third and we have Bell as well...So, for the time being, we can put him at first and see what happens with Miggy and Bell...Maybe Gordon goes back to first but maybe not.

I am not sure what I would give up for him...i don't think I would move Arrieta or Tillman for him but I would be willing to move 1 or 2 of our young arms...I would also trade a guy like Snyder.

So, do you guys like this idea and if not, is there a guy you see out there that could be the next Pena?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely not

I'd have to think about it to tell the truth. Knee jerk reaction is hell no. And by the way, I'm not equating DH to GO...my two posts are independent thoughts. But Gordon is an interesting case. His MiL stats are excellent. His ML stats are pretty poor. But KC will still need something decent to consider moving him. Berken wouldn't cut it for example. But for a 26 year old with a high ceiling at a corner position.....not sure I'd trade DH, but I'd sure like to get him.

I'd have to think about it to tell the truth. Knee jerk reaction is hell no. And by the way, I'm not equating DH to GO...my two posts are independent thoughts. But Gordon is an interesting case. His MiL stats are excellent. His ML stats are pretty poor. But KC will still need something decent to consider moving him. Berken wouldn't cut it for example. But for a 26 year old with a high ceiling at a corner position.....not sure I'd trade DH, but I'd sure like to get him.

I look at it like this:

Is Gordon's potential that much better than Snyder or Bell and is he more likely to reach that potential, to the point where it is worth it to give up a guy like Hernandez? To me it is just not worth it. If he were a slick-fielding shortstop, it would be a different story.

I look at it like this:

Is Gordon's potential that much better than Snyder or Bell and is he more likely to reach that potential, to the point where it is worth it to give up a guy like Hernandez? To me it is just not worth it. If he were a shortstop, it would be a different story.

I agree with this. Gordon has had ample opportunity to prove himself in KC. Pena was a pretty solid .780 - .800 hitter before getting to Tampa. Gordon has never really shown much power at the ML level, and really seems to be regressing. I would give up someone like Waring for Gordon, but not DH.

Would you trade David Hernandez for him?

In 2 seconds...and I think DH is going to be a valuable member of this team.

But we are talking about a potential middle of the order bat here...It may flop but we have to take a risk.

I look at it like this:

Is Gordon's potential that much better than Snyder or Bell and is he more likely to reach that potential, to the point where it is worth it to give up a guy like Hernandez? To me it is just not worth it. If he were a slick-fielding shortstop, it would be a different story.

I'd say his ceiling is higher than both, certainly Snyder. And for all the talk of DH going to the bullpen at some point to make room for Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, I'd have to think about whether I'd trade a guy who projects as a short reliever in our organization for a guy who was a #2 overall draft pick and has the potential to be a big power bat. However, he has also massively underperformed thus far in his career and had a very high K rate last year. And I'm impressed by DH for a guy in his second ML season.

A trade like this would be a gamble for sure. But you have to take some chances and make hard decisions to build a winner. To stick with the original concept, if we're going to try to build a winner with Garrett Olson for Felix Pie type moves, we'll never get competitive. They are few and far between. Not that this is the answer to that, but I like the idea of getting Gordon....and it's gonna cost us something.

I look at it like this:

Yes, his upside is much higher than Snyder.

It's going to be tough for the Orioles to land a top FA and I do not think they are willing to send a package of 4-5 players to obtain a big bat.

So, with that being said, the Orioles should be looking for a bat that perhaps is still young but hasn't reached potential and could maybe be had for 50 cents on the dollar.

My candidate is Alex Gordon....KC has demoted him.

Now, this doesn't mean that they will trade him or anything like that...it just means that maybe they like some other guys and perhaps he is more expendable in their eyes.

Now, he hasn't shown the power Pena did but he has the power potential and will take a walk....If you look at his stats this year, his LD% is very good but he has a 227 BABIP..he is also hitting a lot of flyballs, which is a good sign.

He could be the perfect "change of scenary" guy that we can take advantage of...like Pie.

Now, we know the Orioles were interested in him this offseason and were willing to move Pie for him. So, perhaps we should call them again?

He can play first or third...Right now, Miggy is doing well at third and we have Bell as well...So, for the time being, we can put him at first and see what happens with Miggy and Bell...Maybe Gordon goes back to first but maybe not.

I am not sure what I would give up for him...i don't think I would move Arrieta or Tillman for him but I would be willing to move 1 or 2 of our young arms...I would also trade a guy like Snyder.

So, do you guys like this idea and if not, is there a guy you see out there that could be the next Pena?

I agree that Gordon is a good target. I'm shocked you'd mention that you don't "think" you'd trade Arrieta or Tillman. Gordon has been dreadful in the majors and has also had trouble staying healthy. I'd be fine with giving up Snyder but they've got a few first basemen in their system.

Hard to guess what to give. Spoone? Patton? C. Joseoh?

Archived