Dan Connolly: Showalter will likely take over in the near future

ChaosLex

Not much new; however, it does look like it's simply administrative issues that are being resolved. I reserve to right to change the answer to my poll question from earlier on today. :D

Buck Showalter, current ESPN analyst and former manager of the New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks and Texas Rangers, is the leading candidate and likely will take over in the near future.

There is no hiring timetable, however, and there are several issues that have to be worked out with Showalter, including contractual terms, specific responsibilities and staffing decisions. President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail historically takes his time with important decisions, so a move could be made in days or in weeks.

Although an external hire is expected, MacPhail has been impressed with the club's response to interim manager Juan Samuel, who is 14-20 since taking over for Dave Trembley on June 4. The Orioles are 10-7 in their past 17 games and have won a season-high-tying four straight with a sweep in Texas to end the first half.

Still, a change — and more turnover — is expected. Unlike Lee Mazzilli, the club's last external manager hire in 2003, Showalter probably would be allowed to bring in his own coaches. It's unlikely Showalter would accept a deal without being able to make staff changes.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-five-questions-0716-20100715,0,7036379.story

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Near future? What's that mean for MacPhail? Few months? Next spring?

Of course there's no timetable, there's never a freaking timetable with this guy.

Time...kills...all...deals.

Wait and see.

Except for Adam Jones and Felix Pie.

Britt had this to report tonight:

Dickerson leaves Tides for a few days

The Orioles affiliate, the Norfolk Tides, will be managed by Minor League Roving Catching Instructor Don Werner until Monday. I'm told interim manager Bobby Dickerson is home for a few days, to make up for the vacation time he lost when promoted from roving Minor League instructor to interim manager.

This could be nothing. But I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Dickerson happens to be extremely close to Buck Showalter, who is rumored to be nearing a deal to manage the Orioles. Dickerson played under Showalter while in the Minors and was the Arizona Diamondbacks infield instructor 1998-1999, part of the three years Showalter was at the helm.

I know the two have great respect for each other and that Dickerson would jump at the chance to join a Major League staff in any capacity.

Again, it could be nothing. This is pure speculation on my part, and Dickerson is expected to rejoin the Tides on Monday. Still, it's rather interesting timing to be taking an extended, non-emergency leave...

Interesting...

The timetable of the managerial thing is going to be open ended. It's the first time going through an in-season process for me," MacPhail said. "I think once you get comfortable with a decision you make it. But you have to get there and you have to weigh all the options and look at all the information."

He is still weighing options and deciphering info. I wonder if D-Day had as much information and took as much time.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2010-07-15-69263694_x.htm

The timetable of the managerial thing is going to be open ended. It's the first time going through an in-season process for me," MacPhail said. "I think once you get comfortable with a decision you make it. But you have to get there and you have to weigh all the options and look at all the information."

He is still weighing options and deciphering info. I wonder if D-Day had as much information and took as much time.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2010-07-15-69263694_x.htm

Agreed. Good thing MacPhail isn't in charge of anything national security related as well. Can you imagine if he needed to act swiftly in some real life situation where lives were at stake?

Comfortable with a decision? Is this going to take as much time as it takes me to break in a leather sofa? Comfortable? JUST DO IT!!! Jeez, stop beating around the freaking bush and pull the trigger. What is with this guy? Why's everything so painstakingly slow?!?!?

If this were a race between a turtle, a sloth, and MacPhail...MacPhail would be getting lapped.

Archived