Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

Actually I see valid points on both sides here. God knows NMS and SG can apply the last umpteen years of O's futility add in a dose of AM pace (which has both been seen and actually been admitted to by AM himself) and see this thing falling apart...

But to your point, we do not know where this negotiation really is. To criticize the pace seems a bit silly to me as we have no idea what is really the driver behind the pace. There may already be a handshake agreement and they are ironing out details, or AM may be percolating. The fact is we don't know. One thing I think I am fairly certain of is that AM is not going to publically offer Buck a job without knowing Buck is going to take it.

There are certain aspects of this where this statement is 100% accurate.

But things like not already having hired a minority candidate, when you have one managing right now, is pathetic.

They have hired a joke like Dempsey but not Samuel, when they know they have to get the minority requirement filled and, on top of that, he has done a pretty good job and the players like him...and you still haven't interviewed him? Are you kidding me? There isn't any justification for this.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But things like not already having hired a minority candidate, when you have one managing right now, is pathetic.

They have hired a joke like Dempsey but not Samuel, when they know they have to get the minority requirement filled and, on top of that, he has done a pretty good job and the players like him...and you still haven't interviewed him? Are you kidding me? There isn't any justification for this.

They don't have to interview him.

We have heard MacPhail say this is no need to bring in a guy quickly since Dave Trembley was fired, that AM has been impressed with Samuel as manager. And I am fine with that. Samuel has been doing a good job.

But most of the stuff from the OP quote support MacPhail as the one dragging this out. Get it right, yes -- but get it done. You have made it clear that Buck is your guy...so what is the hold up, really?

Hopefully they get it done. To have this fall apart, like I said earlier in the thread, would be a disaster.

Fair enough. I agree...I'd feel a lot better when it's in the bag.

I'm going to have a big old smile on my face when it happens.:D

By most accounts they don't have to actually interview Samuel. Instead they simply have to show they seriously considered him. An extended interim period as well as saying good things about him probably fit the bill. Tho I am not advocating that this is necessarily whats behind the hold up.

For anyone to be critical of you curmudgeons ;) when you take the stance of this is gonna get screwed up hasnt been paying attention the past 13 or so years. But honestly, I prefer all the ducks are in a row, that there is common ground between Buck, AM and PA before they offer him the job. If they can't all get on the same page then that would be a true disaster. I want a manager for the next several years not one yesterday.

By most accounts they don't have to actually interview Samuel. Instead they simply have to show they seriously considered him. An extended interim period as well as saying good things about him probably fit the bill. Tho I am not advocating that this is necessarily whats behind the hold up.

For anyone to be critical of you curmudgeons ;) when you take the stance of this is gonna get screwed up hasnt been paying attention the past 13 or so years. But honestly, I prefer all the ducks are in a row, that there is common ground between Buck, AM and PA before they offer him the job. If they can't all get on the same page then that would be a true disaster. I want a manager for the next several years not one yesterday.

Just when I thought I had an ally in you. ;)

All the more reason this shouldn't be drug out as long as it has been.

This is an important point. Three complicated, exacting, and demanding, individuals all have to agree. That is not an easy thing to accomplish

I don't disagree, but why do other teams hire managers in half the time then?

What makes the Orioles an exception?

You have some numbers to back up this statement? Just how long do managerial negotiationa actually take on average. I don't think you have a clue. Any way not every team has an owner like PA, and are trying to hire a control freak like Showalter, with a GM as painstakingly cautious as AM.:rolleyestf:

You have some numbers to back up this statement? Just how long do managerial negotiationa actually take on average. I don't think you have a clue. Any way not every team has an owner like PA, and are trying to hire a control freak like Showalter, with a GM as painstakingly cautious as AM.:rolleyestf:

The Yankees signed Girardi to a 3-year deal 12 days after Joe Torre was fired.

Surely, Girardi, Cashman and Steinbrenner had a bigger egos than Showalter, MacPhail and Angelos, right?

Houston brought in Garner to replace Williams in 2004 without needing an interim manager. The Rockies did the same thing last year with Hurdle and Tracy.

Anyway, it's not so much the length of time this has taken, it's MacPhail's comments that drive me up the wall.

Just a lack of urgency all the way around.

I don't disagree, but why do other teams hire managers in half the time then?

What makes the Orioles an exception?

Yes, all the cool kids are doing therefore we should do it too argument. Good one.

Look I'll be right there with you saying the Orioles aren't doing their due diligence whenever it seems like that's the case. But in this case the Orioles have:

A) Pursued a big name manager

B) Gone into serious conversations about how to fix this team with that manager

C) Are negotiating the best position and responsibilities for that alignment as well as working on a contract.

I don't know about you...but these are exactly the three things I wanted from this project. The speed at which it's completed was not one I saw as more relevant as any of the three above things. Until I know those three things aren't happening, I can't say I'm unhappy with this managerial pursuit.

The Yankees signed Girardi to a 3-year deal 12 days after Joe Torre was fired.

Surely, Girardi, Cashman and Steinbrenner had a bigger egos than Showalter, MacPhail and Angelos, right?

Houston brought in Garner to replace Williams in 2004 without needing an interim manager. The Rockies did the same thing last year with Hurdle and Tracy.

Anyway, it's not so much the length of time this has taken, it's MacPhail's comments that drive me up the wall.

Just a lack of urgency all the way around.

Offseason, totally different. Right now, Orioles are only one looking for a manager. They don't have to race against anyone to get Showalter like they did for Gonzalez.

I kind of agree with this. When it comes to stuff we want seen done the new baseline has become "the Orioles way is definitely worse than how a good franchise would act." Whether there's any evidence for this or not. How many of us paid any attention to how the D'backs managerial turnover went? Or the Marlins?

How long did it take for the Indians to bring on Acta? How many other candidates did they interview? How long did it take to hammer out the contract? Was the hiring even a good choice?

Archived