Rank the drafts of the Jordan era

2005: Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Raynor and D. Hernandez have reached the majors. Erbe, Spoone and Egan are probably the best prospects left on the board. Note that Egan was drafted but didn't sign and we drafted him again in 2006; Raynor didn't sign and was drafted later by another team. The O's had all their picks and a 1st round supplemental (Olson).

2006: Berken has reached the majors. Britton is one of the top 2 prospects and a sure bet to make the majors barring injuries. Best remaining prospects appear to be Adams, Beato, Henson and Egan (see above). Rowell is barely considered a prospect. The O's had all their picks and a 1st round supplemental (Beato).

2007: Wieters and Arrieta have reached the majors. Mahoney and Angle are probably the best two prospects left on the board. (We also drafted Dan Klein in 2007, but he didn't sign with us then.) Not a lot of depth here, but we had no 2nd or 3rd round pick.

2008: Matusz has reached the majors. Avery and Hoes remain top prospects at age 20. Joseph, Beal, Miclat, and Bundy are all still decent prospects. The O's had all their picks.

2009: Hobgood shows signs of being a bust, but it's still early. Givens, Townsend and Berry are showing some promise. There are a few others who haven't had much chance to show anything. The O's had all their picks.

2010: Machado is very highly regarded. Klein, Mummey, Bridwell and Schrader had solid debuts. The O's had no 2nd rounder.

I think I have to go with 2007 as the best, even though it's a shallow class. Wieters and Arrieta bring a lot at the top and I think Angle and Mahoney will get big league time. The 2008 class is probably 2nd, followed by 2010, 2005, 2009 and 2006.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say 2007 is probably the best. However, 2005 is very good too. There is alot of depth in that class with Reimold and DH expected to be solid contributors. Also, Snyder, Erbe and Spoone all have decent shots at sticking in the majors. Olson didn't work out well for us, but we did turn him into Felix Pie.

Well, 07 gave us the most premium talent. Both players heading into the 07 college season were early first rounders I believe(I know Wieters was, but I also think Arrieta was). 08 also gave us some good talent, but since we went the HS route on everyone but our 1st rounder, we won't know exactly what we have for a couple more years. 09 gave us a lot of depth in breakout candidates, but nothing to show for yet. 2010 is more like the drafts of 07 and 08 in that we actually have some premium talent.

I'd rank them at this point:

The issue here is, if you had asked me this last year at this time, 09 would be right up at the top. I guess its a snap shot of how things look right now, but in the end, it doesn't matter how things look right now. It matters how things look in 5 years and beyond....

Hmmm, theres the million dollar question.....

I was more getting at the fact that it's odd to say "one of these kids is going to be really good." If it could be either, why would it only be one? Shouldn't be "Both Hoes/Avery could be damn good ballplayers"?

I was more getting at the fact that it's odd to say "one of these kids is going to be really good." If it could be either, why would it only be one? Shouldn't be "Both Hoes/Avery could be damn good ballplayers"?

Who do you like better? The way I see it, Avery is toolsier and may have a higher ceiling, but Hoes has a better chance of being a solid major leaguer. I like Hoes a little more.

Who do you like better? The way I see it, Avery is toolsier and may have a higher ceiling, but Hoes has a better chance of being a solid major leaguer. I like Hoes a little more.

I have been sitting on Hoes for a while -- have had him ranked 9th, 11th and 3rd in the system these past three years. I really believe in the bat and think he can be serviceable at 2B.

Avery as shown steady improvement to the point that I consider him a legit potential MLer at this point. His ceiling is higher than is Hoes's, but taking probability into account I'd rather have Hoes if I'm BAL.

I'm looking for Hoes's power to emerge next season in a big way--big enough that a lot of people will be asking where the heck that came from. He put up a near-spectacular month in Frederick this spring before the mono struck.

Put a .450 SLG together with his plate discipline and OBP skills, and you've got something.

This is not to take anything away from Avery. I understand why people pair them and want to make comparisons, and Avery might well have a future as bright as Hoes, but I have a sense that Hoes is about to emerge as a big time prospect, especially if he shows that he can play at 2B.

I hope the power does emerge for Hoes but have there been any signs that it will or should emerge? I don't recall any scouting reports that suggested anything more than average power down the road. I haven't seen high double totals to suggest those might be converted to homeruns down the road. Hoes is a good hitter with good plate discipline. He's going to have to become an exceptional hitter or develop some real power to be anything other than ordinary in my book. I hope he does. I'm just not sure that I expect it.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543321

Well, consider this:

Originally Posted by Moose Milligan

Does Hoes have any kind of power potential? 15 homer guy?

Yes. Look at the power he was starting to put up in may before the mono. I was told that Machado and Hoes were on a different level offensively when it came to the mini-camp.

Most scouts seem to think he can end up a Markakis-type power hitter, maybe a 20-25 guy.

http://www.forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2268824&postcount=15

Hoes for sure. Avery has a pretty high ceiling though.

You're the scout though. I'm just going by the stats and my eyes.

Got it -- was just tripped up by your wording some. I agree with you that Hoes is a great talent and Avery has some great upside, too.

Archived