Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we aren't going to contend next year, I don't think the difference between Lee, Konerko, Pena, et al. matters. I would try and lock one up on a 1 or 2 year deal quickly to ensure we don't get shut out and concentrate on filling other holes.

This will be tough because a) we don't have much to trade b) there's not much out there that fits well and c) we stink and players with options aren't going to choose us over a contending team. All the more reason to lock up a firstbasemen.

I'd resign Koji.

If Berken seems healthy, I'd let JJ work as a starter but be ready to move him back if he doesn't show starter stuff fairly quickly.

Bell's clearly not ready. I'd see if I could get A. Gordon on the cheap.

I'd love to add a young shortstop. I'd dangle Pie and see what I could get. I'd call about S. Drew but don't see a good fit. Having said this, I don't see many young shortstops who are likely available. If we added solid players at first and third, I'd probably be willing to go another year with a defensive minded shortstop though i don't know that means we have to settle for Izzy.

I would not trade Tillman unless I were getting a young nugget in return with similar upside.

I would look at doing the following.

Sign Vmart and Lance Berkman. They would cover 1b and DH and Vmart could catch for Wieters also to give him a day off.

Trade for Mark Reynolds (3b Josh Bell and something else).

I'd love to trade for Reyes. Since the Mets would probably need a SS back we might need a third team. Maybe we can do a three way trade with Tampa and the Mets.

Scott to Tampa

Bartlett and something else from us to the Mets

Reyes to Orioles.

Replace Millwood's spot in rotation with Britton.

Roberts

Reyes

Markakis

Vmart

Berkman

Jones

Wieters

Reynolds

Pie

1. Trade Pie, Tillman, Berken and Caleb Joseph to the Brewers for Fielder.

2. Sign Fielder to an extension.

3. Go hard after Cliff Lee. Whatever it takes.

3. Re-sign Uehara to a 2 or 3 year contract.

4. Sign Uribe to a 2-year contract at SS.

5. Sign Joaquin Benoit for the bullpen.

Lineup:

Roberts - 2B

Markakis - RF

Scott - DH

Fielder - 1B

Jones - CF

Uribe - SS

Reimold - LF

Wieters - C

Bell - 3B

Bench:

Snyder - 1B/3B

Andino - SS/2B

Fox - C/DH/1B

Angle - OF

Rotation:

Lee

Guthrie

Matusz

Arrieta

Bergesen

Bullpen:

Uehara (CL)

Johnson

Benoit

Gonzalez

Hernandez

Patton

Albers

Just what I would try to do... :)

If he is posted, Darvish is #1 on my list...He should be the priority.

The Orioles should have no problem having the total investment being up to 90 million over 5 or 6 years.

There are no excuses not to upgrade Third, first and SS.

LF is the other area.

My dream scenario would be to get Darvish and CC....Trade Pie in a deal for Gordon...Lee not get arbitration offer and we can sign him without losing a pick...Sign him to a 1-2 year deal.

Scott for Furcal.

Guthrie for Alonso and Cozart.

1st- Lee

2nd- BRob

SS- Furcal

3rd- Gordon

LF- CC

CF- Jones

RF- Nick

C- Wieters

DH- Alonso..unless you want to send him down to AAA for some more at bats.

Darvish, Matusz, Arrieta, BB and Tillman.

Link

We've got to be all over this if he is available.

Right -- to solve the shortstop problem for several years, with a guy who can field, unlike Tejada, but add offense over Izturis - great idea. And for the reasons you cite, plus the Rays' money problems, he might really be available.

As a #1 priority, I'd like to see the Orioles go after Beltre for 3B (maybe 4 years/$60 million). If that doesn't work out, and Aramis Ramirez is available, that would be a nice fallback plan.

As a #2 priority, trade for Bartlett. Probably a cost saving move for Tampa, so shouldn't cost much in the way of prospects/players.

As a #3 priority, resign Koji (maybe 2 years for $8 million?).

I'm pretty comfortable with Luke playing 1B, Reimold as DH, Jones in LF, and Pie in CF. But if Pena is available for 1 year, go for it. I think it likely he has a pretty big rebound. Then slide Luke to DH, Reimold to LF, Jones to CF and Pie to 4th OF.

No need to sign a SP. Go to war with Guthrie, Matusz, Bergesen, Arrieta and Tillman, Britton to follow.

If he is posted, Darvish is #1 on my list...He should be the priority.

The Orioles should have no problem having the total investment being up to 90 million over 5 or 6 years.

There are no excuses not to upgrade Third, first and SS.

LF is the other area.

My dream scenario would be to get Darvish and CC....Trade Pie in a deal for Gordon...Lee not get arbitration offer and we can sign him without losing a pick...Sign him to a 1-2 year deal.

Scott for Furcal.

Guthrie for Alonso and Cozart.

1st- Lee

2nd- BRob

SS- Furcal

3rd- Gordon

LF- CC

CF- Jones

RF- Nick

C- Wieters

DH- Alonso..unless you want to send him down to AAA for some more at bats.

Darvish, Matusz, Arrieta, BB and Tillman.

I'd rather try to get Bartlett, and I think we have no shot at Crawford. Yonder Alonso is...well, I'm not a fan. I LOVE trying to get Alex Gordon, and I think Lee is a good signing.

As for the DH, I'd rather we just overpay for Adam Dunn. 3/27 enough? I think he's worth it.

Crawford, Furcal, Lee, and Darvish would add about $60M to the payroll before doing anything else, like pay Nick and BRob and go into arbitration with Jones, or resign Koji. Is that you Trea? :laughlol:

More like 50 million but yea, its not likely realistic. That;'s why i said dream scenario. Of coruse, you have zero ability to comprehend simple statements, so its not surprising you come back with such a stupid response. THUMBSUP! :rolleyes:

However, Lee and Furcal would be short term options and you would losing the salaries of Scott and Guthrie.

More like 50 million but yea, its not likely realistic. That;'s why i said dream scenario. Of coruse, you have zero ability to comprehend simple statements, so its not surprising you come back with such a stupid response. THUMBSUP! :rolleyes:

However, Lee and Furcal would be short term options and you would losing the salaries of Scott and Guthrie.

Lee and Furcal would cost more than Scott and Guthrie. Furcal costs $12M alone and Lee figures to get at least $6-8M. BTW Darvish will run you at least $90M, Crawford $100-120M, Furcal $12M, Lee $8M, so $60M is very realistic. You keep forgetting the Orioles surcharge for FA.

Archived