Mets blog: Reyes Available, Orioles Interested

BaltimoreTerp

http://7traintoshea.com/?p=3026

According to sources, the Mets have put word out to teams that SS Jose Reyes is available and will look to trade Reyes during the Winter Meetings.

The Red Sox, Orioles, and Rays have called to get a feel for the situation and trade talks will likely heat up during the winter, the sources believe.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt and consider the source, blah blah blah.

Double-digit-page thread starts...now!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rays????

Last time I checked they had a bunch of shortstops on their MLB roster and were cutting payroll, how does adding an 11 million dollar SS work for them?

I can't answer this question entirely, but Jason Bartlett was a miserable shortstop last season, fieldingwise. I don't know if they believe S-Rod and Brignac can be better than second basemen defensively, and both were actually pretty not good at the plate. The Rays, if they want to keep winning need to upgrade at short-- that's my only rationale for this.

I can't answer this question entirely, but Jason Bartlett was a miserable shortstop last season, fieldingwise. I don't know if they believe S-Rod and Brignac can be better than second basemen defensively, and both were actually pretty not good at the plate. The Rays, if they want to keep winning need to upgrade at short-- that's my only rationale for this.

Agreed. The Rays make a lot of sense, IMO. And, from what I've read, are going to possibly make Niemann and Shields available this winter. I could see the Mets biting on a package containing one of those guys and some prospects for Reyes.

If the Rays had 11 million to spend on one guy, they would keep CC.

I don't see how the Rays fit here.

Good to hear the O's have contacted the Mets over this. At the very least MacPhail is keeping his options open.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=308502&id=3605

Sources tell Matt Pignataro of 7 Train to Shea that the Mets "have put out word to teams" that Jose Reyes is available and will look to trade him at the upcoming winter meetings.

It's easy to be skeptical here, but despite a down year, Reyes remains one of the game's best shortstops and could bring back real value in a trade. Besides, it would be silly for new Mets GM Sandy Alderson to say any player is untouchable. According to Pignataro, the Red Sox, Orioles and Rays have all kicked the tires on the situation. Reyes, 27, is under contract for $11 million next season, after which he will become a free agent for the first time in his career.

They might feel that Brignac can be part of a package for Reyes instead of hoping he can be the everyday shortstop right away for a contender.

Everything I have heard about the Rays is that they need to cut payroll, which is why Crawford and Pena will walk. Maybe this might make sense if they trade a guy like Shields to the Mets, and then deal Bartlett to someone else thereby making the combined salaries a wash.

If the Red Sox want him they have more resources to trade for him unfortunately. I'd love to see the Orioles get Reyes, but I don't see how they can come up with a package that wouldn't destroy the core of this team and that the Red Sox couldn't beat.

Archived