• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taillon is pretty darn close to a can't miss prospect. He might be a bit better than Beckett, and is right there in that class of big, Texas power pitchers, he's a lot better than some people around here want to give him credit for.

That's what I keep hearing about him. I'm in College so I don't have much time to watch these guys especially in Texas, and a couple clips doesn't tell you as much as watching live games (seeing how a pitcher repeats his delivery, throws different pitches, consistent movement, etc.). But if everything I've read is true, then I think we need to take him at 1:3 if he's available and the Nats take Harper.

Zack Cox, because Taillon while he's a great talent is more risky and is several years away from helping this team, and there will likely be another Taillon in next year's draft for us to pick. Pitching is quite easy to find in any draft.

And Machado is a HS bat, and while he has the tools, this organization has been extremely lousy at developing HS position players.

Cox is an advanced college bat, and can fill a need for us rather quickly, and he's the most polished bat in the draft.

He'd be the Matusz of position players in this draft IMO and would be a nice safe pick at #3.

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/06/jim-callis-interview-part-one.html

With the Orioles offense struggling and the O's minors stocked more with pitchers than hitters, I asked Callis if the O's should take a college hitter with the third pick, even if one is not projected to go that high.

"Not at all. If you are picking three and you're the leading contender to pick one the following year, you are there for a reason. It's not because you are popular. It's because your team stinks.

"You are not going to get any better by getting a guy to the big leagues quicker, you'll get better by getting the best player you can possibly get. Andy MacPhail has been around a long time and Joe Jordan is a good scouting director. I don't think they will fall prey to that. I don't see how you can pass on one of the high school kids for any of the college players in this draft."

Callis said it would be a reach for the Orioles to take a college hitter with the third pick.

"No, it's a bad year for college position guys. The best college bats are probably Zack Cox at Arkansas, Michael Choice from Texas-Arlington or Yasmani Grandal of Miami. Picking those guys at three would be a big stretch.

"Let's say you took the best college bat out there, which in my mind is Zack Cox of Arkansas. Realistically he is at least two years away from the big leagues. So it's not like he is going to ride in a horse tomorrow and lead the Orioles to the top of the AL East. In the AL East, you can't be making short-term solutions just to appease your fans."

If Tailon is there, I want him. Everything I read on him has been good except for one little blurb by Keith Law saying his fastball was getting hit. If a big pitcher like him is available with his stuff, I would take him. If not, I assume it's because the Pirates took him. Then I'm torn. But I'd probaly go with Machado

That's what I keep hearing about him. I'm in College so I don't have much time to watch these guys especially in Texas, and a couple clips doesn't tell you as much as watching live games (seeing how a pitcher repeats his delivery, throws different pitches, consistent movement, etc.). But if everything I've read is true, then I think we need to take him at 1:3 if he's available and the Nats take Harper.

Yeah, I mean I've got some friends in the industry that have been VERY up close and personal with him the past year, and all of them just RAVE about this kid, moreso than with Matzek even and I loved him.

I will have a very hard time rooting for the O's if they pass on Tallion for anyone other than Macado. There can be no Hobgood this year, they have to take the best player available regardless of the cost to sign him.

My Board (Sure to make everyone angry);)

James Taillon

Drew Pomeranz

Bryce Harper

Deck McGuire

Manny Machado (Maybe)

James Taillon is my top guy. The reason is simple as he is seventeen and already 6' 7" tall and throwing for velocity and control. Furthermore scouts love his curve but his slider and change up are also labeled as developing pitches with promise. The team isn't going to contend overnight and Taillon will need some time. I do have some faith in the Orioles ability to develop pitching in the minors. Some have raised question about his fastball being hittable and his mechanics needing work. I respond to this with that is what minor league coaching is for. Let them sort out his mechanics. Let the coaching take place to get movement with his fastball and develop off speed stuff. There is no rush or unfair comparison needed to know this is an excellent fit.

As for Drew Pomeranz there are lots of things to like. One he won't take very long to develop and he won't likely cost an arm and a leg. Furthermore he's a lefty with nearly everything your looking for. His velocity is good and he's got off speed stuff to go with it. If you want to nitpick he isn't a four pitch guy like Brian Matusz. However it's not like the organization is just overflowing with pitching talent. Let me state that again. The organization is not loaded with pitching talent! It has some that look like they've a shot to be good.

Yes, I won't argue that Harper is the most talented of the three. However I liken his risk to that of former Raiders QB Todd Marinovich. I'm not suggesting he will go on to have drug issues. I just think that kids need to be kids. This is a kid that was raised to play Baseball not grow up. Does the club really need a new dimension to dysfunction? When I consider that Baltimore has needs everywhere but at Catcher... and we don't really know that he will stick at Catcher. I really would prefer to see them get someone else. I will expand upon that and go so far as to say that I would welcome his agent holding out and Harper going back to JUCO so the Orioles can get the 4th pick next year. Let the Nationals or someone else spend the money. There is risk to be seen if you look past the hype.

The one that seems most unlikely would be Deck McGuire. However think about this. He has some work to do but it's not like he is 4 years away either. I can't seem to find any consensus as to what his best pitch is or that any of them are plus. However he has been pitching well in college for a significant period of time and looks to be a good pitcher for a long time to come. Though his ceiling may not be as high as others. I consider him a safer selection.

Lastly with Manny Machado I like the kid and if he were a more certain bet to stay at SS I would be stacking this differently. However at 17 years of age with the third pick in the draft you need lofty expectations and there is just too far a gap from 17 year old to every night SS. Furthermore I do not think any A-Rod comp has Merritt. Power for the position is not nearly as important as range in the field and getting on base to score runs. Also if SS isn't his ultimate position, then where? I just remain unsure that I think he has top 5 value. To me this remains a risky prospect. He could well be less athletic than fellow SS Christian Colon in four years.

1. Harper

2. Taillon

3. Machado

4. Pomeranz

Nobody else should really be in the discussion. Indications are Taillon will be on the board at 1:3, and if that's the case, then he should be the pick, because he will be the best player available.

Archived