Where will Brian Matusz finish in the ROY voting?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Brian Matusz finish in the ROY voting?

What exactly is your point? Yeah, the O's have had several rookies of the year. They've also had Hall of Fame players who didn't win rookie of the year. Still, finishing somewhere near the top of the Rookie of the Year voting is an honor.

You don't have as high an opinion of Brian Matusz as many other posters. Fine, that's your perogative. But there's nothing stupid about this poll. It's a poll for people who have an opinion about who, among rookie players, has had a better season than Matusz. What is stupid is your choice to vote that Matusz won't finish in the top five, when you have absolutely no idea who might finish ahead of him. If you don't like the poll, then don't vote, but don't vote ignorantly.

By the way, David Price didn't receive any votes for AL Rookie of the Year last season.

So what? He's still night and day better than Matusz. :rolleyes:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to completely miss the point about you voting against Matusz and not having an idea of who would finish ahead.

I don't need to know who would finish ahead. IMO anyone with such a horrible W-L record shouldn't even receive a vote. And before you want to crucify me, think about this. Would any pitcher get a Cy Young vote if his record was say, 14-20? I think not.

I don't always agree with you but this is spot on!:thumbsup1::vader::agree:

I keep waiting for any one of the 28 posters who voted that Matusz wouldn't finish in the top 5 to name the 5 players who will finish ahead of him. Among pitchers, there are only 4 who threw 100 innings -- Davis, Matusz, Talbot and Arrieta. There is no way Talbot or Arrieta finish ahead of Matusz. Among relievers, only two had more than 10 saves -- Feliz and Simon (yes, that Simon). Among hitters, only Jackson and Boesch had 400 plate appearances, which is well below what is requried to qualify.

So that gives you Davis, Feliz, Jackson and Boesch as plausible players to finish ahead of Matusz. There simply isn't anyone else with a realistic shot.

Did you miss the part where Matusz leads all rookie pitchers in wins?

And to base it on W-L record shows how little you understand of the game.

And you don't seem to understand the history of the game and that is they don't give major awards to losers! (A fairly simple concept).:eek:

I keep waiting for any one of the 28 posters who voted that Matusz wouldn't finish in the top 5 to name the 5 players who will finish ahead of him. Among pitchers, there are only 4 who threw 100 innings -- Davis, Matusz, Talbot and Arrieta. There is no way Talbot or Arrieta finish ahead of Matusz. Among relievers, only two had more than 10 saves -- Feliz and Simon (yes, that Simon). Among hitters, only Jackson and Boesch had 400 plate appearances, which is well below what is requried to qualify.

So that gives you Davis, Feliz, Jackson and Boesch as plausible players to finish ahead of Matusz. There simply isn't anyone else with a realistic shot.

So essentially you are saying they all suck wind?:scratchchinhmm: If so, maybe they should just skip the award this year based on overall suckitude?:confused: I would imagine Strasburg is a lock in the NL or should be.

Why is it a pitchers' fault if the team itself cant get the win?

Isn't he part of the team? A great pitcher will do a better job of pitching to their run support. 13-13 IMO isn't outstanding enough for a Cy Young. That is a mediocre record, and not nearly enough wins.

Isn't he part of the team? A great pitcher will do a better job of pitching to their run support. 13-13 IMO isn't outstanding enough for a Cy Young. That is a mediocre record, and not nearly enough wins.

Then you haven't paid attention to the 2010 Seattle Mariners.

Hernandez has 12 losses. The Mariners have only scored 14 runs in those losses.

So essentially you are saying they all suck wind?:scratchchinhmm: If so, maybe they should just skip the award this year based on overall suckitude?:confused: I would imagine Strasburg is a lock in the NL or should be.

What you need to realize is that there are very few rookies who break in and have great success right away -- this year or any other year. For a guy like Matusz to come in at age 23 and not miss a single start and pitch pretty well puts him way, way above most rookies. There are 50+ rookie pitchers who started a game in 2010, and only 5 of them threw enough innings to qualify.

I think the NL ROY will be very interesting. I seriously doubt Strasburg wins the award. He simply didn't pitch long enough. But, I won't be surprised if he gets some votes.

Archived