Taillon to Pirates per KLaw Mock 6-4-10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man will I be steamed if the Pirates take Taillon. Once again, it will demonstrate that the Orioles win just enough games to take themselves out of the running for difference makers.

Machado could end up being a difference maker. But he's not nearly as sure a thing, and he may not stay at SS either...

Man will I be steamed if the Pirates take Taillon. Once again, it will demonstrate that the Orioles win just enough games to take themselves out of the running for difference makers.

Machado could end up being a difference maker. But he's not nearly as sure a thing, and he may not stay at SS either...

Agreed. I suspected something like this would happen as the draft drew closer. Machado loses a ton of value if he doesn't stick at SS as he power potential is somewhat capped. He'd have nice pop as a SS but not so much at 3B.

I wonder if the Pirates know that he's not left-handed. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette doesn't.

What the PPG sportswriters don't know about baseball could fill several libraries.

Still, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Chuck Finder's article online today correctly identifies him as a right-hander.

This. Furthermore, I don't understand why with two games left last year, we made any effort to win. We lose those two games and we get the #2 overall pick. What good came out of winning those last two games? Seriously? We didn't have a 100-loss season? So what. If the Pirates take Taillon and he turns into the stud I think he will be, and our guy doesn't even compare I'm going to be pissed. There is no reason we shouldn't have just re-signed Adam Eaton to pitch those last two games last season.

This. Furthermore, I don't understand why with two games left last year, we made any effort to win. We lose those two games and we get the #2 overall pick. What good came out of winning those last two games? Seriously? We didn't have a 100-loss season? So what. If the Pirates take Taillon and he turns into the stud I think he will be, and our guy doesn't even compare I'm going to be pissed. There is no reason we shouldn't have just re-signed Adam Eaton to pitch those last two games last season.

If this does happen, it will be very similar to when the Rangers took Texeira in 2001. The O's finished the 2000 season with a 4-game winning streak (and a sweep of the Yanks) to end up 3 games ahead of the Rangers. Of course the O's would have LOVED to draft Texeira, but their strong finish in 2000 left them in a lower draft slot, and they chose Chris Smith instead.

BTW, in 2000, the Rangers lost their last 3 games, and 8 of their last 9 to end up with the 5th pick in the 2001 draft.

I like Taillon like the next guy, but most experts seem to think this a 3 man draft at the top. So what's the harm in taking Machado at 3? Not like he'd be blocked at SS in a few years.

Archived