Alfredo Simon stinks

MZ HAMMER

That's the life of a reliever, man. A stretch of innings with 0 runs, then an inning or two of 1 or 2 runs. You'll see that with almost every reliever. If they were all perfect outings, they'd have a 0.00 ERA.

Do you realize that Hernandez has only given up 8 runs as a reliever this year? And those runs are over 5 appearances? All his other appearances, he hasn't given up anything.

These things HAPPEN.

Also, you're pulling numbers out of your butt and that don't fly.

I don't want to sound like a hater, but it seems there are alot of David Hernandez supporters on this site even when he stinks.

He BLEW the game tonight and it's obvious he is not good. Admit it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to sound like a hater, but it seems there are alot of David Hernandez supporters on this site even when he stinks.

You don't have very good evaluation skills. I'm sorry.

Ummmm.....

Hernandez: 2.42 ERA, 1.153 WHIP, 4.43 SO/BB, 10.7 K/9, .232 opp AVG, .633 opp OPS

Mmkay? Greaaaaaaaat.

lumberg.jpg

Hernandez and Berken have bailed out this staff more times than an elephant can remember this year. Those guys do not deserve a bashing by blowing a random close game where the O's are ahead.

They're both solid and I have nothing but praise for their efforts. The rest of the BP has sucked and hasn't disappointed opposing fans at all.

I'm definitely more in agreement with sdmarkakis, but Simon does have a penchant for blowing games in particularly dramatic ways. Tonight, 2 outs, nobody on, ending it with a 3-run homer. Plus there was this game.

Aren't most blown saves in dramatic fashion? Just the same as most 9th inning comebacks are always considered dramatic.

They hurt more than a regular loss, but his 15 saves are also pretty dramatic if you're an Orioles fan.

hurf durf

As a reliever ...

Hernandez: 2.42 ERA, 1.153 WHIP, 4.43 SO/BB, 10.7 K/9, .232 opp AVG, .633 opp OPS

Simon: 4.18 ERA, 1.515 WHIP, 1.41 SO/BB, 6.7 K/9, .256 opp AVG, .729 opp OPS

There you go, that's how he's better. In every important way.

How many blown saves does Hernandez have? I'd agree he's been better at preventing baserunners and runs overall, but I doubt that the team would have fewer blown saves right now if the two pitchers' roles were reversed.

I am tired of Alfredo Simon blowing save after save for us

He had 2 outs and nobody on and still couldn't come thru

This is inexcusable. We should give somebody like David Hernandez

a chance to be our Closer

Did you watch the game last night?

I turned my TV off just as the ball was sailing into the seats. You could just tell something bad was going to happen, the way that Simon was struggling in the preceding pitches and his efforts to clean his spikes, etc.

I don't see Simon as a shut-down closer, but 15/18 is non-embarassing. I think he will keep the job for the rest of this year so long as his ratio remains in that neighborhood. (Though I don't know what Showalter may do.)

I could not agree more. In fact, I'm just pretty stoked that the Orioles, at worst, have a good late-innings power arm. Even if he doesn't stick at closer, he's got a very rare combo of velocity and movement on his pitches. Any guy who can throw 96-99 with that much late movement should be a fixture in the bullpen.

For whatever reason, Simon gets shafted on here. Has he been great? No. But he has been very good. Is he the long term answer at closer? Maybe not but he definitely has a spot at the back of our bullpen. The exact same thing can be said for Hernandez. And if Gonzalez stays healthy you can throw him in there too. If JJ makes it back, we are going to be set next year in the pen. I still think that Berken is a starter, and I think that Buck will move him back into the rotation. My hope is that VandenHurk (sp) can take the middle -long relief role, and Patton can make it as the second lefty.

It's not that Simon hasn't done well, percentage-wise, in getting saves, he just flirts with disaster too much for myu liking.

I still think he has a lot of value to this team in the bullpen, though. I think he could be come a good 7th or even 8th inning guy...if we're going with roles.

For whatever reason, Simon gets shafted on here. Has he been great? No. But he has been very good.

I'd say he has been OK. Very good is a stretch. Of 14 AL pitchers with 10 or more saves, Simon is 12th in ERA, 14th in WHIP, 10th in save percentage. The average save percentage for those 14 closers is 88%; Simon is at 83%. That's a margin of less than one save, i.e., one fewer blown save and he'd be better than league average. So, the bottom line is that Simon has not really hurt us significantly. But I wouldn't say he's been "very good."

Archived