Joe Velleggia - 40th Round - C/1B (Calvert Hall, Md)

I wonder what they see in him. Before this year, he didn't play much. This year he played, and struck out almost half the time.

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/velleggia_joe00.html

Wasn't he one of the top HS players in MD the year he graduated, which I believe was the year that their entire baseball program didn't lose a game? Last year wasn't HORRIBLE but hitting .211 with the high K's is pretty questionable. at 6'6" 250, he can't possibly stay behind the plate, can he?

He graduated the year before I arrived. My freshman year (2007) was the year the entire program didn't lose a game.

Honestly, he's probably just organizational depth, who I think they see as an easy sign due to location.

I played against him many times in summer ball. He can hit the [expletive] out of the ball. But he is a pretty bad defensive catcher. It was 4-5 years ago I saw him last, so perhaps he improved back there.

Bingo... Heard he got $20K as well despite the fact that most kids in this draft position get $1K.

Maybe we will get lucky and it works out for us like it did for the Dodgers wwhen they drafted a guy who's late round status was due to knowing people. We deserve some luck.

Archived