Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

Well I want it to happen too, but frankly if that is true (the oil and water) then it not happening probably was a good thing. The same is true between Buck/PA/AM. If they can't get along then a bigger disaster then losing Buck would be hiring him.

We are past the point of that happening now, though.

If Showalter doesn't become the manager of the O's, it will be because one side won't like what the other is asking.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Showalter played for the Orioles? Showalter had made it known for quite a while that his dream job would be managing the Orioles? He turned down another job just waiting for the Orioles to call?

My only point was that egos or not, comparing the Yankees to the Orioles in their manager search was not the best example.

If the O's were hiring Rick Dempsey, I bet the process would have moved slow.

I'd love for this to be explained:

MacPhail again denied reports that a new manager could be in place as early as this weekend, though he wouldn’t comment further on the timing of the decision. One source familiar with MacPhail’s thinking said it’s possible that Samuel will remain at the helm of the club until the first week of August, though obviously the decision could be accelerated if the team plays poorly on the current 10-game homestand.

Why would any chance of well-played or poorly-played baseball have anything to do with putting the new manager in place?? :scratchchinhmm:

Whole article HERE.

Not much new; however, it does look like it's simply administrative issues that are being resolved. I reserve to right to change the answer to my poll question from earlier on today. :D

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-five-questions-0716-20100715,0,7036379.story

I didn't realize Mazz was NOT ALLOWED to bring in his own guys. That's a revelation to me. No wonder he couldn't succeed. He never had the hand to lead with authority. Authority came from the front office. Same with Trembley. Set up to fail. That's a sick organization right there that cannot trust its own hiring process or judgment to the point where they second guess new managers even as they hire them.

I pray they don't try to continue this with the next hire. Because if it's anyone worth his salt - like Buck or Wedge (my preference) - then that person will INSIST on hiring his own staff.

I wouldn't want a manager who didn't insist on hiring his own staff.

I'd love for this to be explained:

Why would any chance of well-played or poorly-played baseball have anything to do with putting the new manager in place?? :scratchchinhmm:

Whole article HERE.

I don't understand several quotes by MacPhail in that article.

He says the guys are "responding well to Samuel". I agree. But what should that do with hiring Showalter? If you are pleased with that, then just have a constant evolving manager rotation. When the players tire of Samuel, or they go on another bad game losing streak -- fire Samuel -- and replace him with someone else who will get the players to respond well to him for a month and keep repeating the same process.

Also, it sounds like MacPhail is ready to put the manager on the back-burner so he can deal with the trade deadline. Again, that's fine, but it also supports the notion that MacPhail can only do one thing at a time.

I don't understand several quotes by MacPhail in that article.

He says the guys are "responding well to Samuel". I agree. But what should that do with hiring Showalter? If you are pleased with that, then just have a constant evolving manager rotation. When the players tire of Samuel, or they go on another bad game losing streak -- fire Samuel -- and replace him with someone else who will get the players to respond well to him for a month and keep repeating the same process.

Also, it sounds like MacPhail is ready to put the manager on the back-burner so he can deal with the trade deadline. Again, that's fine, but it also supports the notion that MacPhail can only do one thing at a time.

I don't claim to know what's going on, but it seems to me that someone may think Samuel could be the manager of this team.

If MacPhail lets this extend out so that he can focus on the trade deadline, then he is a bigger fool than even I imagined!

As for Lomax, simple question for you...

If it is taking THIS long to iron out all the details of the manager deal, doe sit not concern you that in the future these same men will have to make quick decisions regarding the team?

I just want one question answered.....

Why do the Orioles always have to make things difficult?

Its just never easy with them.

I agree with you. It seems that they drag everything out...but is it possible that it's Showalter's doing? I don't necessarily think that's the case, because he strikes me as a guy who is probably chomping at the bit to get back in the driver's seat.

If MacPhail lets this extend out so that he can focus on the trade deadline, then he is a bigger fool than even I imagined!

If it is taking THIS long to iron out all the details of the manager deal, doe sit not concern you that in the future these same men will have to make quick decisions regarding the team?

Agree with the bold part. You would think that bringing Showalter in would be a big relief on his part and ALLOW him to focus on the trade deadline.

I still don't see us doing a whole lot at the deadline anyway.

I agree with you. It seems that they drag everything out...but is it possible that it's Showalter's doing? I don't necessarily think that's the case, because he strikes me as a guy who is probably chomping at the bit to get back in the driver's seat.

I doubt it but its possible....the thing is, he could be dragging it in different ways...IE, he wants more control and AM is afraid to give it to him.

End of the day, it falls back on the O's, I would assume..since that's how it has been for years.

Agree with the bold part. You would think that bringing Showalter in would be a big relief on his part and ALLOW him to focus on the trade deadline.

I still don't see us doing a whole lot at the deadline anyway.

Not to mention, wouldn't somebody like Buck Showalter be a valuable assett to have in place to give feedback at the deadline?

I swear, the more things change, the worse things get around here.

Lomax...wouldn't you want Buck in place to provide input at the trade deadline??????????

Um...can you give an example of a decision that has to be quick one?

I really think everyone here on OH is just wayyyy to close and invested in the situation to be objective.

SportsGuy thinks the O's are making it difficult. I think that's just our perception. I think we just want the right answer and expect it when we want it. Sometimes, things just aren't that easy. Actually...more often than not, things just aren't that easy.

Clap - Why do you think Buck is chomping at the bit to get back in the driver seat? What about your knowledge of Buck makes you think that he wants to be in the dugout this weekend?

I don't claim to know what's going on, but it seems to me that someone may think Samuel could be the manager of this team.

The thing is Macphail is talking constantly with Showalter and knows what is going on.

So to him he is moving along at a good pace,and it is probably the same for Showalter.

But to us the fans the process seems like it is being drawn out,we have no idea what is going on, so we think nothing is going on and that he is taking to long.

It is like when you were a kid and on a family trip in the car and the kid in the back seat keeps asking,

are we there yet?

And dad who knows how long the trip is going to take just says,

not yet.

And then 5 minutes latet the kid says,

are we there yet?

and dad says again,

not yet

And this goes on and on and on.

Archived