Stuff

bigbird

Just spoke to my contact. He said it's busy as all get out. Flanny and Duquette have their ears glued to their cells. He still thinks there will be a number of moves by the 31st. Recap of some things he said:

Don't look for a trade for Abreu. He wants the option picked up and we think we can address 2 needs for his salary.

Penn will not be called up until Lopez is traded. (Arizona or Texas?)

Scouting Shealy and still a chance he's acquired

Hawkins is generating a lot of interest and he too will be gone before the 31st.

Good chance Millar stays.

Will see some sort of bullpen shake up at the deadline

No interest in Hillenbrand

Some interest in Mench

He'll call if he hears anything concrete. Need to see if Belkast has heard anything from his contact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a theory I guess. But I think we need one Bobby Abreu more than another Kris Benson & Melvin Mora. Nothing against those guys but that's what you get for half Abreu's salary, decent but not impact players. Give me the one impact guy for the money.

Give me Burrell instead ;)

It's a theory I guess. But I think we need one Bobby Abreu more than another Kris Benson & Melvin Mora. Nothing against those guys but that's what you get for half Abreu's salary, decent but not impact players. Give me the one impact guy for the money.

Angelos and his boys rarely do anything but bargain shop as you know.

You have to ask if Abreu is worth his salary. Some interesting info from ESPN:

Still, Abreu also has a lower slugging percentage this year than Scott Hatteberg, Josh Willingham and Edgar Renteria, and some people think he's an $8 million to $10 million player who just happens to be signed for $15 million next season. Now that agent Peter Greenberg has confirmed that Abreu wants his 2008 option exercised in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause, potential acquiring clubs are looking at a $30 million commitment, at a minimum.

Well they could acquire Shealy who will be making the minimum for 3 years.

Anyway what 2 guys could we possibly get for 6-7 million per that will have as much impact as Abreu?

I am simply amazed that the FO will not make this deal. Simply amazed.

JAson Schmidt and Craig Wilson.....

BB, statistically Derek Jeter isn't worth 18 or 20 million. ARod isn't worth 25 million. Very few guys are actually worth their contracts. So he's a little overpaid. Is Kris Benson really worth 7 million when Chen & Rodrigo pitched the same or better last year for about 2 million each? Abreu might slug worse than Scott Hatteburg but he gets on base about as much as Babe freakin Ruth. :D Just kidding.

Too bad we don't have the luxury to have a lot of over paid players on the roster. I just don't think you can be successful on budget with 2 players accounting for over 1/3 of your payroll.

JAson Schmidt and Craig Wilson.....

I don't think there's any way that Schmidt gets only 6-7 million.

It's a shame that the O's think this way, because they are completely wrong. This team needs another impact bat for the middle of the order, not another solid complimentary guy like we are currently stocked with. And to get a player like that (I'm not necessarily saying that Abreu is the guy) you need to spend 12-15 million. This is the kind of thing that our front office seems to like (Benson, Hernandez, Mora, etc.) and though they are nice players, you need 3-4 GREAT players to compete in this division. And until they ante up for a few more "Tejada-type" guys, we will continue to be mediocre.

Too bad we don't have the luxury to have a lot of over paid players on the roster. I just don't think you can be successful on budget with 2 players accounting for over 1/3 of your payroll.

I suppose, and getting a Schmidt would allow us to move young arms for more pieces.

Well it's likely that Shealy would at the very least match what Craig Wilson's production. The guy's not that good...He's an average player who will be getting a 3/18-21 contract from someone. If you sign him you settle for mediocrity unless you have a lot of good players around him.

Jason Schmidt would be great but is pitching really going to be our biggest need next year? Aside from the Rodrigo/Chen fiasco offense has been much more of a problem the past few years, and that only figures to get worse as the pitching certainly looks to be getting better fast.

Wilson's OPS would be 2nd on the Orioles.....If he's not that good, we have a ton of problems my friend.

Archived