Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But it's not up to us.

I don't get the angst, here. WHO CARES how long it takes?

Maybe Showalter doesn't want to take over until Roberts and others are back. Maybe Showalter doesn't want to jump into this today.

We just don't know the reasons behind what's going on.

I care. Mainly because time has become a critical - perhaps the most critical - factor affecting how many of us are revising our opinion of Andy MacPhail. It's been three years and we're heading the wrong way. Furthermore, he's now repeatedly making public statements indicating he feel little pressure to move any quicker than he already is.

Hiring Buck Showalter is an opportunity to silence all of us who are becoming increasingly vocal about the team's direction. At least temporarily. To hire Showalter quickly would silence those of us who are becoming increasingly concerned about his suitability to handle the myriad problems that currently need addressing right now. Not tomorrow and certainly not at some indeterminate time in the future.

I care. Mainly because time has become a critical - perhaps the most critical - factor affecting how many of us are revising our opinion of Andy MacPhail. It's been three years and we're heading the wrong way. Furthermore, he's now repeatedly making public statements indicating he feel little pressure to move any quicker than he already is.

Hiring Buck Showalter is an opportunity to silence all of us who are becoming increasingly vocal about the team's direction. At least temporarily. To hire Showalter quickly would silence those of us who are becoming increasingly concerned about his suitability to handle the myriad problems that currently need addressing right now. Not tomorrow and certainly not at some indeterminate time in the future.

So MacPhail is unsuitable if Showalter is hired in two weeks, instead of at 4:30?

I just don't see what the big deal is about getting a new guy in here in day 4197 of the losing era, vice day 4211.

So MacPhail is unsuitable if Showalter is hired in two weeks, instead of at 4:30?

I just don't see what the big deal is about getting a new guy in here in day 4197 of the losing era, vice day 4211.

If THAT is the only issue, than most of us don't care at all.

I can't speak for everyone, but MY issue with the timing is that it concerns me that Buck may say "The hell with this spit" and take off due to the dragging out of the process.

In other words, as long as Buck gets hired, I don't care when it happens. But my confidence in MacPhail getting this done is extremely low right now.

Maybe its all Tony's fault. His expose is causing at least one more day delay in hiring the manager! :laughlol:

I can't speak for everyone, but MY issue with the timing is that it concerns me that Buck may say "The hell with this spit" and take off due to the dragging out of the process.

In other words, as long as Buck gets hired, I don't care when it happens. But my confidence in MacPhail getting this done is extremely low right now.

Maybe its all Tony's fault. His expose is causing at least one more day delay in hiring the manager! :laughlol:

He is supposed to be interviewing AM today. TONY is holding this up!

Um...can you give an example of a decision that has to be quick one?

Sure. Going off the "Padres Interested in Guthrie" thread, here's a possible scenario:

Jed Hoyer: Hey, Andy. We're still interested in Guthrie. Where are you on that? What about an offer of Minor League Pitcher Y and Infield Prospect Z?

AM: Well, as I said, there are many permutations of possible parameters for this deal and we have various combinations of players from your system we might be interested in, following some discussion.

Hoyer: Great. The trade deadline is in, uh, 18 minutes and I started kicking the tires on this 2.5 weeks ago. At what point d'you think you might get around to it?

AM: Well, we are still considering this offer from the Marlins regarding Ty Wigginton. . .

Hoyer: Minor League Pitcher Y and Infield Prospect Z, Andy, yes or no?

AM: This process is very complex and requires careful consideration. I will get back to you.

Hoyer: OK. Just a heads-up that I'll be in Barbados in mid-January. Excuse me, I have to call Mike Rizzo and finish this deal with him in the next 16 minutes. Have a nice day.

See this makes sense to me. I understand the jaded curmudgeonly pessimism :laughlol: as this team hasn't given us much to be positive about but until it doesn't happen why get hopped up over speculation on top of speculation. If he doesnt come here and it becomes evident that it was the result of the O's bungling it then by all means go thru the roof... I will supply the trampoline and jump with you!!!

But it's not up to us.

I don't get the angst, here. WHO CARES how long it takes?

Maybe Showalter doesn't want to take over until Roberts and others are back. Maybe Showalter doesn't want to jump into this today.

We just don't know the reasons behind what's going on.

Because at some point you do have to worry about the other party saying, see ya later.

Weren't you one of the guys asking why would anyone reputable guy want this job? Well, here we have arguably the most reputable guy and its taking forever.

Because at some point you do have to worry about the other party saying, see ya later.

Weren't you one of the guys asking why would anyone reputable guy want this job? Well, here we have arguably the most reputable guy and its taking forever.

I get that... and if that happens, I'll let MacPhail have it for not recognizing Showalter's requested time frame.

But right now, I just don't see the point in grilling him over nothing.

What if Buck is fine with all of this?

I get that... and if that happens, I'll let MacPhail have it for not recognizing Showalter's requested time frame.

But right now, I just don't see the point in grilling him over nothing.

What if Buck is fine with all of this?

For all we know, Buck is the cause of all this.

JMO, I think complete autonomy in hiring is staff is a BIG issue to him. It was the biggest factor in leaving the Skanks.

For all we know, Buck is the cause of all this.

JMO, I think complete autonomy in hiring is staff is a BIG issue to him. It was the biggest factor in leaving the Skanks.

And again, if something like this is the issue, it still goes back to the AM and PA.

He should be able to pretty much do what he wants..including naming his staff.

If it were merely a question of day 4197 vs. 4211 I wouldn't have bothered. The gist of my post concerned my increasing perception that, if necessary, AM is content to wait until day 5211 all the while blowing smoke and flashing his what-me-worry grin every time he's confronted about the state of the team after three unspectacular years under his stewardship.

What should be underscored in your post is the fact that your day count is pretty close to the actual number of days since the Orioles were competitive. I'm completely unswayed by relative comparisons these days, more inclined to focus on the fact that anyway you slice it, that's a lot of days. Enough to where, like Rod Stewart, sometimes I feel justified in looking for a reason to believe.

Quickly and decisively hiring the new manager (preferably Showalter IMO) is a golden opportunity to provide such a reason to believe. Call it continued buy-in to a "plan" that's becoming increasingly difficult to decipher and a methodology that's becoming increasingly difficult to sanction.

And again, if something like this is the issue, it still goes back to the AM and PA.

He should be able to pretty much do what he wants..including naming his staff.

But it might not be standing in the way so much as replacing 90% of the coaching staff might not be as easy as picking names out of a hat.

Deciding who stays and who goes, when those people go, who stays until the end of the year, who in the org moves up and who replaces them from within.

But it might not be standing in the way so much as replacing 90% of the coaching staff might not be as easy as picking names out of a hat.

Deciding who stays and who goes, when those people go, who stays until the end of the year, who in the org moves up and who replaces them from within.

And Buck should be able to do all of this and have full control of it.

Archived