Who are your top targets this offseason...

Sports Guy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derrek Lee is my number one. We need a right handed first baseman and it's not often you can get a Lee type player at a discount price without giving up a pick. I don't at all buy that he's in a significant decline or that his injuries this year will affect him long-term. As recently as 2009 he hit .972, and since the all-star break this year he's hit .847. I'm hoping he's high up on MacPhail's priority list (and VMart is not), especially since Andy brought him to the Cubs in the first place.

Derrek Lee is my number one. We need a right handed first baseman and it's not often you can get a Lee type player at a discount price without giving up a pick. I don't at all buy that he's in a significant decline or that his injuries this year will affect him long-term. As recently as 2009 he hit .972, and since the all-star break this year he's hit .847. I'm hoping he's high up on MacPhail's priority list (and VMart is not), especially since Andy brought him to the Cubs in the first place.

This is a good call. I'd prefer him before VMart....I think Derrek Lee could be a classic change of scenery guy.

Pie and Tillman for Furcal.

Sign Dunn to DH. Scott to 1b. If Dunn absolutely will not DH, then Dunn at first and DH Scott.

Sign Beltre.

Sign a veteran 4th or 5th starter type.

Resign Wiggy and Koji.

2b: Roberts

RF: Markakis

3B: Beltre

DH: Dunn

CF: Jones

1B: Scott

C: Wieters

LF: Reimold

SS: Furcal

That is a killer lineup and assuming our young pitching looks like they did in August and September, its one capable of competing in 2011.

Pie and Tillman for Furcal.

Sign Dunn to DH. Scott to 1b. If Dunn absolutely will not DH, then Dunn at first and DH Scott.

Sign Beltre.

Sign a veteran 4th or 5th starter type.

Resign Wiggy and Koji.

2b: Roberts

RF: Markakis

3B: Beltre

DH: Dunn

CF: Jones

1B: Scott

C: Wieters

LF: Reimold

SS: Furcal

That is a killer lineup and assuming our young pitching looks like they did in August and September, its one capable of competing in 2011.

What contracts would you be willing to give?

I would love to have Lee twins!

I don't know contracts very well so its easy for me to say, "give them the moon".

I really hope one day the response to wanting a Cliff Lee type isn't "yeah right".

Bring in the Lee's and a better SS and go to war. Let Snyder and Bell battle it out for 3B and bring back Wigginton just in case.

1st base: Alonso, Lee, Pena, Kotchman, Butler

3rd: Gordon, Reynolds, Beltre(if he can be signed for 4/60 or less)

SS: Hardy, Barlett, Drew, Brignac, Furcal, Cozart

I would be willing to give 1 year deals to Lee and Pena...Would be more willing to give 2 years to Lee but the salaries would have to be 8 million or lower.

I would make players like Guthrie, Scott, Tillman, VDH, DH and Pie available..along with all of our prospects.

I would prefer to keep the young pitching but I would deal it in the right deal.

My best case scenario would be to trade for Butler and Gordon(lots of combos could work here...Pie in the deal though).

Scott for Furcal.

Sign DLee to a 1/8 type deal.

Then, look to add a LFer in FA or a trade.

Trade Adam Jones and Hobgood to the Mets for Jose Reyes. Make it a 3 way with a team that will give the Mets more prospects, because Jones might not be a good fit for the Mets. It's a hefty price, and he's had injuries, but he's healthy now and that good. Machado, Givens, and Shoop don't fit into the equation, because they're years away and may change positions. If Machado stays at SS, trade Reyes in 3 years. Move Pie to CF and Scott to LF. Re-sign Patterson to back them up.

Trade Bell and Snyder to AZ for Mark Reynolds. Their GM said they need to cut strikeouts and salary. He's the guy. Of course, if they play Bell, they get SO's back, but so what.

Sign one of Lee, Pena, or Berkman play 1B to a 2 year deal with heavy incentives - say 6 mil per year guaranteed with additional possible 4 mil per year incentives.

Trade Adam Jones and Hobgood to the Mets for Jose Reyes. Make it a 3 way with a team that will give the Mets more prospects, because Jones might not be a good fit for the Mets. It's a hefty price, and he's had injuries, but he's healthy now and that good. Machado, Givens, and Shoop don't fit into the equation, because they're years away and may change positions. If Machado stays at SS, trade Reyes in 3 years. Move Pie to CF and Scott to LF. Re-sign Patterson to back them up.

Trade Bell and Snyder to AZ for Mark Reynolds. Their GM said they need to cut strikeouts and salary. He's the guy. Of course, if they play Bell, they get SO's back, but so what.

Sign one of Lee, Pena, or Berkman play 1B to a 2 year deal with heavy incentives - say 6 mil per year guaranteed with additional possible 4 mil per year incentives.

Why would trade Jones for 1 year of Reyes?

1B: Fielder, Konerko, Martinez

3B: Beltre, Ramirez, Inge

LF: Werth

Beltre is the #1 target with Werth #1A. We basically have to land one of those players as our #3 hitter.

Fielder is #2 as he is available now, and there is no guarantee he'll want to sign with us after 2011 if we don't trade for him no matter how much money we throw at him.

Konerko or Martinez would be acceptable, but only if the team finds a 1B solution that will be ready in a couple of years like trading for a Smoak or Alonso type bat.

I've already been over how much I'd give each player, so I feel no need to repeat it.

Ideally this team lands Beltre and Fielder this offseason so you only have to add one or two more players to reach the playoffs in 2012.

We need difference making talent on this club, so that has to be the goal this offseason. Stopgaps like Pena and Lee will no longer cut it.

1B: Fielder, Konerko, Martinez

3B: Beltre, Ramirez, Inge

LF: Werth

Beltre is the #1 target with Werth #1A. We basically have to land one of those players as our #3 hitter.

Fielder is #2 as he is available now, and there is no guarantee he'll want to sign with us after 2011 if we don't trade for him no matter how much money we throw at him.

Konerko or Martinez would be acceptable, but only if the team finds a 1B solution that will be ready in a couple of years like trading for a Smoak or Alonso type bat.

I've already been over how much I'd give each player, so I feel no need to repeat it.

Ideally this team lands Beltre and Fielder this offseason so you only have to add one or two more players to reach the playoffs in 2012.

But if we trade for him, it is a guarantee he will re-sign?

Archived