O. Cabrera Willing to Move to Third for Tejada

erb8472

From what I read the Angels floated Santana as available for a big bat some time ago---before Jeff Weaver imploded, before young Weaver developed a sore arm, before Escobar developed a sore arm and before they got so hot that they are really in the race.

After all this I doubt Santana is available.

The Angels have so many intrigueing ml ready prospects that something could be worked out.

Well thought post, and I agree that Santana will likely not be dealt, as he is sorely needed.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kendrick (12) and Aybar (46) are both BA top 50 prospects entering 2006. I am not sure why Aybar is considered swiss cheese per people above, but that is not the case. He is also a better fit for the Os considering he plays SS and we have Roberts to play 2B. Unless we play to flip Roberts (unthinkable, IMO) or Kendrick, I do not see why we would play for Kendrick before Aybar.

I personally do not require a super-prospect in return for Tejada. If we received four players who could be slightly above-average performers (as Kotchman and Aybar should be) who would make the MLB minimum, I would be fine with that. That would give us a strong base from which to add free agents/salary this offseason and next.

I agree hoosiers. Something I floated last week was Tejada for Aybar, Mathis, Kotchman, and Rivera. Aybar, Kotchman, and Rivera slot right in at SS, 1B, and LF, and Mathis gives you a terrific young C/part-time DH. Follow that up with acquisitions along the lines of Shealy, Baker, Diaz, and all of a sudden you're cooking with a young, energetic lineup.

One possible wrinkle would be, get McPherson instead of Rivera, and send Benson, McPherson, Mathis to PHI for Abreu and, one of their young arms... get a big bat to replace Tejada's, plus a young arm to replace Benson.

OK....changing the topic here, but what the heck!

Is there any possibility that the Mariners may be interested in Tejada? I know they were bidding for him when we were, but I don't know if they'd still be interested. They are still in the race, and could use a big bat. I know they aren't getting a lot of production out of the SS position.

Of course, the next question is "do they have anything we want?"

I agree hoosiers. Something I floated last week was Tejada for Aybar, Mathis, Kotchman, and Rivera. Aybar, Kotchman, and Rivera slot right in at SS, 1B, and LF, and Mathis gives you a terrific young C/part-time DH. Follow that up with acquisitions along the lines of Shealy, Baker, Diaz, and all of a sudden you're cooking with a young, energetic lineup.

One possible wrinkle would be, get McPherson instead of Rivera, and send Benson, McPherson, Mathis to PHI for Abreu and, one of their young arms... get a big bat to replace Tejada's, plus a young arm to replace Benson.

I'd do this deal. I'd certainly want Rivera, and we definitely need more position players than pitchers at this point.

OK....changing the topic here, but what the heck!

Is there any possibility that the Mariners may be interested in Tejada? I know they were bidding for him when we were, but I don't know if they'd still be interested. They are still in the race, and could use a big bat. I know they aren't getting a lot of production out of the SS position.

Of course, the next question is "do they have anything we want?"

I thought the Mariners were all set with Betancourt.

Sure, Weaver and Escobar may only miss one start now, but doesn't that raise all kinds of red flags for Stoneman? Would you trade a very good young pitcher that has been healthy when two of you starters have arm issues, however minor they may be?

Of course I'd love to get Santana or Weaver, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. Besides, as others have said, we have pitching depth in the minors, so why not go after their top hitting prospects. If you want a pitcher back in return, maybe you ask for Saunders. I won't throw out any specific ideas because there are so many options and we've heard all the names before.

Davearm for GM anyone? :002_shappy:

I'm thinking we need a bat and an arm from the Angels. If it were to go down, it'd fill two needs for us.

I'm not sure they'd need to give us three players. Take Santana/Weaver and Kendrick and call it a day. If we REALLY need a third, throw Rodrigo in, he'll help their staff as a 5th starter or reliever.

Either way, I'm slowly warming to the idea of this trade. It'll suck to see Miggy go, as 30 hr 100 rbi SS's are few and far between...but if it makes us better in the long run, I can't argue....

OK. Now I'm really convinced that SG and davearm are twins separated at birth.

Why wouldn't the Angels just keep Aybar and Kotchman and trade Mathis and McPherson (as reported) to the Phillies for Abreu? Even you agree Abreu is a better fit for the Angels than Tejada.

I'm thinking we need a bat and an arm from the Angels. If it were to go down, it'd fill two needs for us.

I'm not sure they'd need to give us three players. Take Santana/Weaver and Kendrick and call it a day. If we REALLY need a third, throw Rodrigo in, he'll help their staff as a 5th starter or reliever.

Either way, I'm slowly warming to the idea of this trade. It'll suck to see Miggy go, as 30 hr 100 rbi SS's are few and far between...but if it makes us better in the long run, I can't argue....

With the recent shoulder problems of Weaver, there is no way the Angels are trading Santana. And forget about getting Weaver from them as well.

With the recent shoulder problems of Weaver, there is no way the Angels are trading Santana. And forget about getting Weaver from them as well.

That's a good point.

The tricky thing here to consider is, what are the Angels plans? Are they looking to contend right now? Short term, long term?

Off the top of my head, they can compete this year, go all in, make a trade for Tejada, Abreu, Soriano, whoever and push it in a weak division and try to come out on top..or, they can sit back, let things play out this season and then inject some youth into next years team. Get rid of Anderson, Erstad, bring up ML ready youngsters for significant playing time next year?

As it stands, I can see them going to war with what they have right now and trying to make a bid in that division, and they might even come out on top. They've got so many youngsters that are on the cusp of the big leagues that they might not need to make a trade this season and play for the longer term.

My feeling isn't based on any amount of fact, but it's just how I feel. I think they're just putting feelers out and they won't act. If they do, it'll be a minor deal, but it to me it looks like they're getting ready to dig in, go to war with what they have and horde their youngsters for a brighter future. And if thats the case, I can't really blame em.

OK. Now I'm really convinced that SG and davearm are twins separated at birth.

Why wouldn't the Angels just keep Aybar and Kotchman and trade Mathis and McPherson (as reported) to the Phillies for Abreu? Even you agree Abreu is a better fit for the Angels than Tejada.

FWIW, in my made-up trade, the Phils get Benson too.

But you're right, the Angels would really really have to prefer Tejada, if that offer for Abreu is on the table.

Archived