What to do with Matusz???

webbrick2010

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I noticed a reference in another thread about Matusz that comped him a bit to Bedard. Lots of pitches, nibbling, stamina issues.

Just to prove my point. First full year in the majors:

Bedard: 121 K's, 71 BB's. 5.2 IP Per start.

Matusz: 91 K's 47 BB's. 5.38 IP per start.

I guess a better K/BB ratio and a bit longer in starts means Bedard probably should have not stayed in the majors or maybe been a fringe matchup lefty too.

If Matusz doesn't have injury problems, there is no reason he can't be a long term successful lefty. Just some issues to work out.

Not to quote myself here...but it seems the comp which seems particularly accurate has gone unreferenced.

For those of you who think Matusz has been bad lately how about we throw a few more stats out there.

In the month of July 2004 Bedard/July 2004 Matusz:

35 innings, 38 K's, 15 BB's, 41 hits, age 25 Born 1979

20 innings, 21 K's, 16 BB's, 21 hits age 23 Born 1987

Hmmm, me thinks some people are ready to write a guy off because they expect too much. Dude is 23 years old. He's got a long way to go before he's going to be consistent. In the same way other aces for the Orioles that have been groomed have done.

Not to quote myself here...but it seems the comp which seems particularly accurate has gone unreferenced.

For those of you who think Matusz has been bad lately how about we throw a few more stats out there.

In the month of July 2004 Bedard/July 2004 Matusz:

35 innings, 38 K's, 15 BB's, 41 hits, age 25 Born 1979

20 innings, 21 K's, 16 BB's, 21 hits age 23 Born 1987

Hmmm, me thinks some people are ready to write a guy off because they expect too much. Dude is 23 years old. He's got a long way to go before he's going to be consistent. In the same way other aces for the Orioles that have been groomed have done.

Bedard was also coming off of TJ surgery that year.

I don't think that Matusz and Bedard are good comps at all. They are different pitchers.

The only thing I see that is worth bringing up is that Matusz tries to be too fine, which was Bedard's issue...oh and they are both left handed. Other than that, I don't see anything that screams that they are similar pitchers.

Bedard was also coming off of TJ surgery that year.

I don't think that Matusz and Bedard are good comps at all. They are different pitchers.

The only thing I see that is worth bringing up is that Matusz tries to be too fine, which was Bedard's issue...oh and they are both left handed. Other than that, I don't see anything that screams that they are similar pitchers.

You're missing the point. It's not that they are similar pitchers, in fact read the quote of my earlier post and what I linked as the two being similar.

It's that guys in July that are coming into the league may very well be likely to struggle. That's all. It's using stats to show that a guy who becomes an ace doesn't have to be perfect all the time and can struggle for an entire month.

A 6+ ERA represents that.

Following your post this is an argument that Matusz should stay up. I'm not sure what your critique other than you not getting my point was of my post. Not comping them as the same guy. Just comping them as rookies and struggling late summer. More specifically the nibbling, the stamina issues (carried on much past this year and his TJ surgery) and early high pitch counts as the partial comparison. Did you read the whole post?

He has been very unimpressive in AAA thus far.

At this point in the season, with just a few months left in a lost season, why exactly should Matusz be sent down?

Lack of command, blow apart meltdown innings, stamina problems, walking too many hitters, wild in and out of the strike zone, wildly inconsistent, lack of confidence... I could go on ad nauseum but do you really want me to do that?:confused:

No one is saying Matusz has looked wonderful or anything as of late. He has struggled..although last night was a joke since he got taken out too early and you don't know what would have happened.

No one is happy he is getting taken out early or struggling with his command.

But the drum you have been beating against Matusz over the last few weeks is his decreased velocity...Well, his velocity appeared to be back to normal last night, so that is a positive. As he said, he felt great but he screwed up in that one inning and wasn't given a chance to work out of it.

Work out of it? He already had walked in a run and allowed a run on a sac fly and the bases were still loaded. I fully expected if he had remained in there the next thing he would do was wild pitch a runner in and then give up a monster shot three run homer. If that is what you wanted to see, then I am wrong!

I disagree. He isn't good enough to allow his pitches to get too much of the plate. Ergo, he is a nibbler by necessity. Much moreso than guys with better stuff like Arietta and Tillman.

It is so perfect that you were a prison guard. Let it be known that if you commit a crime, by law you must listen to and obey OldFan.

Oldfan and webbrick, It's a sophmore slump, maybe Matusz isn't quite Strasburg because major league hitters do their homework. One bad season at age 24 is not enough to warrant giving up all hope and proclaim that sky is falling. If he continues to struggle next year I'll join you.

From the Sun:

I was little bit shocked because it was so soon, and my first few innings I was so effective,” Matusz said. “Things were going so well. I still felt pretty good at that point. I was a little upset. Obviously nobody likes coming out of the game, especially when you have good stuff and that’s how I felt. Juan obviously felt that it was a game that we had, we had the lead at the time, and I wasn’t capable of finishing the job, so that was the move he decided to make and obviously I wanted to stay in there and keep going. But if I don’t like it I need to stop walking guys and pitch better.”

Good man... he told the truth but managed to do it in the right way...

As for yanking him, I didn't like it either. At the same time, it's something Earl might have done. He used to get guys up in the BP when he had no intention of using them, just to scare his SP into buckling down... and that only works after you prove you'll yank somebody early. I realize that doesn't apply to Juan since he's about to not be the manager anymore, but still... I don't see Matusz can be surprised about being yanked when he walked 3 guys out of 4 and gave up a double to the one guy he didn't walk. If you wanna get yanked, that's a good way to do it...

Oldfan and webbrick, It's a sophmore slump, maybe Matusz isn't quite Strasburg because major league hitters do their homework. One bad season at age 24 is not enough to warrant giving up all hope and proclaim that sky is falling. If he continues to struggle next year I'll join you.

I have not given up on him, I hope he figures it out. If I had to make a prognostication (guess) about his future I see him as a bullpen guy. That being said I believe he will be a starter for the next couple of years. My only thought in starting this thread was to get opinions on whether folks thought it would be a good idea to spend the next month at AAA. I believe it would. Most believe he should stay in the ML rotation. My secondary question was for how long if he continues to be totally ineffective (like his last 4 starts). Most folks say keep him up no matter what. I have a problem with that as it continues the culture of losing. I'm hoping that Showater does not accept lolsses as easily as the OH.

I have not given up on him, I hope he figures it out. If I had to make a prognostication (guess) about his future I see him as a bullpen guy. That being said I believe he will be a starter for the next couple of years. My only thought in starting this thread was to get opinions on whether folks thought it would be a good idea to spend the next month at AAA. I believe it would. Most believe he should stay in the ML rotation. My secondary question was for how long if he continues to be totally ineffective (like his last 4 starts). Most folks say keep him up no matter what. I have a problem with that as it continues the culture of losing. I'm hoping that Showater does not accept lolsses as easily as the OH.

Yeah. Guys w/ four MLB-level pitches generally are.

Archived