MacPhail Claims O's Had No Chance to Match Offer for VMart

Arthur_Bryant

4 years, $60 million is a ridiculously stupid expenditure for a 1st baseman with a career .838 OPS.

But it would get him here.

We are at the point where we need to land talent.

If we don't want to overpay in $, then it's going to mean trading our younger players.

Frankly we need to do both.

I agree that Martinez wasn't exactly a great target, but he was MacPhail's top target...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This board is always damned if you do and and damned if you don't. The truth of the matter is we are not the quarterback, we do not have the new sports car, and we do not throw the parties, so how do we get the girl? We have to offer something that sets us aside from the competition and in the Orioles case that means going beyond what seems logical to other teams. I would be much more satisfied if we at least took some risk and were bad instead of treading water which we have been doing for over a decade now. I am not saying be reckless, but I would be all for giving up a more then nice package of young prospects to bring in a proven player like Fielder.

And then what happens after he walks after next season?

I understand your point, but I think we need to look deeper here. The money is definitely out of control, but you aren't getting a top tier FA without overspending. Making an offer for 115 million and saying your offer is 'flexible' leaves the door open to essentially the exact thing that happened with Tex... you don't get a chance to see how flexible you really are. You have to put your best offer first when you're the Orioles, if someone wants to come out and beat it -- thats fine, but at least you know your best offer was on the table when it was topped and not your initial offer.

How much would you offer if you put your MAXIMUM offer on the table at first? If it's below 125 million, I'm not so sure it's feasible...

I 100% agree.

But it would get him here.

We are at the point where we need to land talent.

If we don't want to overpay in $, then it's going to mean trading our younger players.

Would you seriously want to have Victor Martinez as your 1st baseman for the next 4 years?

You evaluate what you think the player is worth and you make an offer. I would imagine that MacPhail thought his $12 million over 4 years was extremely aggressive.

If Victor Martinez had wanted to come here, he'd be here and nobody else would have even had a chance to offer.

A blank check? Come on. Even the Trea has his limits.

Trea would obviously start the bidding at 8 years, $300 million. :mwahaha:

Yeah, but it's not just about the 8/300, it's how it's presented. Would AM wine and dine him enough to accept that offer?

Judging by what Tex got, I'd say about 4 or 5 teams would beat this offer!

Look at what teams were in on it though.

Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Nationals

The Red Sox want Gonzalez, so that takes them out of the bidding.

The Angels have Morales for cheap.

The Yankees already have Tex and have Jorge Posada as their DH

The Nationals could be a threat

Now you look at the teams that need a first baseman of Fielder's caliber and compare that with the teams that might offer that deal.

The Rangers, Nationals and Orioles are the three teams that I could see offering that type of $.

Heck the Rangers might beat us to Fielder this offseason...

Just for giggles, let's pretend Adrian Gonzalez was a free agent this year.

What would be your initial offer to him?

Look at what teams were in on it though.

Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Nationals

The Red Sox want Gonzalez, so that takes them out of the bidding.

The Angels have Morales for cheap.

The Yankees already have Tex and have Jorge Posada as their DH

The Nationals could be a threat

Now you look at the teams that need a first baseman of Fielder's caliber and compare that with the teams that might offer that deal.

The Rangers, Nationals and Orioles are the three teams that I could see offering that type of $.

Heck the Rangers might beat us to Fielder this offseason...

Am I missing something here? If the Red Sox want Gonzo, how does that take them out of the bidding for Gonzo, which is who we are talking about?????

Am I missing something here? If the Red Sox want Gonzo, how does that take them out of the bidding for Gonzo, which is who we are talking about?????

Trea switched from Gonzo to Fielder because of Gonzo's shoulder injury.

Yes Trea wants to give 25 million a year for seven years to a 300 pound vegetarian.

Archived