Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

Then whatever the market value is. I gave you my reasons. If you just say - I disagree, then I don't care whether or not you disagree. Don't waste my time.

Well, your reasons are really poor and I didn't feel it neccassary to waste my time to point out why you are wrong.

So, I just focused on your ridiculous idea that he would extend here for a contract that he could easily more than in FA.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, your reasons are really poor and I didn't feel it neccassary to waste my time to point out why you are wrong.

So, I just focused on your ridiculous idea that he would extend here for a contract that he could easily more than in FA.

Wow...........

How much money?

I think the O's have to be prepared to go $14M each for VMart and Beltre. I am reading things that say they will not go that high but I think it might to get them to Baltimore.

Rumor was the the Red Sox offered VMart 2/22 but he wanted 4 years.

Ohman one year 1.5 - 2M. He is healthy now. He was coming off a year when he was not health when the O's got him for 1.35M.

Beltre is my top target. He costs only money and a 2nd rounder. He's a top-5 guy with the glove, well above average with the bat (forget his stats from this year), and gives us some power at a corner IF position. And, there isn't any other free agent 3B anywhere close to his level this year or next. At both 1B and SS, there are better options in 2011 than there are this offseason. So, while I want to address all three positions, 3B is top priority in my mind.

And by the way, I don't buy the idea that he tries harder in his contract years. I'd gladly take the 2006-08 version of Beltre, none of which were contact years. His 2009 contract year stunk, which is why he only signed a one-year deal in the first place.

It makes a difference because whether you sign him or not, all you have done is get him for an extra year and you have had to give up a lot of talent to get him for that extra year.

And it is ridiculous to assume that we would be #1 on his list just because he played there.

Do you think Milwaukee is #1 on his list right now?

#1 on his list is whoever gives him the most money.

Why would he try to work out a deal with Milwaukee if they weren't #1 on his list? Of course he wants to play there, but they won't pay him enough.

Obviously if the Orioles trade for Fielder, and if he's supposedly their #1 target in FA after 2011 anyway, they should know how much it is going to take to sign him.

I think the O's have to be prepared to go $14M each for VMart and Beltre. I am reading things that say they will not go that high but I think it might to get them to Baltimore.

Rumor was the the Red Sox offered VMart 2/22 but he wanted 4 years.

Ohman one year 1.5 - 2M. He is healthy now. He was coming off a year when he was not health when the O's got him for 1.35M.

Well, it seems to me that you are valauing these guys the same.

a 4/56 deal for Beltre would be pretty good and I agree with you that it would be nice value for us.

4/56 for VMart would be terrible for us.

If this draft is as deep as everyone says it is, I'm not sure that I go after any type A free agents this year.

I would look to try to strengthen the team via trades for Furcal, Reynolds, Gordon, Bartlett/Brignac, Drew, etc.

The ONLY type A I'd go after would be Carl Crawford. He is the only player in this crop that is young and talented enough to whom we could throw a ton of money. That being said, I think it's highly doubtful he'd sign here.

Let's say we were able to add Crawford, Reynolds, Lee and Bartlett to this team. I think we'd be pretty darn competitive.

Why would he try to work out a deal with Milwaukee if they weren't #1 on his list? Of course he wants to play there, but they won't pay him enough.

Obviously if the Orioles trade for Fielder, and if he's supposedly their #1 target in FA after 2011 anyway, they should know how much it is going to take to sign him.

He isn't trying to really work out a deal with them. He knows that the Brewers won't offer enough.

Beltre is my top target. He costs only money and a 2nd rounder. He's a top-5 guy with the glove, well above average with the bat (forget his stats from this year), and gives us some power at a corner IF position. And, there isn't any other free agent 3B anywhere close to his level this year or next. At both 1B and SS, there are better options in 2011 than there are this offseason. So, while I want to address all three positions, 3B is top priority in my mind.

And by the way, I don't buy the idea that he tries harder in his contract years. I'd gladly take the 2006-08 version of Beltre, none of which were contact years. His 2009 contract year stunk, which is why he only signed a one-year deal in the first place.

Yep...Its a poor thing to say IMO.

Beltre was worth his contract in Seattle.

AGon will be a Padre or with the Red Sox in 2012. Do you really think we can outbid Boston for a player they covet?

Pujols isn't going to be an Oriole either as we are not paying $30 million per year for anybody.

That leaves Fielder who will be available this offseason BTW and won't cost as much to get as some people think.

I can't imagine any scenario where we'd even consider Pujols.

I think we CAN outbid Boston for AGon if we decide to do so. We should have just as much if not more payroll flexibility. Whether we choose to do so is another story.

And if we aren't able to sign AGon I'd certainly be fine with Fielder as a consolation prize. No doubt about it.

You guys have discussed it ad nauseum, but for the record I agree with SG that trading for Fielder is a bad idea. The upside is miles away from being worth the risk in my eyes.

Nothing wrong with going after Beltre, but a reasonable offer for him is 4/$60M and since it wouldn't be reasonable to accept that form B'more, if he's getting that offer from Boston or LAA, among others, I doubt he would be worth what we would have to offer, around 5/$80M

I can't imagine any scenario where we'd even consider Pujols.

I think we CAN outbid Boston for AGon if we decide to do so. We should have just as much if not more payroll flexibility. Whether we choose to do so is another story.

And if we aren't able to sign AGon I'd certainly be fine with Fielder as a consolation prize. No doubt about it.

You guys have discussed it ad nauseum, but for the record I agree with SG that trading for Fielder is a bad idea. The upside is miles away from being worth the risk in my eyes.

I think we have 7/$150M left over from the great Teabag fiasco, we cam offer to one of those guys.

Archived