Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

The Yankees signed Girardi to a 3-year deal 12 days after Joe Torre was fired.

Surely, Girardi, Cashman and Steinbrenner had a bigger egos than Showalter, MacPhail and Angelos, right?

Houston brought in Garner to replace Williams in 2004 without needing an interim manager. The Rockies did the same thing last year with Hurdle and Tracy.

Anyway, it's not so much the length of time this has taken, it's MacPhail's comments that drive me up the wall.

Just a lack of urgency all the way around.

That was in the offseason

How about the Marlins?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was listening to Buster Olney on ESPN radio this morning talking about how White Sox GM Ken Williams will pull a quick trigger. Gave the example that negotiations can start on a Wednesday and be done on a Thursday. You know, the following day, not NEXT Thursday. ;)

No, dude...MacPhail is way slow. When you start reading reports of how deliberate he is, who do you think they're saying he's deliberate to in comparison?

But do you think this is a secret? You don't think that Showalter understands this? For all you know Showalter is involved with every step of the process.

Just saying, MacPhail is deliberate - but I doubt he is just sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

Except for this:

An extended interim period as well as saying good things about him probably fit the bill

Again not sure that is whats going on but we can all speculate

You know, none of this is helping your argument, right? :D

Either they have to interview or they don't...either way, this isn't something that should be holding up anything.

Surely, Girardi, Cashman and Steinbrenner had a bigger egos than Showalter, MacPhail and Angelos, right?

Houston brought in Garner to replace Williams in 2004 without needing an interim manager. The Rockies did the same thing last year with Hurdle and Tracy.

Anyway, it's not so much the length of time this has taken, it's MacPhail's comments that drive me up the wall.

Not the best example.

Cashman: Hey Joe

Girardi: YES, YES, YES...

I mean everyone knew Girardi was waiting for the opportunity...and that the Yankees wanted him.

Not the best example.

Cashman: Hey Joe

Girardi: YES, YES, YES...

I mean everyone knew Girardi was waiting for the opportunity...and that the Yankees wanted him.

Well we have known for weeks that Buck wants the job and that he has been the Orioles leading candidate.

Fair enough.. but as I recall of that stuff happened very quickly. Point being, maybe that situation is a warning against moving too quickly.

It sounds more like Loria and Valentine were oil and water.

I am glad that it happened to the Marlins and not us...because that is what I would expect to happen in Baltimore.

The Marlins are a well-run organization as far as player development is concerned, it's definitely the more attractive option between Baltimore and Florida, but apparently Loria really insulted Valentine.

Like SG, and myself have said, things appear to be OK with Showalter and the O's. Now they just need to get it done. This thing can't fall apart.

It wasn't a midseason replacement, and anyway it is one anecdotel incident. Where are the numbers for the average length of negotiations to back up your claim that it usually takes half he time. I am reluctant to be critical of the length of time it is taking, because I don't know what is average. So what are you basing your certainty on?:rolleyestf:

All sides have agreed to each other here, too.

So Showalter played for the Orioles? Showalter had made it known for quite a while that his dream job would be managing the Orioles? He turned down another job just waiting for the Orioles to call?

My only point was that egos or not, comparing the Yankees to the Orioles in their manager search was not the best example.

You know, none of this is helping your argument, right? :D

Either they have to interview or they don't...either way, this isn't something that should be holding up anything.

Well as far as that goes I don't disagree.. I am much more concerned about getting the right manager than I am about following the leagues minority hiring program as really all I care about are the O's. Nonetheless knowing where AM came from and where he is probably going I can't see him cutting the corners on that policy.

I only offer this as one of potential reasons for the delay versus some of the other suggested reasons (ie incompetence, cautiousness, searches for the right sweatervests, long naps etc..)

It sounds more like Loria and Valentine were oil and water.

I am glad that it happened to the Marlins and not us...because that is what I would expect to happen in Baltimore.

The Marlins are a well-run organization as far as player development is concerned, it's definitely the more attractive option between Baltimore and Florida, but apparently Loria really insulted Valentine.

Like SG, and myself have said, things appear to be OK with Showalter and the O's. Now they just need to get it done. This thing can't fall apart.

Well I want it to happen too, but frankly if that is true (the oil and water) then it not happening probably was a good thing. The same is true between Buck/PA/AM. If they can't get along then a bigger disaster then losing Buck would be hiring him.

Archived