MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart

Arthur_Bryant

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trea switched from Gonzo to Fielder because of Gonzo's shoulder injury.

Yes Trea wants to give 25 million a year for seven years to a 300 pound vegetarian.

As I have said many times before, Fielder would like like Big Vis by the end of the contract!

Prince

fielder.jpg

Viscera

BigdaddyV.jpg

Says VMart was club's top FA target.

Zrebiec Article in Sun

Sounds like Martinez really wanted to go to Los Tigres.

I think the real question is - does everyone think VMart SHOULD have been our #1 target??? I am a big advocate of Dunn ($12MM) and Beltre ($16MM), you should be able to get both of them for only ~$5MM more per season then Fielder & AGon ($22-25MM) will cost next Year.

I think the real question is - does everyone think VMart SHOULD have been our #1 target??? I am a big advocate of Dunn ($12MM) and Beltre ($16MM)' date=' you should be able to get both of them for only ~$5MM more per season then Fielder & AGon ($22-25MM) will cost next Year.[/quote']

Have you read the thread? Its fairly obvious that MOST of us did not think VMart should have been the top target.

I think the real question is - does everyone think VMart SHOULD have been our #1 target??? I am a big advocate of Dunn ($12MM) and Beltre ($16MM)' date=' you should be able to get both of them for only ~$5MM more per season then Fielder & AGon ($22-25MM) will cost next Year.[/quote']

He may have been the #1 target that AM realistically thought he could get.

Dunn is a better hitter, but the questions about his defense and willingness to DH may have been significant considering the deal he will get. I don't want to rehash the defense here; there is not enough info available for us to really know.

I think we are kidding ourselves about being able to lure AGon or Fielder next year, barring an unexpectedly strong season in 2011.

i think we are kidding ourselves about being able to lure AGon or Fielder next year, barring an unexpectedly strong season in 2011.

Which is why you trade for one of them now to let them find out why other players want to stay in Baltimore once they play there.

If the premium FAs apparently still don't want to play in Baltimore, the Orioles are going to need every advantage they can get.

Dunn is a better hitter, but the questions about his defense and willingness to DH may have been significant considering the deal he will get. I don't want to rehash the defense here; there is not enough info available for us to really know.

I think we are kidding ourselves about being able to lure AGon or Fielder next year, barring an unexpectedly strong season in 2011.

I think very few people are kidding themselves.

Which is why you trade for one of them now to let them find out why other players want to stay in Baltimore once they play there.

If the premium FAs apparently still don't want to play in Baltimore, the Orioles are going to need every advantage they can get.

Great idea. So let's not only not end up with them, let's subtract 4 or 5 good young players from our team while we're at it!!!!!!

We can complain about his defense all we want but in the end that is what is keeping him affordable.....beggeres can't be choosers.

IMO we have 5% chance of getting Fielder/AGON next year with the LAA, Red Sox, Mets and possibly the cubs/white sox bidding

3. I do NOT agree that Martinez should have been our TOP target, but being that he WAS, then MacPhail should have done what was needed to get HIS top target.

To summarize, I do not blame MacPhail for not landing Martinez. I fault him for making him his top target to begin with!

He may have been the top target that MacPhail realistically thought he could get in terms of budget and availability.

Who has wanted to stay here in the last 12 years?

Archived