Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

I held the same optimism as you did in 1998.

And again in 1999....

...and in 2000....

...and then Moose left, and I still defended the Birds in 2001...

...and in 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

In 2009 going into Spring Training, I could see the team sucked and I was starting to get a little down, but then Opening Day came and I again out on my blinders.

And then going into 2010, I saw a chance for this team to really start to gel together.

Now, after 13 years of losing, I am slowly starting to see that every step forward with this team is two steps back.

I still watch every game.

My nightly mood still depends on whether we won or lost that night.

I still bleed black and orange.

And I still love this team like they are my family.

But what I will not do is blindly accept everything they do as gospel. I will call a spade a spade. And I will be critical of what I see. And what I have seen for 3 years, and historically is true of his 12 years in Chicago, is that MacPhail moves at a snail's pace and it causes free agents to run, trade partners to become frustrated, and deals to not get sealed.

I hope that doesn't happen with Buck, but I won't believe he is the Orioles manager until I see him sitting in our dugout with an Orioles uniform on.

It's OK...as long as you "heckle" fans and players a lot everything will get better.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes sense to me that they take their time with this. If they want to make sure they have the right people in place and the right "system of day to day operations" in place and running from the day he is hired, they will take their time planning it out.

Is it unreasonable to think that AM and Buck are sitting around as PARTNERS planning the next move? Why do we assume there is some adversarial debate going on between them? A power struggle?

If I were one of them I would sit back and have every move for the rest of the season mapped out before we set the new regime in motion. Why not do it that way? What is the rush?

Once he takes over his time commitment shifts drastically towards media relations and player relations. He needs his 24 hr days to be in another direction for now so that the planning can have his full attention.

JMHO

I held the same optimism as you did in 1998.

And again in 1999....

...and in 2000....

...and then Moose left, and I still defended the Birds in 2001...

...and in 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

In 2009 going into Spring Training, I could see the team sucked and I was starting to get a little down, but then Opening Day came and I again out on my blinders.

And then going into 2010, I saw a chance for this team to really start to gel together.

Now, after 13 years of losing, I am slowly starting to see that every step forward with this team is two steps back.

I still watch every game.

My nightly mood still depends on whether we won or lost that night.

I still bleed black and orange.

And I still love this team like they are my family.

But what I will not do is blindly accept everything they do as gospel. I will call a spade a spade. And I will be critical of what I see. And what I have seen for 3 years, and historically is true of his 12 years in Chicago, is that MacPhail moves at a snail's pace and it causes free agents to run, trade partners to become frustrated, and deals to not get sealed.

I hope that doesn't happen with Buck, but I won't believe he is the Orioles manager until I see him sitting in our dugout with an Orioles uniform on.

For one, you can't use your being duped by the organization 15 times as a reason to hate on my optimism. That's unfair.

And if you ever take a look at the other things I write and my friends write, you'll see we clearly don't have blinders on.

Must have your reading glasses set to "selective", as par usual.

And how was that comment right there, not the same exact thing you accused me of doing. And if you look through my post history and compared side by side to yours, though sample size is an issue, you'd find more snarky remarks without substance by you than me.

Probably right..because I speak up when dealing with this type of crap. If it bothers you so much, just move on and comment on things that don't bother you. Otherwise, what's the point of you putting your 2 cents in unless you are bringing something to the conversation?

For one, you can't use your being duped by the organization 15 times as a reason to hate on my optimism. That's unfair.

And if you ever take a look at the other things I write and my friends write, you'll see we clearly don't have blinders on.

But yet you can hate on people's pessimism because of your optimism?

Interesting. :scratchchinhmm:

Probably right..because I speak up when dealing with this type of crap. If it bothers you so much, just move on and comment on things that don't bother you. Otherwise, what's the point of you putting your 2 cents in unless you are bringing something to the conversation?

I'm bringing a different perspective. So have a few recent posters in this conversation that everyone seems to be skipping over. The most recent example:

It makes sense to me that they take their time with this. If they want to make sure they have the right people in place and the right "system of day to day operations" in place and running from the day he is hired, they will take their time planning it out.

Is it unreasonable to think that AM and Buck are sitting around as PARTNERS planning the next move? Why do we assume there is some adversarial debate going on between them? A power struggle?

If I were one of them I would sit back and have every move for the rest of the season mapped out before we set the new regime in motion. Why not do it that way? What is the rush?

Once he takes over his time commitment shifts drastically towards media relations and player relations. He needs his 24 hr days to be in another direction for now so that the planning can have his full attention.

JMHO

It's ok...as long as you complain a lot on an internet forum with anonymity everything will get better.

You complain about my complaining. Which is worse?

And what does this mean, anyway:

ho·mo-heck·le [ho-moh-hek-uhl]

v.

1. to harass with homosexual questions, nonsensical gibberish, or the like; badger: Span, we missed kiss cam!

Origin: San Francisco

:confused:

But yet you can hate on people's pessimism because of your optimism?

Interesting. :scratchchinhmm:

I'm not hating on pessimism. I'm simply saying save all your anger for things that are real issues. International presence. Player development. No junk food in the clubhouse. Those kind of things.

I'm not hating on pessimism. I'm simply saying save all your anger for things that are real issues. International presence. Player development. No junk food in the clubhouse. Those kind of things.

OK. Got it. Can I PM you from now on before I write a post to make sure I complain about the things you are OK with?

What a joke.

On JUNE 16 it was reported that the Orioles scheduled their first interview with Buck Showalter. Here we are one month later, a week after it was first reported that he was going to be named manager, and it is still not finalized. Oh, and by the way, WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BASEBALL SEASON. This doesn't bother you????????

Why? The anger can be spread around to everything.

This organization is so messed up on every level that you always have to question things. You asked me not to call you naive the other day but that's exactly what you are being.

You can complain that people are complaining about nothing...and it may be valid in some ways.

But where its not valid is for you to act as if there is no reason to be worried about this situation. The Orioles ROUTINELY screw things up and make poor decisions. Its not an every once in a while thing...its all the time.

So yes, it is perfectly reasonable to be worried about this.

OK. Got it. Can I PM you from now on before I make a post to make sure I complain about the things you are OK with?

What a joke.

Are you serious? You don't think that all this Buck complaining is putting the cart before the horse?

Save your moaning for if the deal actually doesn't go through.

What will all the whiners say if they announce the Buck deal? And what if it happens this weekend?!

Archived